warmoth wood, vs. fender wood.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thelastofus, Sep 15, 2003.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    I got a neck that i want to build a bass around. I want a white alder body for it. I'm not sure, but I think that the Mexican Fenders are made of Alder (once again, could be wrong). I know the body you get from warmoth or some custom company like that would be a better body then one off of a mim p bass. But who much of a difference would it make? Would the better quality wood affect the tone by a lot, never built a bass before and not totally sure on how the differences in the woods affects the tone. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
  2. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    From my little experiences, having a higher grade in warmoth basses makes a huge difference than the mexi fenders. I mainly notice this for the necks, but there are generally much pleasurable changes in tone, too. I've only played 3 basses out of all warmoth parts, and the closest from fender vs. warmoth was a MIM jazz with barts and gotoh and an alder warmoth jazz with barts, badass, and schaller tuners. Keep in mind they were both passive, but had different pots, different fingerboard woods and different strings, but i could clearly say that the warmoth was a much better instrument to my ear and touch. It's build quality was much better, too. AFter changing the bridge and pups on a Mexi jazz, my main gripe is the neck. The neck is rather flimsy and requires many setups throughout the year and it doesn't stay in tune as well as basses in the warmoth quality level.
  3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    The warmoth would definitly by higher quality.