1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARNING: Darrin Huff basses: over TWELVE YEARS and still waiting

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RudyTardy

RudyTardy

Aug 20, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Guess I need to post here every few years just to kick myself in the teeth. Now I'm up to 14 years and counting. Any guys like me who were in the first batch of orders still here? A la 2001/2002?

Garret Graves likes this.
  2. scarswebare

scarswebare

Jun 2, 2016
    It is the rainbow bass and this listing in particular Bass guitar which I believe he built some time ago. I figured $1500 shipped was a great deal considering how much time goes into creating a rainbow style bass. I've been wanting a Carl Thompson inspired bass since I'm not rich enough to afford a real one.

Yes, I did some research on the guy's work but didn't dive too much into the actual issues with those who were having custom bass guitars built (seeing as I was just considering buying something he'd already made). In all honesty, I considered the positive aspects of the work he has done and the positive feedback he did get when he was on top of his game which is why I opted to purchase the bass. I know the time/effort that goes into it. With that being said, I decided to see what the actual issues were with people not getting their custom builds which is why I joined the forum and spent time reading through this long ass thread. I can only sympathize with the anger and frustration experienced by everyone who are suffering from this. I recently had a Skervesen custom guitar built which took 3 months over their estimated 7-10 month turnaround. I spent nearly $3k and I was getting antsy. So to read that people are going on over a decade is absolutely INSANE to me! Not sure what you guys paid thus far but any amount of money is too much. I'm not as nice as some of you guys... I'd probably be hunting this guy down to have a one on one conversation in person and get my money back.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  3. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    I have no issues with that, and personally I don't think anyone else should either.

Welcome to TB, poke around, sit down and take your shoes off. We're friendly folk.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    scarswebare likes this.
  4. stacker

stacker Banned

Feb 24, 2010
    scotland
    Dear grief. 14 years and no bass??

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

You have me beat. I've only been waiting since April 2003.

6. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    Now this is funny:

capture_001_08062016_150311.

Garret Graves, NoDra, bopeuph and 2 others like this.
  7. RudyTardy

RudyTardy

Aug 20, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Should we come up with a serenity slogan like AA uses?

tattooSAM likes this.
  8. tattooSAM

tattooSAM Supporting Member

May 22, 2016
    Northwest Pennsylvania
    One day I hope to make a bass so awesome, people would wait a decade to receive their order. Until then, I'll make myself something not quite as awesome.But someday...:angel:

Hang in there folks, keep the faith and remember - You could by a poorly made, mass-produced bass with a click of a button for a fraction of the cost. That's obviously NOT what you wanted when you ordered. That being said, waiting for a sweet custom built bass like that for that long truly sucks.:mad:

9. scarswebare

scarswebare

Jun 2, 2016
    That's browser cookies for you. Funny thing is, that is the bass that just got delivered to me today! Really wish Darrin would get his stuff together. Upon examining the craftsmanship of this one, he knows his stuff. It would rival any Carl Thompson bass. It's crazy how someone that talented would let their talent go to waste and drag others down in the process.

BadJazz likes this.
  10. slowburnaz

slowburnaz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Only since January 2003 here.

11. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    HOLY CRAP!!!! You've been waiting since 2003, well Darrin adleast try to give your deposit back or is that going to be another 13 years.

12. Fuzzbass

It would be nice to get the refund Darrin recently promised, but the only logical conclusion I can draw as a member of the 13-year-wait club is that I will never get a refund or a bass.

13. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    They aren't waiting for anything.

arrowsun likes this.
  14. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Despite this post from one page back, some people still don't get it. Closing this back again, but if anyone has any news to share, feel free to send me a note. I'd be fine reopening...again.

Tennesseemick and Fuzzbass like this.
  15. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    A TB member pointed out to me that there has been some activity on the Facebook page: D Huff Guitars | Facebook so I wanted to reopen this in case any people with orders in have news to share. :ninja::cautious::unsure:

People that don't have orders in, please don't point out the obvious: that in all likelihood it's not going to happen. Thanks.

Fuzzbass and rodneyat like this.
  16. Fuzzbass

I caught one post in my news feed last week, but I see there's a whole bunch of posts this year, featuring two (?) basses. Apparently he's going to NAMM -- not sure why, when he has a buttload of orders to complete first -- but to be fair, on January 4th Darrin posted "After all my orders are filled I will be making instruments for sale. But I am no longer taking any kind of deposits for basses."

I just pinged him at his new e-mail address to find out if there's any news on my order (placed and paid for in 2003, bears repeating).

Paging @Kristjankisi as one of the basses near completion is his (I believe).

17. EduardoK

EduardoK Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Gee he thanked Carey Nordstrand on January 7th...

18. Fuzzbass

Darrin replied that he will return from NAMM on January 23rd, and will then put together a schedule of the remaining basses.

Garret Graves likes this.
  19. Hello all, yup Ken is right the Macassar Ebony sixer is mine. I've also been waiting since early 2003. Darrin has been making progress of late and things are looking good on the sixer.

20. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    Had to go back 14 pages (and 3 years) to find the last updated bass list.

2006 - 0 finished basses
    2007 - 0 finished basses
    2008 - 1 finished bass (bolt on P-bass)
    2009 - 2 finished basses (bolt on J-bass, 6 string custom bass)
    2010 - 1 finished bass (4 string bird's eye maple bass)
    2011 - 2 finished basses (4 string rainbow bass, bolt on J-bass)
    2012 - 1 finished bass (another 4 string rainbow bass)
    2013 - 1 finished bass (4 string Limba bass - sold on eBay)

*paint drying*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.