Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth vs. WD vs. All Parts

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Foxton, Oct 23, 2000.

1. Foxton

Foxton

Jul 12, 2000
    For assembling a custom made bass guitar, which of the following companies is best swited for the task?

2. I really happen to like Warmoth, good selection and good quality parts.

If/when I get another bass, I'm probobly going to custom build it... and probobly get my parts from Warmoth

[Edited by bertbassplayer on 10-23-2000 at 11:41 PM]

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Warmoth, for sure!

4. Foxton, FYI I deleted your latter post because it was exactly like this one.

Now the Warmoth, AllParts, WD comparison - a subject near and dear to my heart. For wood parts like necks and bodies, I think the winner would have to be Warmoth. Their quality is absolutely superb. For hardware, Warmoth has some very good quality at reasonable prices but so does WD. WD has a very interesting replacement bridge for Fenders that is close to the ABM in design but is only about $30! And a simple modification would make it usable as a string-through-the-body bridge. Warmoth has the Gotoh bridges and they are certainly quality for just a little bit more. AllParts has the ABM's (exclusively) but they are a bit pricey. Another good source for a limited selection of hardware is Stewart MacDonald - http://www.stewmac.com - I can vouch for their tuning keys line being the least expensive of all mentioned, whether you need a Schaller or a Gotoh. I have recently purchased a set of their economy tuners and was blown away by the quality. Cast frames (not stamped!) with tension adjusters on the screws - Fabulous. For pickguards, WD has the largest selection of styles and finishes. For pickups, StewMac has the best single price for a replacement/upgrade set of pups - EMG Selects for $49.00/pair for Jazz pups and something like $26 for an EMG Select Soapbar humbucker. Also StewMac has a killer tech crew and they can help with construction issues.

Well, there you have it. Lots to digest. I guess it boils down to what you are looking for exactly and what you are willing to pay.

5. Foxton

Foxton

Jul 12, 2000
    Great. thanks alot Hambone.
    Another thing I would like to know. Is it true that fender doesn't give liesence any more to other companies to produce similar pegheads?

6. No, that's not true. Warmoth currently offers necks with the stamp "licensed by Fender" along with the Warmoth turtle.

An as far as I know, MightyMite is still licensed to do the same.

7. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Pelham, AL
    G-G-G-G-GRAVEDIGGER!!!!!! go Warmoth...it rules.....

8. you revived a 10 year old thread just to say that? :rollno:

9. If you're in for traditional woods like Alder , Maple , Ash , mahogany then USA Custom Guitars gets my vote . Tommy's a great guy . But If u want something exotic like say a purpleheart neck with a wenge fingerboard, then Warmoth looks like your best option . I havent really checked out any All Parts stuff, but I'm sure it doesnt suck because soo many people here use it .

Cheers !!

10. This thread is 10 years old and the OP hasn't been on talkbass for 7 years.

Mark