1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARNING: Darrin Huff basses: over TWELVE YEARS and still waiting

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

1. UK Philip

UK Philip

Sep 5, 2013
    i was just joking around. we don't really have litigation here so it's all very exciting stuff. :p

apologies, didn't see that he was penniless.

2. The curious thing about the "lack of tools" and "mentally incompetent" statement is that every now and then, a purported Darrin Huff bass has shown up on this thread, years after the thread was started.

Can Darrin Huff even build basses? You don't have to sue, file a fraud suit and he'll serve ssoft time for a year or two in a state penitentiary. If you all join forces, it'll work out cheap to make him suffer.

About here, I'd normally start screaming about Illuminati warping people's minds and stuff and ruining such beautiful, beautiful Hollywood actresses lives by making them take nude selfies. I mean, why would they do that, I can't stand it anymore and I think I'll just leave this thread for another couple of years before I bust something.

I'll just tell you this, because I feel responsible. Someone shows you a white (silver) worm like the happy man from Pantera and other bands have seen and asks you a riddle, answer "lies" or you and your family will be in danger. Was that over the top and nuts enough? I can do anything and there's nothing anybody can do to stop me. Say lies and nothing else. I'm a bonafide psychopath, top of the world ma!

3. allenhumble

allenhumble Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Kennesaw GA.
  4. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    How many people gave this guy XX amount of dollars?

a x b = c.

It must be quite a few people giving quite a few dollars to produce a thread like this one.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

This wonderfully succinct summary bears repeating.

6. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Pretty glad that i got a stambaugh. Took alittle over a year. Love it like no other. If i wasnt so impatient, id have him build me a custom t-bird.

7. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014
    Well, that's kinda the tricky bit, innit? I may've quoted this before, but like Larry David said, "Nothing feels better than cancelling plans. It's like crack."

And therein lies the problem. People who suffer from these kinds of disorders find themselves incapable of taking care of basic responsibilities. This even includes self care: hygiene, bills, sending out birthday cards, etc. It also includes responsibilities towards others. When the world becomes too much, they just shut down, sometimes to the point of actively pushing away those who are trying to help. (Like that really nice guy who tried to apprentice under him like 50 years ago.) If you want to see this in action, attend an AA meeting. You'll meet people who watched their lives falling apart around them but were unable to do anything about it until they hit rock bottom.

Again, I'm not trying to defend Darrin's actions. A big part of moving forward is admitting that ya done goofed. Bad. Catastrophically, in this case. It seems that Darrin has tried to do this - his most recent attempt being the most significant - but it was a false start. One of many.

Someday he might be able to get his affairs in order. And, who knows, he might be able to right his wrongs. Until then, like others have pointed out, all anybody can do is wait. This stone has no more blood to give.

Quantized Harmonic likes this.
  8. you should all be acquainted with the Statute of Limitation. Ten years? Good luck convincing a court be it civil or criminal you should be successful in your litigation.

Caveat Emptor (Sp?)

Jah Wobble Fan likes this.
  9. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Not this noise again. Look, caveat emptor doesn't apply here. Read about it.
    It would cover SGD selling bad/defective PUPs and saying "Tough Toenails" if you tried to get your money back. But that's not the point here. It's fraud pure and simple.

The phrase as you use it implies that the people that gave him a deposit knew full well what he was like and took the risk anyway. At the time all this went down Dave had a good reputation, I even almost ordered from him at the time but decided that the project wasn't at the level to require custom pickups. I was interested in the Wal clone project and followed that thread and things went fine for a while. Then most of us here on TB got to watch the slow-motion train wreck that started this thread in the first place. The whole thing is sad. Sad because a guy that was making a good product at the time trashed what could have been a lucrative business and sad because a lot of people were simply ripped off.
    And now as if they don't feel bad enough, they have to deal with people like you that blame the victim.

10. Oh grow up. Should this guy have defrauded customers? Of course not. However, some businesses do that even if it's wrong, hence caveat emptor. Unfortunately, in the world we live, not every business is reputable.

The point of the post is if your not getting what you paid for, then take action in a reasonable time. Don't wait 10 years and come and expect sympathy. True the customers are not at fault for the fraud, however they carry some fault in not trying to correct it in a time frame that would allow the courts to make them whole for the wrong against them. Not taking action is on the customers, again caveat emptor.

Is your skin really that thin?

Jack MN likes this.
  11. I'm sorry, I just read your link. Wikipedia law? Ok, well get a law degree then we'll talk

12. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I think you're confusing this thread (Darrin Huff) with the SGD thread.

13. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Yes, I'll own that. But as far as I'm concerned, the point still stands. He's blaming the victims. None of them stood around with their hands in their pockets, whistling in the dark and hoping that Darrin (or Stever for that matter) would be "Oh such a nice guy and while your at it could you please, please find it in your heart to refund my money?" I realize that these threads are a bit of a slog, but come on. To think that this went on for over 4 years and no one thought to do anything? Sheesh. How on earth would they have known better?

Fuzzbass likes this.
  14. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    His point regarding the statue of limitations is valid.

15. basschanges

basschanges Unconditionally Loving Member Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Valid argumentation if the premise was valid, which it doesn't seem to be. He is right about not being able to do anything about it now. It's over. However, people didn't simply wait until 10 years after the fraud was made clear. In most cases of fraud the best the victims can expect is pennies on the dollar even if the fraud is caught within the SOL. This case is no different.

These victims could have been any of us with enough cash and desire to get a fully custom bass. Any attempt to blame them for the situation in which they find themselves is just the mind's way of distancing itself from the prospect that so much of life is uncontrollable.

16. blastoff99

blastoff99

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA
    To those of you who have a dog in this race: I am sorry that you're in this mess. I hope that you will eventually get satisfactory resolution, but hope is a lousy strategy - and it seems that's all you've got.

To those of us who do not have a dog in this race: Some have speculated on Mr. Huff's mental state and his criminal (or not) intentions. Some have attempted to defend him. Some have told the victims what they should do. Many have told the victims what they personally would do if they were a victim. My thought here is that for those of us who are *not* victims to tell the people who are what they should / we would do is both insulting and presumptive. It's easy to say, and sure, I have my opinion and my inclination - but it's hypothetical. We're lurkers; Mr. Huff's victims have been living this for many years. For us, it's a sideshow, a cautionary tale, a slow-motion 80-car pileup in the fog. For them, it's real money, real time, real opportunity lost.

Woulda / coulda / shoulda doesn't help the victims. I wish it did.

PS - I am fully qualified to make this post even though I don't have a dog in the race because I used to have a dog that did race. :)

17. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I'm closing this because there is a lot of off-topic chatter in this thread by people that aren't involved and we're not getting anywhere.

I'm leaving this stickied for now to serve as a warning for potential buyers. If anyone directly involved in all of this has news that they'd like to post in the thread, please contact me and I'll gladly reopen this thread.

18. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    A user sent me a link to Facebook, where he posts "updates" from time to time. Here's a photo with a crop of basses: https://www.facebook.com/pages/D-Huff-Guitars/513771252023434

edit: this one, from November:

This might be the same group he's been working on for some time. I'm leaving this closed and stickied for now, but if anyone has something they want to share, just send me a note...obviously if someone receives an ordered bass, please let us know and I can reopen.

19. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
  20. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    There have been a couple of D Huff basses posted for sale in recent months. If anyone has actually received a bass that was ordered long ago, please send me a message and I'll update this thread with your post.

I'm not holding my breath, though. Shameful.