Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Petary791, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So i'm really into this whole make-your-own bass thing, but i'm not much of a "luthier." I found Warmoth in my Bass Player Magazine, and I thought it was sweet. Are they hard to make? And one more thing, could I have them make me my own body style, because I want a 5 and I don't really like those styles. :meh: Also, can I get my own fret dots, like Jaymz Hetfield? Thanks!

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Warmoth will do one off custom bodies, but it is going to cost you. I've never heard of warmoth doing cutom inlays though.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    And another thing, if I talked to someone, could I get a bass tremelo?

4. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Oh Yeah. I heard they are not that good though. I think stew mac sells one. Fshod built one with it before. PM him for more details.

5. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    I though Hipshot made a bass trem? They make some real quality bridges, IMHO.

6. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Hey, you are right! I was just on the Hipshot Web site and there they are. Interesting pic of Lee Sklar, too, holding his signature Yamaha with a Hipshot trem.

As for the 5-string question, I thought for sure that Warmoth made a fiver in both a J- and a P-bass style. The bodies are bassically the same but the neck pocket is bigger to take the wider neck. I don't think the "Gecko" is the only fiver body style that they make.

Of course, I could be dead wrong about this. I am sure that somebody will set me straight if I am. :meh:

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah Junky that's my problem, I don't want the J or P body.

8. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Warmoth make several 5 string bodies other than their Gecko line. Checkout the "Deluxe 5" series of basses.

If you don't have that much experience, pay the extra to have them put a finish on the neck and body for you, too.

Their quality is excellent, their finishes top notch, etc.

http://www.warmoth.com

Deluxe 5 series:
    Bodies - http://www.warmoth.com/bass/bodies/deluxe5.cfm
    Necks - http://www.warmoth.com/bass/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=includes_deluxe5

They offer a good selection of pickup routing options, pickguards, etc.....

or call `em:

253-845-0403 Mon - Fri, 9am – 5pm Pacific Time

Regards,

:^)~

9. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I wonder if War. will sell me a Gecko body with a top, only unglued so I can make a chambered Gecko body?

10. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    I suppose we could, but at the point in our production where the top gets glued on the body's little more than a bandsawed-out slab. Not much value there.

If you're going to have to carve the belly contour, rout the control cavity, neck pocket, and pickup routs, drill all the holes and sand the body, why not just make your own body from scratch? I'm sure you'd have support for that around these parts!

11. i wouldnt get that tremolo, it looks to me to be the same thing as a floyd rose (ewwwwwwwww) which is probly the worst tremolo system people could imagine. maybe you could have someone craft you a bass bigsby. floyd rose styles dont have any control, way too sensitive, and if anybody breaks strings (this is mainly from my guitar experience, havnt broken a bass string yet) the whole guitar goes out off tune, because without the tension of that string, the bridge isnt held in the same place. bad idea. i dont know about that tremolo, it might be ok, i think i would stay away though.

12. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    It's the routing that get's me -- apartments don't make very good work shops. :smug: