Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Piezoman, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    How do you guys warmup for shows?
  2. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Playing Plush or Superstition warms me up just fine.
  3. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    My daughter's band plays James Brown's Sex Machine groove as a sound check song. Bring each instrument up and down one at a time, say nonsense into the mics to check them. Work pretty well for festivals and such.
  4. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    if Spinal Tap taught me anything, the best way to sound check microphones is "Mic number 1, mic number 1, isn't this a whole lot of fun?" or "Mic number 2, mic number 2, you know what to do"

but as for warm ups, just go through some scales in Dorian mode to warm up the fingers and you'll hear your mids, highs, and lows and can balance from there
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Do whatever you want, but for GOD'S SAKE, do it without volume. I DO NOT want to hear noodling by the band before the first song, I AM NOT impressed with your ability to slap/pop or play some other really shred-a-rific song. I came to hear the band play their music, not to hear a half hour warmup.
  6. A couple of minutes of light hand and finger stretching, a beer, plug in and go.
  7. Go to the restroom shake hands with an old friend, jump up on stage and play.
  8. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Before I leave my house to go, I play along to the whole 'Live After Death' album by Iron Maiden. Then, in the car ride to the gig I listen to the 'Operation: Mindcrime' album by Queensryche. I'm not superstitious, except when it comes to pre-gig stuff.

9. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I usually just run through parts of songs, and make everything is working properly. If not, I'll take a few minutes, do some excercises, and try again.
  10. Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    I've heard too many noodlers in my time as well. I'll play a quick scale or two to make sure everything is coming out of the amp and stompbox the way it should. My philosophy is tune it, pluck a couple of notes to verify proper sound and tone, and then leave until the rest of the band is ready for a warmup song.

I think of noodling mainly as a sign of disorganization or nervousness. Imagine what the audience is thinking...So I keep the warmup quick and with purpose.
  11. kansas666

Sep 20, 2004
    I usually sing in my car on the way to the gig to warm up the vocal chords.

I generally play a few complicated riffs with the volume down after setting up.