1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warmoth Tele neck on a Dirnt body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonynoriega, Mar 13, 2013.

1. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I already have the Warmoth Tele neck (it's in a Jazz width which I like) and have the opportunity to buy a Dirnt '51 body. Will that work?? The Warmoth neck heel is rounded but is that such a big deal when it comes to functionality and sound? Any other issues I might not know about?

Thanks!

2. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I'm not into a Jazz kinda nut on a slab Precision body (but it's just me: the bigger the bass - neck, body, whatever - the better for me, so don't mind) other than that, I'm pretty certain you would ultimately solve the few problems of stock Dirnt's MIM Fender necks (I hope you won't place a Warmoth neck on a Dirnt's agathis MII Squier body!)

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    A round heel will fit into a square cavity but a square heel will not fit into a round.

Yes, it'll work. If your Warmoth neck has the extra fret over-hang, it'll hide the square gaps around the pickguard. Good luck!

4. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Yes, the neck has the overhang to cover the voids. Wallace, I'm trying to acquire one of the Dirnt bodies that's not a cheapie....I think (not sure) the better ones are made in Mexico? Thanks for your input.

5. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Squier sometimes make a few distinctive models as well, but this is not the case with Dirnt's replicas

Those are black/white finished agathis bodies that are nothing like Fender's black/vintage white/sunburst ash bodies

The thing you obtain with a Warmoth neck on it is a Jazz nut, if you dig so, and a sure better overall quality piece. Original MIM necks were not always "perfect"

I had a vintage white one I still miss that souded huge, thanx to ash body, BadAssII bridge and Custom '59 split pickup, yet its neck was not on par with other bass highlights.

So please choose between those three finishings on ash body and beware black/white agathis Squier Dirnt's body;)

Cheers,
    Wallace