1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warmoth, whats your opinion?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JebSmells, Feb 18, 2008.

1. JebSmells

JebSmells

Jul 23, 2007
    UK
    I've got the cash togeather to buy a warmoth set-up, but before i part with my hard earned cash has anyone got experience with them that they wouldn't mind sharing??

I've never been abale to play a body or neck from these guys and am interested to know how you guys think they feel or play?

I've heard they suffer from neck dive (but i've yet to lay a bass that doesn't) that's about it though?

They look really well made, but as we all know, you don't always seem to get what you see...

Cheers People, look forward to hearing your thoughts

2. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    well made?...i think that rather depends on the maker.

However the parts are nicely made. Clean, crisp, attention to detail. For example the neck/body joint is a perfect fit.

My Bass is a 51 style fretless p bass. Bubinga neck and fingerboard and a black korina body. Beautiful but rather heavy. You could choose lighter wood.

I finished the bass with Tung oil (8 coats). Black hardware and a super cool Nordstrand split-coil "single coil" pickup.

Sounds great. I think it looks quite nice for a first time effort. i'll try to post a picture tonite.

3. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    here's a quick photo (best i could do without natural light)

51tikibass.

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I have several Warmoths I've built since 1990, but my favorite and current #1 is a Warmoth '51 style body with an Allparts neck, Fender '51 RI pickup and '57/62 RI bridge with Hipshot Ultralight tuners.

I find Warmoth necks to be heavier than Fender or Allparts though not prohibitively so.

5. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Warmoth quality is good, and the finished product depend mostly on you not screwing up IMO. Here are my two Warmoth projects.

6. cadduc

cadduc

Mar 4, 2006
    ive got a 64 p bass neck and electronics on a boogie body, boogie was warmoth before they changed their name, i bought that already assembled from a guy, i use it as my primary gigging bass
    a great piece of gear
    and i have bought several parts from them
    my experience is they are a great supplier, they ship what u order on time, at a great price, and the quality is excellent

7. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
  8. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Warmoth is great! They do a wonderful job with their work and the parts match up very very tightly. I found that my bass was resonant from the start with little to no effort. I also found that building my own bass was not as intimidating as I first thought. My build process from part arrival to playable instrument was eight days. I did ask for advise a bit, but really talkbass is a wonderful resource full of builders who are there to help. Ask before you do it if you dont know it.

Another Warmoth hint, order from the showcase. These parts are generally cheaper when finished than ordering a whole body. For example, you can find an Alpine white jazz body for $290 from the showcase. My custom ordered body cost almost double that price. Same with my neck.

[​IMG]

9. I ordered a neck and then canceled it because the cost of it just kept going up for every small thing...nut $25...stainless steel frets? more money $$$ and on and on. I ended up buying a Mighty Might neck for my old bass and for a future build I might buy a Warmoth bare bones body and another Might Might neck...

10. Best fender style neck you can buy. Great, solid parts. Extra cost is worth it.

11. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I've had two Warmoth basses. I assembled them myself to the point with which i was comfortable, Install neck, tuners, pickups, bridge. I had the final setup and nut cut by a professional.
    I found the parts to be of extremely high quality, good fit, and beautiful finish.
    The only gripe I had was I wasn't digging the neck profile on the fretted Jazz I assembled.
    The fretless one had a sweet neck. I might have ordered the wrong profile. ( I was a little green back then)

12. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    just ordered a wenge/wenge Jazz neck (corian nut, 3/8 holes, 22 low/flat frets, no face dots) but it will be another 4-5 weeks before i can share an opinion on it. now to find someone who can make me a white and gold Fender logo... (will be going on a Precision Special)

13. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    great product in my experience

my main bass is a fretless assembled from warmoth parts

14. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    I ordered a Jazz neck from the Warmoth showcase and had them finish it. I installed it on a Mighty Mite Jazz body and the fit was a little loose but OK. The jazz body is heavy (Ash) so the whole Bass was a groaner.

