warmoth woods question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Guinea Pig, Jul 29, 2005.

1. So i was looking at my choice of woods at warmoth for a new jazz bass i plan on putting together and came across a a jazz body with a jatobah top and ash back, now i like the ash back but this "jatobah" though looks relativly the same as koa which is my favorite! Anyone have any idea on what effects this wood might have to the sound of the bass? Warmoth does not list it in its woods discription. If not i might just go for the more expensive flame koa bodies *drools*
  2. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Jotoba, also known as Brazilian cherrywood, is a very hard wood which will result in a brighter sound. You may want to go with the alder back, or at least a rosewood neck to warm it up a bit. However, if your like me, I kinda like a strong, bright low end, smooth and clear. :D
    hope this helps ya.
  3. man, i checked out your webpage, that green quilted maple Jbass is so beautiful. I've been on and off on the idea of getting a bass with a paint job but green is my favorite color. I would love to know how much a bass almost exactly like that would go for. Im not loaded so mainly this is speculation.
  4. The top probably isn't thick enough to affect the tone. Call or email Warmoth to be sure.