1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warmoth/USACG 5's - Show and tell

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emblymouse, May 4, 2010.

1. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Having recently completed a fantastic Warmoth/USACG 51 P build (my 1st) I am considering trying my hand at a 5 string now. I know the physics come into play differently in a good B string. I'd like to hear from those who have built a parts 5'ver using these sources and gauge your satisfaction with it.

I used a Warmoth body and USAGC neck on my 51 and they fit like a glove. Did I get lucky here? Or are these specs so universal as to not be an issue?

2. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Check with Tommy @ USACG. I've read in previous posts that while 4-string Warmoth/USACG P and J necks and bodies are mostly interchangeable, the 5-strings might be a different story.

3. JaySwear

JaySwear

Apr 15, 2010
    Gaithersburg, MD
    i'm not sure if the parts for warmoth and USACG would be interchangeable when it came to 5 stringers. but one other thing to keep in mind is that the only 5 strings USACG offers are 34" scale lengths, and almost all of warmoth's are as well. warmoth also offers the gecko which is 35" scale length. i've heard some people says 34" 5 strings are unplayable and heard others say the string tension is perfect. so just something else to keep in mind

4. The USAGC and Warmoth 5-string parts are NOT interchangeable. I've already asked... 4-strings are different - universal specs.

I've built both 34" and 35" Warmoth 5's with excellent results in all cases. Take your time, set it up properly (nut must be cut perfect, pickups proper height, etc.), and you can't really go wrong. If you are drilling for your own bridge, make SURE it's in the proper place. I've had to move bridges before, and it's not a big deal, but better if it's not an issue to begin with.

Here some I've built:

P5
    front%20whole.

Gecko 5
    IMG_0741.

I'm working on a replacement body for the Gecko (body under 3lb, meaning an 8lb Gecko!).

I haven't built any 5-strings with USAGC parts, but I do have a couple 4-strings USAGC necks and they are FANTASTIC. Would love to try a 5-string.

Have fun!

5. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Ok, I might have to go all USACG. The neck I got was really nice. I was amazed that I didn't need to have the frets levelled and dressed, I popped it on and set 'er up and bingo!

I am a 34" guy as it turns out so no biggie there. Quartersawn would be nice. Warmoth offers 1 3/4" nut as well as 1 7/8, I'll have to inquire if that is an option at USACG.

Lowfreq that P5 is inspirational. Is it a 72 slab body?

6. Both of the USAGC necks I have (4-strings, fretted w/rosewood, fretless w/ebony and 1/4-sawn shaft) are awesome! They also do custom thickness in 0.01" increments, and I believe they can do different radiuses. Warmoth's stuff is great, and fewer options means it's more "plug and play", but it is what it is and there's no changing it unless you do so yourself - which I'm ok with.

The P5 is actually a regular Deluxe P5 body from the Showcase. There was an chip on the bottom of the heel that was almost invisible, but the price was so low that the finish was basically free.

I prefer a more traditional P-shaped body, so if I do another Warmoth, I will go with the '54 slab and then add elbow/tummy cuts, shave a little out of the lower cutaway for better access (yeah, I use the dusty frets), and possibly take 1/8" off the thickness of the body for weight reduction. I made similar changes to an Alder Gecko body and got the weight down to 2lb 14oz.

7. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    USACG offers '35 scale necks, I have one on my main gigging bass. 34' or 35' the set up determines if a bass is playable IMO, scale is a matter of preference

Attached Files:

8. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, that Gecko looks familiar!!

9. Hey Bernard!

How's my baby doing? I'm not making much progress on my new body lately - too much work, too many gigs... the usual.

I'd love to see some pics when you get it done.

10. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I'm really interested in hearing what others have to say on this. I am very interested in building a 5 string J style bass from one of these companies. I'm leaning toward USACG because I hear nothing but good things about their necks. I want a bass with tighter string spacing similar to my Stingray 5 (17.5mm at bridge) which I love. Maybe 18mm spacing or so.

Dose anyone know the width at the heel of the USACG 5 string necks? I can't find the spec anywhere on their site. I can live with the nut width of 1 7/8".