Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth vs. Custom

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Pretty soon I plan on shelling out around $1000 for a new custom. I've been planning one have Dave Pushic build me one. We've already narrowed everything down, and just waiting for the final go ahead and the down payment.

I've also been thinking of spending about the same amount (or less) at Warmoth (or Stewmac), and building the bass myself.

I've got some experience, but not much.
    My fretless 4 was put together by me from parts I accumulated.

I've got access to a good woodworking shop, and have wood working experience.

My dilemma is this: I know if I have Dave Pushic build me a bass, my money will be well spent and i will have a high quality bass. I don't mind the wait either. On the other hand, I'd like to be a part time luthier and this would be great experience. But, the possibility of screwing it up big time poses a credible threat.

2. so what do you want to do man, build basses or play them? how about both?
    if you can only do one, I say play 'em.
    think about what you want, if you plan on building a bass, you're probably gonna go with a bolt on neck. is that what you want to be playing on? not that there's anything wrong with bolt on, but Dave Pushic is going to build you a neck through, is that what you want to be playing on?
    if you can afford to do both, by all means man go for it. but, if you can only afford one or the other....get the custom. :)

3. It depends on what kind of bass you want. If you build a Warmoth you don't have a whole lot of choices. You can build a J style bass, a P style bass or one of their Gecko basses. The Gecko is more of a boutique style bass.

Of course you can do a lot of customizing around those basic designs.

Dave Pushic is probably going to make you a really fancy unique looking bass. He is also going to charge you more than a Warmoth will cost.

Building a Warmoth is not hard at all. There is not much of a chance of screwing it up IMO. You slap some finish on the neck and body and then just bolt it all together. Then you just set it up like you would a bass you bought off the shelf and your done.

Here is a picture of the one I just completed a couple of days ago.

4. By the way, this bass cost me about $500 and is superior to an American made P-bass from Fender.
    The parts are top quality. The only thing that doesn't look perfect is the body paint because I did it myself. You could get Warmoth to do it for you and it would look professional.

5. Count, that's a nice looking Warmoth.

I was looking at some of their bodies, and they have several exotic wood bodies.

I do want a neck through bass, and Warmoth doesn't sell those type of necks, but Stew Mac does.

I wasnted more of a challenge than tightening a few bolts, and soldering some wires. I already did just that with my fretless 4.

I was thinking about getting most of the parts from web order companies like Warmoth, stewmac, allparts, etc. and with a through body neck, glue the body wings on myself, which I was going to find and cut myself.

I'll probably go with Dave Pushic, since the quote he gave me was very reasonable.

Maybe I'll do a Warmoth type job later on.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm EXTREMELY happy w/my Warmoth basses. My latest, which I just finished tonite!!!!!!!, is awesome. It's a Gecko 5 string. <a href="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42970">CLICK HERE</a> to see a thread I started about it. I have 3 all together & I just won a body off of eBay & ordered the other parts I needed to complete it & now I have 4. <a href="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43789">CLICK HERE</a> to see that thread.

All in all go w/what makes you happy. I like to assemble Warmoth parts. Gives me good pratice cutting nuts, installing active electronics (Aguilar OBP-1's, EMG BTC's & BTS's) & I feel a sense or pride because I built these basses.