Warmoth vs. Allparts Necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cabooke, Apr 2, 2005.

1. cabooke

Jan 26, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    Hey all. I have a '72 Fender Jazz that might need a new neck. I took it to a local shop and the tech told me that it definately needs a re-fret, but he thought the neck might be a bit warped. He wasn't sure if it would be able to be fixed. Of coarse I'm going to get a second opinion, but if I do end up getting a new neck, do you guys(and girls) have any quality comparisons to the Warmoth and Allparts necks. I checked the websites and the prices are close. Thanks much.

2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Some things to consider:

I have an Allparts neck on my parts Jazz and it is a good one. I have no complaints. They are licensed by Fender (as are Warmoth necks) so one assumes that they have some sort of quality control in place.

Warmoth necks have steel reinforced necks so I think it's safe to say that they are quite stable. I've never owned a Warmoth neck but the buzz is that the steel reinforcement makes them a little on the chunky side and that the steel can make them neck heavy. A lot of TBers have used their parts and have been quite pleased with them.

Another contender is www.usacustomguitars.com. Their necks are graphite reinforced and, according to their website, they will sell you a neck with '62 Jazz dimensions if you want. You should call them and talk to Tommy. Other TBers have used their necks and bodies with good results. Do a search. If I were going to order a neck I would probably go with USA.

As to price, the store I do business with ordered my Allparts neck and gave me (as I recall) 25% off list. If you can get your store to order your neck from whoever you decide to business with you should be able to get a discount if they are any kind of reputable.

Edit: With Allparts you have no options other than rosewood or maple fingerboards, blocks and binding or dots and fretless. Warmoth and USA will let you spec out your neck with various options such as fret size, different fretboard woods, etc.
  3. cabooke

Jan 26, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks for the info. I'll check them out.

4. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I have an AllParts neck on my Jazz. (rosewood board with pearl blocks and white binding :cool: ). It's a great neck, and I got it for a good deal as well. I think most people here would say that Warmoth is worth the extra bit of cash, though. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the brands mentioned.