Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth vs. Fender Custom Shop

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jacob Bartfield, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Hi. I've been thinking about getting a Warmoth P bass, and was wondering how the wood that Warmoth uses compares with the wood that Fender uses to build their custom shop basses. From what I gather, Warmoth stuff is overall of higher quality than the typical Fender wood, but I know that Fender uses better wood to build the custom shop basses.

So would it be a good idea to get a Warmoth? Would it sound and feel just like a P bass?

2. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    I'd do a Warmoth. They're cheaper than CS instruments, and really nice from what I hear.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I've put together parts basses before. Warmoth makes quality products. USA Custom Guitars is another place to look if you want to build a parts bass.

4. USA Custom Guitars, although you might need to call the store for other info because the website is not very complete. Read my posting about an article that I found in Harmony Central from an ex Warmoth employee. It's just something to think about and does not in anyway speak about the high quality of Warmoth basses(although they are cookie cutter kind of business).

If you want to look for other custom bass manufacturers, there are tons of them out there, you might check out www.harmony-central.com and browse all night long in their guitars and amps manufacurers database or products review database. I guarantee that you will be glued to the monitor all night.

you might also want to check www.bunnybass.com

I have a question, Fender Custom Shop bodies, cookie cutter body or hand selected and made like the real luthier such as fodera, maghini, F bass?

Thanks

5. Also, what is the advantage of a one piece body? I know that it Warmoth charges extra for it.

6. I recently emailed USA Custom Guitars, about their necks. I was thinking about getting one of their necks because I could get the size and shape I want, but I wouldn't be able to get a 24 fret fingerboard. They said that this is because they use very thin fingerboards, and it would not work. I asked why they use thin fingerboards, and they said that it improves the tone: more highs and low, and more sustain. Is actually true?

7. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    You have to remember that Fender Custom Shop will NOT build you whatever you want. There are a lot of woods for example that they will not work with, unlike Warmoth. As far as I know, they will also not build something that Fender has not done before, for example... I don't think they would build you a Tele bass with a Jazz neck/headstock, or a Tele bass with blocks/binding.

Fender Custom Shop is really for people who want a very well made and setup bass that replicates something Fender has done before, or with a minor change such as a matching headstock.

If you want to have many more choices in terms of woods, colors, body/neck and routing options, Warmoth is better. Re. USCG, I haven't bought anything from them, and their web site is rather poor, so I can't judge.

8. Yeah, I wasn't ever actually planning on getting a custom shop Fender, because they're way too expensive, but I just want to make sure that the wood that Warmoth (and USACG) uses is high quality.