1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warmoth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funkdified, Feb 3, 2002.

1. I'm thinking of starting a project bass, and was wondering the reputation of Warmoth? Is there anything better?

2. Astroman

Astroman Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Excellent stuff!
    I have a Warmoth P/J 4 I had assembled and finished by a local guitar tech. It is an alder body with a 4A maple top, birdseye maple neck with pau ferro fretboard, Schaller hardware, Aero Instrument pickups, and a Bartolini 2-band pre-amp. It sounds fantastic!! -- Fender's custom shop couldn't touch it!! Necks are rock solid, bodies are acoustically perfect, and they form fit together like a glove. I ran into problems with a bad finish because the local tech was a jackass who didn't know what he was doing, so I wish I would have let Warmoth do it. I took it to a pro finsh man who did it right in my favorite color -- a transluscent green. I'll do a Jazz project someday and let Warmoth do the finish for sure!
    Unfortunately kit guitars and basses don't hold much resale value, but if you know exactly what your after --understanding wood components, pickups and electronics -- you can get a killer instrument you will want to keep. I own a couple of hand made basses but I still love my Warmoth for its "Super P-Bass" tone and playability. I plan to keep it!
    An excellent company with very reasonable prices, state-of-the-art equipment, great customer service and quick delivery. Hard to beat that!

3. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    www.usacustomguitars.com Tommy, the owner, was a former Warmoth guy and his stuff is even better! His customer service is far better too. Lots of MAJOR manufacturers have switch to him to do their work.

4. I can't praise Warmoth enough. Best quality, sound, etc. My Warmoth is the only bass I use. I wouldn't trade it for any bass. My next bass will be a Warmoth too. I highly recommend it.

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Put a check next to my name for Warmoth, too! I've got two warmoth basses - an unlined fretless jazz 4 string and a Gecko 5 string - and they both play like buttah, look beautiful and sound kick ass! I played the Corpus Cristi jazz festival and numerous people thought my fretless jazz sounded better than my american standard (with J-retro).

and the wood is sooooo nice :D

6. ::Cartman voice ON::

heh heh heh, like buttah...

::Cartman voice OFF::

7. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    They are Really nice guys, and they can do just about anything. Plus, when it's all said and done, you get a really top of the the line bass for a hunk of change that's not to hard on the wallet.

And I can't say USAcustomguitars.com really impressed me with their web presence. They are kinda lacking as far as the online browsing thing goes. Warmoth OTOH...

8. I'm working on a Warmoth P-bass right now. All I have purchased so far is the body and it is excellent. Once I get the neck I will be able to tell you more.