1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warmoth Resale Value.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RobertPaulson, Mar 13, 2009.

1. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    Not looking for a specific price on my bass as I know we aren't supposed to do that here, but I've been thinking about selling my 5 string fenderbird so I can build a 4 - I just don't touch it anymore because I'm pretty much only playing 4 strings these days. I was curious what the resale on these is like - I put quite a bit of money into it as I had to have warmoth do custom routes to make the body work for a 5 string neck. I won't even try selling it if I have to take a huge loss on it. I actually can't even believe I'm thinking of selling this bass, but GAS is what it is.

Thanks

2. I think you'll be keeping it, unfortunately. :(

3. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Warmoth resale ? zip, noda, none, If you have say 600 in parts you can expect to get 300 back. Parts that sucker out and you might approach getting even. I have been down this road. I sold this earlier this year I got under 400 for it, in retrospect I should have canceled the auction. 012.

4. Big John66

Big John66

Feb 12, 2008
    Plan on keeping your Fenderbird. If you part it out you might get 50%, maybe. I tend to keep most of my Warmoth stuff for just that reason. It's kinda fun having a big batch of necks and bodies to mix and match.

5. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    The resale value of Warmoth basses is usually pretty lousy and the custom parts might be hard to move individually.

Then again, it is a fairly unique piece so you could always ppost an ad and try your luck. After all, you only need one buyer who is willing to pay what you want.

6. When I tried to trade in my Gecko (see user name) I was told Warmoths are basically a kit bass. Therefore they would not retain value. I got mine at a really good price used. I think I had that bass for 6 years and sold it for what I paid. $360 which was really cheap to begin.

7. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    Hmmm, I think I'll probably just hang on to it, and save up to build another :D

thanks for the input guys.

8. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    The only way I could see even approaching a good resale on a bass built of new warmoth parts would be if you bought the parts raw and had the ability to do a pro-finish job yourself. Even then, you'd probably take a hit.

Still, why not try? The worst that can happen is that it doesn't sell at your asking price, and you keep it.

9. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    I have built several over the years and still have most of them because of the resale value.

Some that I have gotten rid of I have traded to friends and they still have them because they are good basses.

If you have one you like keep...You will mostly likely want to kick yourself later if you don't.

:bag:;)

Warmoth just kick booty in plain English.

10. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    The other issue buying a Warmoth from someone or from Ebay, is you have no idea on the set up & assembly. No guarantees it even sounds or plays good. With a name brand you have a better idea of what you get.

11. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    If you're a supporting member of Talkbass you can ask/request advice on any pricing of basses you want. It's just not allowed by non-supporting members.

12. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    over half the warmoth builds go for under $400 and probably 90% go for under $500. You'll be LUCKY to get 50% of what you put into it.

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Selling it somewhere like eBay, you will take a pretty hefty loss.

Maybe selling it here on TB where people know you, you might get more because people may have seen a build thread, see how much time and effort you put into it, may have gotten GAS looking at pics you posted in other threads.....

...but then again these people may want a "friends" discount/deal since they "know" you on TB.

:)

14. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    Yeah, no way I could let this baby go for $500, hell I spent almost that much on the neck :D. I'm just going to build it a little brother, perhaps a darkstar setup instead of MM this time though...

15. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Yeah man, keep it around, that's a sick bass - honestly, just because you're not playing the 5er now, doesnt mean you won't pick it back up to hear that low B ;)

16. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    See, the best solution was right under your nose all along. :hyper:

17. I believe that discussing values is kosher for supporting members. The issue is non-supporters asking for a value in an apparent attempt to slyly fish for a sale offer; if someone reading this thread were to offer you $_____ for your bass, you could legitimately sell here.

Edit: Just saw stflbn's post- what he said.

18. Hey, you could always part it out, you may not get exactly what you want price wise, but you do get a little more return!