Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warning!! bad strings for concerts

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by kontri, Nov 17, 2002.

1. kontri

kontri Guest

Oct 5, 2002
    Denmark
    When I started playing with solo strings I used Corelli because it was the only set of solo strings I had. They had been given to me, I couldn't afford a new set. Corelli strings are very dangerous, they are very thin and give a very bright sound. The player thinks it works well and from the players seat they do sound well. In the concert hall they don't sound at all. The sound is so small that the player simply looks like a very shy person who is afraid of playing. I also had problems with intonation when using these strings, if your tone isn't working the intonation will probably be bad so this is my warning to you. Don't use Corelli solo strings!

They might be ok for recording...haven't tryed that.

2. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    i think gary karr uses corellis. i think gary karr plays some concerts. i think he probably has a good idea how they sound out in the hall. i think there's more to corellis than being a bad 'concert' string.

but i've never tried them.

sean p

3. kontri

kontri Guest

Oct 5, 2002
    Denmark
    Well I don't know anything about Gary Karr's strings. But I know he playes alot out of tune and I can't really listen to his recordings (have two G.K. recordings). But the man has done alot for the bass and the society of bassists so I like the guy for all he's done.

But I'm surprised if this is true, are you sure that he uses corelli? How do you know or where did you learn it from?

But my old teacher gave me these strings because he didn't like them himself. Then I started with a new teacher and he was so unpleased with corelli that he gave me a set of pirastro flatcrome. I played two concerts with the corelli set and then two with pirastro, and the difference was so big that I got frustrated about not changing to piraastro earlier.

But different strings fit different basses.

Have you got any experience with other string brands you'd like to share? Do you know what strings Duncan Mctier uses, I was wondering it might be flexocor, sound very bright but I'd like to know for real.

Ok, that's it! See you!

4. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Gary Karr plays out of tune.....
    Better sell my bass and find another job......

NUNO

5. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I'm not sure about G.K.'s strings, but François Rabbath plays Corelli 370M. In fact, he helped Corelli in the string development.
    You seemed to describe your strings as solo strings.
    Are these strings really designed for solo pitch (one whole step above orchestra pitch) and then tuned down to orchestra pitch?
    In that case they're very very thin, and I don't have any trouble thinking they'd sound very thin...

6. The Corelli solos are very thin, I think they are one of the 360's. I have a set on my cheap china/ebay DB. They truly helped to keep me playing. The cheap DB has a very high string. They are like the Spiro solos, meant to be tuned up a whole step. I kept them tuned down. On my ES9 they were a little thin in sound and feel. The 370M's probally sound the best on it so far.

7. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Yes, GK uses Corelli solos. At least he did when I went to his masterclass in Ft. Worth a few years ago.

Monte

8. Yeah, I know. He's always a WHOLE TONE sharp!

9. kontri

kontri Guest

Oct 5, 2002
    Denmark
    What is the matter with you guys. It's like I'm attacking you. I'm simply telling you my experience of using those strings.

I now know that Gary Karr uses Corelli for his Amati bass. This bass is very powerful and G.K. plays with a technique that gives alot of power but a bit harsh sound instead. And I know that these strings lose their sound very quicly so if you earn enough money you can buy new set regularly.

I'm not going share more information into this webpage since you can't debate without getting upset and grumpy, everyone trying to be the wisest. I get irritated by this childish behavior.

This web is not making me better player, my practising does, so why spend my time here?!?

I better not...now put in your corellis and enjoy your career as soloists...

10. kontri

kontri Guest

Oct 5, 2002
    Denmark
    I was talking about solo strings - Corelli - tuned F#-B-E-A...solo tuning.

11. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Dagnab, Ed, your post is the very model of restraint! Well said!

My buddy Larry Dvorin talks about taking a sax lesson with the great Joe Allard. Joe picked up Larry's horn and played a chromatic scale going up while fingering a chromatic scale that was going down. Joe just said, "It's all mental, son."

"It's the ear, not the gear." Kontri, XYZ strings don't make me play out of tune. I play out-of-tune all by myself.

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Roger that. I can play out of tune on any string, or your money back.

13. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I love it when Ed gets a burr up his ass. I had to stop after the first paragraph and roll a Bloomberg Joint and enjoy the rest at leisure!

14. Originally posted by Ed Fuqua

ME - I'm just making fun of you cause you sound like a little git who just got his first opinion and is taking it out for a test drive. I tend to do that, no big thang.

I think that is the funniest thing I have read so far this week.

Thanks Ed. ;)

15. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Do it yourself cigarettes. Drum tobacco in this case. With cigs at $7-$8 a pack in NYC and Drum, which will last you 2 - 2 1/2 days at $3.50 a pouch, there are a lot of musician sorts walking down the street with crooked little smokes -- Bloomberg Joints.

16. G. Bottesini

G. Bottesini Guest

Nov 19, 2002
    Crema, Italia
    I think you should consider a little bit more the differences about temperament and performing approach between European and American players. Maybe Kontri was a little rough... ok, but why don´t you share with us the experience you´ve had with such strings before celebrating somebody´s "model of restraint".

17. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

No problem. For starters, there's:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/searc...d=357522&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

And if you'd like more, then:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/searc...id=357708&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=ascending

Happy reading! :)*

* (Thanks, Brad!)

18. G. Bottesini

G. Bottesini Guest

Nov 19, 2002
    Crema, Italia
    Originally posted by GEE, BOTTLEDSEAWEED

I think you should consider a little bit more the differences about temperament and performing approach between European and American players.

It´s ok, nevermind.

And thanks for the reviews on Corelli strings, after reading the posts I´m actually pretty interested about trying them

19. Just a comment from south of the equator!
    Corelli's are GREATTTTTTTTTTTTTT!
    End of Story!

Don't know much about Bloomberg Joints.....
    But we have some Noosa Heads down here
    "Make Balls Fester... Then Burst";)

20. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I tried a little research on the Noosa Heads and couldn't figure out what you're talking about.

What?