1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warmoth Value Relative to Other Fender'esk

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fair Warning, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods!

Community,
    What if you saw a Warmoth Jazz Bass set up the way you want it. How would you value it? For used MIA Fenders, Stingrays and G&L's, I would expect to pay $800 and up. I know that Warmoth has a good rep, but how does it compare with the real deal, when determining value and sale price.

Thanks!

2. Lower than they charge for their work, that's for sure. I inexplicably really really like/GAS for this :

[​IMG]

But there's no way anyone, much less me, is paying $550 for it! That's ridiculous.

I'd say for a whole bass, maybe in and around a grand or so. Their quality is quite amazing.

--Silvie

EDIT of course it depends on the woods used, etc. You're not gonna pay the same for an alder/maple/rosewood as a bubinga/wenge/wenge and such.

3. 4andnomore

4andnomore

Nov 14, 2008
    They're good quality parts. Over quality depend on who does the build, wiring etc.. Unfortunately, resale value is nowhere near that of Fender and the like. At least that's my experience.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Warmouth basses will allways be parts basses made at home. Value is even lower if its unfinished body finished by buyer cause then its not a pro finish. Is homemade finish parts bass. Might look splendid but its dollar value ends with the original buyer being able to justify their investment for themself. One could compare to carvin kit basses. Carvin wont put their name on it. No headstock brand name on it. Cause they dont wont anyone thinking its a carvin built and finished bass. Its not. At least with a branded Carvin with same specs and finish color one might choose themself, its a Carvin with carvin resale value. The same cant be said with carvin kit version of the same bass.

A bubinga wenge ovankol warmouth may have a little more value for the woods, but no where near the value of a regular factory built & branded bubinga wenge ovangkol woods bass by company like warwick. Even if one thinks it plays and sounds better then the factory branded one.

In the end a fender type copy warmouth bass has no more value then other noname fender copy basses in my eyes. Harsh reality, but true. With the noname factory completed fender copy you can add upgrade hardware and pups and electronics. Bought from warmouth if one wants.

Back in the 70's lots of people bought warmouth necks to upgrade the necks on their american fender bass. The value of the bass dropped immediately from doing that for resale purposes. But so what, the neck upgrade accomplished what buyer wanted and price of the upgrade was easilly justified by the person. If the person then also upgraded the pups and hardware, more money invested that is easilly justified by the buyer for better bass for them. Value droped further for resale of course to collectors.

5. ^^ Question is, is he buying it for the resale value or does he just want a nice bass?

--Silvie

6. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

I don't know, that's an expensive top, a complicated finish, and does it also have the natural/taped binding? $550 for all that really isn't ridiculous.

7. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Warmoth stuff is top notch but holds no value for resale due to the fact that if you use a lot of different build options, you have to find someone who likes/wants a AAAA maple top, rear cavity routing, 4 pot, side mounted jack type bass.

I dont agree with the "if it was finished at home, its not a pro finish" thing. There are people out there who possess the skill to finish a bass to surpass the likes of production basses that you pull off the shelf. For instance, there is a TB member here who has a Warmoth build that he's finished himself and it feels and looks as good as the Warwick that he also has.

8. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    The parts are very nice. I think the quality is easily as good as fender. Seems like basses with a Fender neck Warmoth body are worth way more than a Warmoth neck Fender body or all Warmoth. A lot of people don't even know about them. Locally there has been a nice Warmoth for sale for $400 for quite some time. It started at $800. I have a feeling if that headstock said fender it would have been gone a long time ago.

"I dont agree with the "if it was finished at home, its not a pro finish" thing. There are people out there who possess the skill to finish a bass to surpass the likes of production basses that you pull off the shelf. For instance, there is a TB member here who has a Warmoth build that he's finished himself and it feels and looks as good as the Warwick that he also has."

I got a unfinished body from Warmoth and finished it myself. The luthier in town started telling me how much he loved Warmoth finishes when I took it in to have a nut put on. If you are patient and make sure you get the right materials it is super easy.

9. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods!

Thanks all. You all may have provided the needed value information that I was looking for.

Too bad.....it is a very nice Jazz that would work great, but I am not interested in paying twice as much as what it is worth.