Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth vs. factory made

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff Moote, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I was thinking that my next bass would be a G&L L2500 but now I'm wondering if I should make myself a Warmoth bass instead. Here's my ideas for the Warmoth:

-Deluxe 5 neck birdseye on birdseye with the modern headstock shape, 13 degree angle
    -Jazz Deluxe 5 body (Swamp Ash, Sunburst)...
    -...routed for: Jazz at mid position, SD MM style at neck position
    -Seymour-Duncan MM style HB at the bridge, passive SD Jazz neck pup
    -and add a Schaller bridge, any old good quality tuners (haven't looked into these)

As for electronics, the G&L has active, but I might prefer passive on the Warmoth, so do not considder this when choosing, I don't really mind tone shaping w/my amp and/or effects.

What do you guys think? Will I be able to assemble the Warmoth to a similar quality to factory made? I am fairly proficient with tools so it should be pretty easy.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    First off, the G&L L-2500 is an AWESOME BASS!!!!:)

I have built a 5 string Warmoth bass. I have 4 5 string basses & this is second to my Sadowsky & right above my Spector NS-5 USA. <a href="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1174383&a=12990770&f=0"><b>CLICK HERE</b></a> to see pictures of it. From reading your description, you are going to have a KILLER BASS. I personally like EMG's & that's what I;d put into it but that's crazy ole NINO. :)

I have one tip. <b>BE PAITENT!!!!!!</b> It might look easy & you think it might be built in an hour, but take your time. I've learned from my mistakes & now I've learned to be paitent.

Edited because the <i>Police</i> came down on me. :rolleyes:

3. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    *bump*

c'mon, Nino, you probably have something to say of Warmoth?

*edit* I spoke too soon

4. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I do. ;)

5. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Thanks Nino, so which would you prefer? I still am leaning towards the G&L because as you said, it is awesome and is guaranteed to be good quality.

6. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I own an L-2500 & I like it. I'm considering selling it because I have a Sadowsky 5, Spector 5 & a Warmoth 5. I have it on my bed waiting to take pic of it to put on eBay, but I'm a lazy phuccer. :) I like the G&L because it's so SUPER versatile & it plays GREAT. I just like the Warmoth that much more.

7. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    What colour is the L2500 and how many bolts on the neck joint? Tuner config, new or old (4&1 vs 3&2)? How much are you asking?

8. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Nino? ah well...

9. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    3+2 headstock, 6 bolt neck, 2001 model, Amberburst finish, maple/maple neck, w/case & all paperwork. Your best offer. ninobrown906@yahoo.com

10. jblake

jblake

Aug 30, 2001
    Gray, ME
    Hey Nino,

Did you get the asymetrical neck profile on your warmoth 5? How do you like it? How do you like the instrument overall (i.e. balance, weight, etc.)?
    I'm considering going with Warmoth. I've got a MM fretless and the specs on the deluxe 5's are very similar as far as string spacing and scale length. Thanks for any info.

Jon

11. I do like my Warmoth better than any factory made bass, but we do have different opinions of what a bass should be (as far as style and sound).
    I would go with the Warmoth. It will probably be the superior bass and you'll be able to say, "I built this!"

On another note: Nino, on your first reply about one-third of your post was an actual reply. I find that pretty rude. We don't look on posts to see your band logo or an extensive signature. If you want to post that stuff, make a thread in the "Miscellaneous" section. --Thanks.

12. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I'm sorry it bothered you. Since I can't put pictures in my Signature, this is the way I will have to do it. I've been doing it ALOT w/ my other band logo & you're the only one it bothered. :rolleyes:

What's the big deal. It's a picture of my band. You click on the picture, you get to my bands website. It's big because I want people to notice it. I'm sorry if you think it's rude but I have more important thing to worry about.

13. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    hey nino it's all in the name, maybe the sound of police does not refer to sting's band but to POLICE!!
    you can't do this, you can't do that... where's dee snider?!?!

beware, they are watching you!

[​IMG]

14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    You're not considering if it doesn't come out very well... If it doesn't come out well, and he says "I built this." It would be more insulting than leaving someone in awe.

Christ, grow up.
    Why are you trying to act like a moderator/admin?
    Are you suggesting we have the admin need approve signatures?
    This is talkbass.com, this is a place for bass players to talk, and if he puts his bass playing in his signature, it fits the context of this site.

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest over this, but your post was plain rude. You're trying to tell someone what they can or can't have in their signature. If anything, Nino's signature's more fitting than the majority of signatures around here.
    Most are just quotes regarding philosophy, and nothing really musical at all.

I'm not posting on this subject again.

15. No use in getting all PO'ed, since you missed the point. The picture Sound of Police was complaining about was in the body of the post, NOT the signature. It was there because, as Nino said, "I can't put pictures in my signature" and he has since edited it out.

FYI, it didn't bother me, threads can get so far off topic that it seemed minor. I'm guessing the no graphics in a signature thing is a bandwidth question. I noticed a few weeks ago that when we had about 4 "show your stuff" threads going that the server stated stuttering a bit.

16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Even at missing exactly what he was saying, my comment as a whole still stands. :)

I don't think advertising your band is neccessarily bad, as long as it's not pushy or excessive.
    Which, I'll add, I've never seen Nino do.

17. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    IMHO the pikkie in Nino's post was pretty cool. I've seen it a coupld of times and liked it. After a while I didn't even notice it was there though...

MontyP - do the Warmoth thing, the quality depends on how much time and effort your prepared to put in, but at the end of the day you'll make a connection with your instrument that simply writing a check could never achieve.

Check out the "Wow, Look at this" for lots of pictures of Warmoths etc http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29226

18. Hey Monte,
    I was in the same boat a couple of years ago. I was thinking about a Warmoth for all the reasons listed above, the main one being the issue of conecting with the instrument.

Here's what I did,
    Instead of building a Warmoth I went to a Luthier and commissioned a Bass to be built. I did a lot of homework and researched the tonal qualities of wood. Then I went looking for the wood, visiting hardwood stores in my area (within a 200 mile radius). By buying the wood in person, I got the exact pieces I wanted. I also searched on line for species that are harder to find.
    I kept in contact with the Luthier throughout the entire process, and we bounced ideas back and forth.

I ended up with the perfect Bass for me, and there is a very special connection that I couldn't get by just writing a check (my previous Bass was factory made).

It did take a long time to do, probably as long if not longer than building a Warmoth, but it was worth it.
    So my advice is to either get a Warmoth, or do what I did. Either way you won't be sorry.
    And even if the Bass sucks, you'll still be a better person and player because of the adventure.

~Andrew

19. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    You always have the option of buying the parts from Warmoth and having a qualified luthier assemble it for you. It probably would'nt take very long, most luthiers probably won't charge alot to do it and you can be confident that the bass will turn out the way you want it to. I did this with a bassparts that I bought off of ebay and at BassNW and it turned out fabulous. (even though I had the pick ups replaced a year later)

20. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Here is the bass I had built. I'm going to have a custom pickguard made to cover the neck pick up route.