1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warning: Carpet coverings and cats don't mix!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigcardinal, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Just a precaution to those of you who have cats, especially young ones: They may see your carpet-covered amps/cabinets as scratching posts! I have had to ensure that my amp is covered with old towels at all times when I am not around, as my little monster has turned much of my amps' carpeting to shreded fluff!

2. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Read here for some useful ideas on how to "fix" the problem.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240914&goto=newpost

3. As I was reading this post my cat jumped into my lap and then spooked. She punctured my leg so deeply with her hind claws that I am having a heck of a time getting the bleeding stopped.

Grrrrrrr,
    S

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Sorry, but cats and carpets really do exist. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to pick up a Bergantino HT-210 for $350! :smug:

5. Several solutions that have worked for me:

- Keep your gear and your cats seperated. Surprisingly effective, and it's good for your electronics too. (Anyone else had the pleasure of cleaning burnt cat pee from within an electronic device?)
    - buy your cats a scratching post of their own that is more interesting than your amplifier.
    - Get cats comfy in front of speaker cabs, then crank the volume, turn on the bass microsynth with full square wave and strike a power chord (they soon learn.)

Nowadays, even just the idle hum coming from my rig when it's powered is enough to make the cats slink gingerly past my jam room door.

Cruel to be kind.

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Get a dog.

7. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Yes, this happened to me once and we almost had cat-on-a-stick for dinner that night.

We're now cat-free and I don't have to remembr to cover my rig.