Yesterday I switched the neck with one on my Mighty Mite P-Bass. The P body is lighter and I was never happy with the MM Jazz neck I had on it.

Now both Basses weigh in at about the same and the Jazz with the lighter neck has just opened up tone wise. The P-Bass with the heaver Warmoth neck now has all the punch and tone that I expect from a great P-Bass. All in all, after the switch-a-roo, I'm very happy with the Warmoth neck..... and I also like Mighty Mite products too.

15. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Great components CAN make a perfect bass, as long as you have a good understanding of the following:

1) The role of wood selection and mixing/matching various woods and pickups to come up with the sound in your head.

2) Tools. Do you own them? Is it in your budget to buy them? Do you know how to use them?

3) Finishing techniques. Ever done this before?

All in all, I am especially pleased with the materials shipped from Warmoth to create my super-J w/Sadowsky electronics. Just make sure you don't get in over your head and you should be quite pleased. My finished J is the best four-stringer I have played.

Lonnybass

16. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    thats the biggest con with warmoth. you have no idea what you have, until you get it.

17. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I play a Warmoth P, and it's great. Really nice finish on the body and neck, resonant, not overwhelmingly heavy, and the best P-style neck I've ever felt.

18. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Great products! You will get an excellent bass if you take your time. As stated before, do as much as you feel comfortable with. Mine was my first build and was not too hard to assemble. I did everything but the wiring.
    BG1.
    I love posting (and playing) this bass.

19. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I've built 2 basses with Warmoth parts and have been very happy with the results. The first was a fretless built with a lined maple neck bolted to one of their walnut dinky-p bodies. for the second, I purchased one of their dinky-p carved top bodies and married it to a Moses graphite Jazz neck. On both basses, I think the only issue I ever had was that the pickup routing on the fretless was just a little too tight for my bartolini-J's, so I had to do a little bit of shaving. Other than that, everything was excellent.

I think Warmoth is worth the money if you want something more than the run of the mill body shape, configuration, or wood. If you're just going to build a note-for-note p-bass or a j-bass, there may be less expensive options. Also, I found the people there very helpful and responsive.

20. I have built 6 or 7 basses from Warmoth and/or USA Custom Guitars parts.

I have none of them anymore.

1) You just don't know what you are going to get when it's done.

2) Once I paid an upcharge for a lightweight alder body. When it arrived, the body weighed a hair under 5 lbs. Not light in my book (4 lbs would be a light body). I called Warmoth. They said I was SOL (S**t Out of Luck). Their justification for the upcharge ($40 I think) - "well, we send a guy into the lumber room. Instead of just grabbing the top piece of wood like he always does, for $40 he grabs the top piece and the piece underneath it. He uses a very sophisticated method of holding each piece in a hand and determines what he thinks feels lighter. He then walks into the shop and your body is made." Sorry, but that is BS for a $40 upcharge.

3) If you ever want to change your order - I don't mean something like changing the body style or the pickup routes, I mean you want to add some hardware like a bridge or tuners - they charge you $25 for "ticket amendment"... More BS.

4) If you want a standard body made from a wood other than the usual suspects, they do not warranty it (not that the warranty means anything). I ordered a bubinga body once. When I ordered it they told me that my right to return it was voided because bubinga is unusual.

5) Warmoth necks are great - if you love 4 lbs necks loaded with steal. I never liked the tone of their necks. USA Custom Guitars has MUCH better necks...unfortunately, they don't have Fender shaped Headstocks...they are close, but you will have to do some carving if you want it to look legit when you stick that Fender decal on it.

6) When all is said and done, you will have spent close to $1000 on a bass that you have no idea how it will sound and the resale on the parts is terrible.

Do yourself a favor...go play and find a good J/P bass or Stingray used and save yourself a lot of time and money.

I should say this - your happiness will depend on your expectations. If you have excess cash and want to take a chance and build a parts bass just for the sake of doing it, go ahead. If you are looking for you dream instrument, then you are rolling the dice. Sorry, but I don't like to roll the dice with my money