Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth VS. StewMac

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Aug 10, 2002.

1. I'm getting ready to make a monster purchase for my custom. I'm at the point where I'm ready to buy all the hardware, electronics, pick ups, neck, etc.

At Warmoth, I can get everything I want, except for the pick-ups, for about $300. The pups will run me another $100 or so.

Over at StewMac, they don't have the neck I want, but they do have a nice selection of pick ups. Either way, I'll be spending about $250 - $300.

Who will probably get the majority of my business? I'd have to say StewMac. Why? Because of their online ordering system. With them, I know my order is bought and paid for, and with the invoice, I know I'm getting the right things.

If Warmoth had a shopping cart system like StewMac, I'd go with them. I find it more convenient with online method versus fax, e-mail, or phone ordering.

What does everyone else think?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I think you're trading quality for convenience.

3. I've done business with StewMac before, and so far I've been very pleased. When it comes down to quality, Schaller is still Schaller whether I buy it at StewMac or Warmoth. Warmoth parts maybe better than StewMac parts, as far as necks and bodies go. Thats why I'm still going with Warmoth on the neck, but partially because they are the only place that has the neck I want.

I can get the same bridge, tuners, pots, knobs, etc at StewMac as I can at Warmoth. I'm not suggesting Warmoth has poor Customer Service, I'm sure it is extraordinary. With phone orders, fax and e-mail they have to.

Convenience is important when it comes to ordering things. I really don't see the sacrifice in quality. Warmoth is still getting my $ for the neck, eventually.

4. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I misread, sorry.

5. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Chaos,
    For THE BEST quality necks and bodies, call Tommy at USA Custom Guitars. His stuff is head and shoulders above Warmoth, both in quality and service. Plus, his necks don't weigh 72 pounds!
    Steel reinforcement is used when people don't want to spend money on graphite, not because it's superior.

6. Those steel rod necks are heavy but I love mine.

Call Brian at Warmoth he is a great asset for bass ideas and parts.

7. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    IME, that's just not the case. I've got necks with both steel rods, and with graphite rods. The Warmoth necks are far better than the ones with graphite.

I've only seen one positive comment about USA Custom (that's not to say they're bad), but literally hundreds of satisfied Warmoth customers.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The thing that I dislike about USA Custom is that they do not offer as many wood choices as Warmoth.

Want a wenge neck with padauk fingerboard? Better call Warmoth. Want burl maple over black korina? Don't call USA Custom.

9. I'm keeping the neck sweet and simple (and cheap) and going with a solid maple neck. I traded the J neck from my Essex for an all maple neck from Hambone, and I love the way they feel and sound.

Since I'm customizing the bass, I got the paddle headstock, for my own design. I also went with the 13 degree angle kickback headstock.

The bad news though, is that the body I am making isn't going to work for this project. :(
    I'm hanging on to it for my next project, a neck-through. So instead, I'm also getting a body blank from Warmoth, if I can't find a nice piece at the lumber yard, and trying again.

Anyway, my order from StewMac ended up being a hair over $200, and I have everything I need save the neck, pick ups, and (now since I screwed up) body. :rolleyes:

I'm heading up to Oregon next week, so I'm hoping to find some nice wood up there. They have some gorgeous myrtle wood, and I'm gonna try to find a piece large enough.

Let me show you the list, and make sure I haven't left anything out.

-Schaller strap locks
    -neck plate and attatchment screws
    -Schaller Roller bridge
    -Gotoh 2+2 tuners
    -pots and knobs
    -jack and jack plate (I'm going with a Strat style jack)
    -Mounting ring for humbucker

I also ordered a nut made of black makarta, in case the Warmoth neck doesn't come fitted with a nut.

Things I still need:
    -pickups (the ones I want were not in stock at stewmac)
    -neck -being ordered from Warmoth
    -body -the search continues. :mad:

I'm not sure what brand of pick ups I'm getting yet, but I'm going with a reverse P at the neck and a humbucker in the Sterling position.

10. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    ChaosGwar - we'd like to have a secure server and online ordering, but we're not quite ready yet.

The problem lies with the bewildering number of options available for our necks, bodies, and finishes. At Stew-Mac, which is a fine company and where I shop for tools, you can click a button and buy an alder top-rout J body. At our site, you can have a solid zebrawood downsized J with a lefthanded + rout plus Rio Grande Powerbucker rout, contoured heel joint, and a green-burst finish, if you want.

But ...

1) That's a lot of mouse clicks

and ...

2) We think it pays to have a real person to talk to on the phone or email to talk you out of things that won't work, or will look worse in person than you might think (see previous example.) :)

Until we get the web site to advise you as well as real people can, I'm afraid we're stuck with the phone/email/fax ordering system. Even though I'm sure this does lose us some hardware sales, I'll bet it prevents some nasty returns and unhappy customers.

11. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

In light of gruffpuppy's recent "If ya' can't say anything nice..." thread,
    I'll just keep my yapper shut and hope I don't bite my tongue off :mad:.

12. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    me too "notduane"....me too!

13. bwbass, thank you for the reply. I'm glad to have Warmoths opinion on this matter.

In my case, I'll still be picking up the phone for ordering my neck from you guys, and if things don't] go right, a body as well.

I trust the Warmoth name, and that is why I'm going with a Warmoth neck. I don't mind taking the extra time and trouble to go about ordering the neck I want and making sure I get the neck I want.

But hardware? For right around $200, I got everything I need (with room to plurge) at Stewmac, and FedEx should be dropping it off today.

One suggestions, and I don't knowif it is even feasable for you, is to get secure odering for all your hardware, and items with few or no add on options.

Your necks and bodies have quite a few options, and I can see where a slight problem may come up in the shopping cart system. But how many people buy necks and bodies that are fairly simplistic (i.e. unfinished jazz body, normal routing) versus a "solid zebrawood downsized J with a lefthanded + rout plus Rio Grande Powerbucker rout, contoured heel joint, and a green-burst finish?"

Yeah, so StewMac might be limited on their bodies, with a limited number of routing and finish options. I wonder if Warmoth offered the same type of service, along with the option of phone fax and e-mail orders on exotic and off the wall customs, how much more business you would pick up.

14. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Not a bad idea - thanks for the suggestion! We appreciate hearing what our customers think.

15. I called in my neck order this morning from Warmoth, and now have a three week waiting period. BW, think you could bump that up to the top for me? :D J/K

Anyway, I went with a maple neck and board, 21 frets, P width, 13 degree kickback blank paddle headstock.

I'm still not set on the body. I'm designing my own, but $70 for a body blank seems a little spendy. I'll get a body blank as a last resort, but I would rather have an exotic wood blank to work with.

16. Warmoth gets my business. It made a better first impression. I liked the site and what they had to offer. I've never been impressed with other sites. So good job, Warmoth guy.