Warmoth T-Bird....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZenBass, Feb 9, 2004.

1. I have always really really digged the Gibson T-Birds lo0oks...for me it is a timeless shape....that is different to almost anything out....!!!...but there are some issues that have kinda prevented me from ever buying one....

The un-versatility of it...it the biggest meaniest rock bass you can get...but...for finger style the pups just go sloppy...with a pick ...GET IN but since i am mostly a finger style player.....??

The neck...you cannot have a slappy happy time on a thunderbird neck...(again goin bk to the versatility).....and of course the constant neck dive issues...i like a bass when u let go of it...to stay where i left it..hehe...

That why i have always toyed with the idea of makin a warmoth Thunderbird ...but have really no idea if the necks are slappy happy...or the finger tone is better...i would say they are due to it being a bolt on neck...so0 access to the upper frets can be done now..its made a ash (tho i would prolly order swamp ash for the extra bite...and light weight)....

What pups to put in it tho??.....

hardware would be a combination of hipshot tuners and gotoh bridges...

Board would be a black bounded maple board...

What finish to have on the body...???

any suggestion what would lo0ok co0ol... :)

or has anyone put together a warmoth t-bird..and would like to share picccciiiesss

cheers buddies...
  2. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    You'll still have neck dive issues but you can fix those with creative strap button placement. I to have thought about going the Warmoth route for a 5 string Tbird but built on the 4 string body and 8 string neck(with modified headstock).
    Pickups? oh man....double MM humbuckers for sure. Either that or 2 double J hbers or 2 P hbers.
    When I get around to doing this I was thinking of the ash body with maple/maple neck as well...with either a tobacco burst or Traditional Sunburst.
    Definitely be one rocknroll looking bass.
  3. Crimsonghost_07

Sep 17, 2003
    This is what im currently in the process building, i just need another set of 1/4 pounders and the tuners, then its goes in for paint and im done.

Specs are Fender Neck, tele headstock.
    double duncan 1/4 pounders, 18bolt bart preamp, V/B/ bass-treble stack, oly white with all black hardware. strung up with 50-110 rotos, this thing is going to be a f'in animal.
  4. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    FENDERBIRD!!!! I like it.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, for the neck dive, I heard the cure for that on a bolt on T-bird is to put the strap button on the heel of the bass itself, facing the headstock. I hear that kinda elimnates the dive. There was some site with a coupla pics of a guy that did it.
  6. i really dig that Fenderbird tho i think i like the idea of dual MM humbuckers....tho i am fan of the old style soapbars...i lo0ove them to ...such a clean tone....

but i am unsure on a few things with warmoth...

The nuts arent ready cut..??... is this correct??...

I have all the tools for solidering and stuff....i will get warmoth to finish the body and necks....and prolly pay a local guitar wizard to put it together....i live in the UK so0o...he would have to be good...

Also thinkin about doin something weird....

Do warmoth do custom routin for pickups...cause i was thinkin of getting GB to custom install their pickups into it...

Would be fecking mint...!!!....the best soundiing T-Bird around...

Also thinkin of getting a a Quilted Mapel top on it...what colour...??...hmmmz

7. ....man there is so0o much to think about....

anyone got a list of what i need to order....cause i am bound to leave sumthing out....like screws lol...

just so i can price things up and stuff....!!!...
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    For slappy? I'd put two EMG35Js with passive controls, black hardware and a solid black finish. Tortise shell pickgaurd and shaller strap locks.

Maple neck, rosewood board, and a matched (i.e. black) Warmoth 2+2 headstock.

It don't get much more rock'n'roll, and the EMGs are a great pickup for slap and then kick butt all around.
  9. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    man! You guys are making me want to get off my butt and get moving on my 5 string! Tbirds are IMO THE rocknroll bass.
    (I love the double P Tbird...looks great!)
  10. BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    Make sure you get everything you need at once. I had my bass built but for strap-nuts, pickguard screws and a string tree. When I called Warmoth to see if they would make an exception with their $25 minimum to get these parts, I was laughed at and then hung up on. And this was after I just bought EVERYTHING else from them 2 weeks earlier. :mad:

Just a heads-up.
  11. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    I bought a 76 T-bird when they first came out. I moved the strap button. I added 1-2 lbs of fishing weights to the control cavity. That helped the most. It was still neck heavy.

I did some recording with that bass back in 76 in a decent studio. It sounded beautiful on tape.

Beautiful bass design. Please let us know how you resolved the balance issue.
  12. Thundercaster/Telebird.

I like the style.
  13. Crimsonghost_07

Sep 17, 2003
    they can be jerks at warmoth, like how all replacment bodys have to have the trussrod access route and they wont delete the option, so it will look dumb if you are running a headstock adjustable neck.

Other than that they are great to deal with!
    i needed to order a few extra odds and ends and they waived the $25 min beuase i told them that i just ordered like $300 worth of parts a week or 2 prior. And that is understandable.