Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmouth Gecko 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassics, Nov 29, 2000.

1. bassics

bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    can anyone tell me anything about the Warmouth Gecko?
    I have assembled a few basses before and I'm thinking about
    building a five string. Some of you may remember my thread regarding the Tobias Toby, Here is yet another idea.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

bassics, I think that these are a pretty nice kit bass, and if you have experience with this sort of thing could turn out very nicely indeed.

If you do have this kind of experience, you probably already know this, but don't go in to this thinking that it is going to save you a ton of money. In the long run, it can wind up costing you more, but it can be a lot of fun.

Hambone, this looks to be right up your alley!

3. bassics

bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    This kit is available with several different pickup choices,
    and several body woods. I was thinking alder with a quilted maple top, maple neck, ebony fretboard, and Bartolini active soapbars, and, if they'll do it, a 2tech bridge.
    about 1000 to 1200 bucks, so it'll wait for my tax return.
    I play everything from metal to jazz/funk fusion, and HATE a "muddy" bass. the best sounding bass I have ever played was a Ken Smith BSR and I would like to try to duplicate the sound. maybe the maple body? any suggestions?

4. embellisher

Bassics, you need to decide for yourself, of course, but I am a BIG fan of maple as a body material.

My Pedulla Rapture is made of solid maple, as is my Ibanez SR506, these 2 basses have AWESOME acoustic sound IMHO, very bright and punchy.

The Pedulla has Bartolini pickups and preamp, so naturally its amplified sound is awesome too. :D

I am hoping after I put EMG pickups and 3 band preamp in the 506 that it's wonderful acoustic tone will come out through the electronics as well. The cheapo ADX6 pickups and even crappier preamp are very weak sounding.

MAPLE!

I believe that maple bodies is a lot of what gives Spectors their unique tone as well(in addition to the EMGs) and is why for about 3 or 4 years they were one of the hottest designs on the market.

And the maple bodied Smiths that I've been fortunate enough to play are some of the brightest basses that I've ever heard.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If you're considering Warmoth, do not forget to check out the Thrift Shop. I've seen some very good deals there, especially on finished bodies.

6. bassics

bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    Embellisher, I think I know what you mean, the Ken Smith
    I keep mentioning was a tiger maple body. I wasn't sure how much of the sound (particularly intonation) was due to the maple and how much was due to superior pickups and electronics, I guess it's worth the weight?
    I really love the look of quilted maple, how will this affect the tone of the instrument on a maple body?

7. embellisher

I believe that quilt is a softer maple, so it would be bright without being harsh are compressed like a really dense wood such as bubinga or northern ash.

Spector guys with solid quilt wings could probably give more input. The couple of maple Smiths that I've played had quilt top and back 1/2" over a garden variety soft maple core.

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I believe you're correct! :) My Spector (American series, NS-4) has quilted-maple body wings. It's really a heavy bass: I think it's around 10-1/2 pounds!:eek:

But, it gets a really bright sound, but really has a lot of that mid-range definition that I love so much!:D:D:D:D

One thing that is worth considering, though, is that Spectors use hard maple for the neck and soft maple for the body wings. Plus, I have 18-volt EMGs on my bass. Is it too harsh? Not IMHO. Punch? Clearly defined mids? You bet, to both! But, with all these different ingredients, not to mention a Pau Ferro fingerboard, what ingredient is doing what to the sound? The combination is definitely Spector! :D:D

It definitely is a lot brighter than the two Ken Smiths I played...

9. bassics

bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    well, I emailed Warmouth and gave them the specs I want,
    and they had some problems with it, I asked for a hard maple body with a quilt maple top and yellow dye finish,
    they say the finish won't take to hard maple. I asked for a brazilian rosewood fretboard on a maple neck, they can't get
    a wide enough piece of rosewood for a 5, they say they don't carry Bartolini pickups, but they are listed on their website as an option, and they can't rout the body for the 2tech bridge because it is no longer manufactured. But they are still available from other sources. I'll find a combination that they'll do, eventually. Hmmm...maybe the soft maple body, pau ferro fretboard, Kahler bridge, and EMG's or Seymour Dunkin's, maybe find my own pickups.
    choices, choices, choices.

If at first you don't succeed
    read the directions!

[Edited by bassics on 11-30-2000 at 02:21 PM]

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I don't recall Warmoth ever carrying Bartolinis. They offer routing for the pickups, not the pickups.