1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARNING: Darrin Huff basses: over TWELVE YEARS and still waiting

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Basiroti

Basiroti

Jan 9, 2018
    Huff says he's going to Summer NAMM but he isn't listed in the 2018 summer exhibitors under Zeller or huff or Darrin huff or dh guitars. The 2018 NAMM Show Directory

am I missing something?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Darrin is supposed to be hanging out at the Darkglass Booth.

Basiroti and Pbassmanca like this.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Source?

If that's a joke, it's not funny! I love Darkglass pedals.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Updates have been provided. You just have to look for them. If you don’t feel this post is necessary, dont click. Move on.

5. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    I'm not implying that this was a joke, this information was mentioned 2 or 3 pages back that Darrin was supposed to be at the DarkGlass Booth, now if I misread or misunderstood something I'm really sorry but I swear that is what I read.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  6. Fuzzbass

Oh, got it. I was hoping this might be the case. In short, one of Darrin's basses was in the Darkglass booth at January NAMM. Followup: someone noticed this from a NAMM photo, and alerted Doug to Darrin's history via this thread. Doug said Darrin was referred by a luthier friend, but he never would have accepted the bass if he'd known the full story.

P.S. Sorry about my overreaction, but that was the first thing I read when I got up this morning. :jawdrop: I usually appreciate gallows humor, and it actually would have been a funny joke. :)

Pbassmanca likes this.
  7. Basiroti

Basiroti

Jan 9, 2018
    I am relieved it was a misreading. I'm curious about what Darrin will be doing at NAMM. Maybe Zeller will be appearing at another booth, like one belonging to one of his aforementioned partners?

Fuzzbass likes this.
  8. Fuzzbass

I suspect you are right. Either that, or the NAMM merchant listing isn't fully up to date.

Basiroti likes this.
  9. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    OOPS!!!! So it was last Namm Show, I took it as it was the upcoming Namm Show, big SORRY on that one.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  10. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    From a person following this thread for years, who has read everything in it, this is what I hope for the people who paid and have not received what they paid for.

I hope that you will eventually receive what you are owed and I hope that you are able to enjoy it despite the very negative emotions that will certainly accompany the artfully crafted piece of wood, metal, and magnets.

AltGrendel, Pbassmanca and Fuzzbass like this.
  11. Fuzzbass

S'all good, man. :)

51kRoLmHMmL._SX355_.

ICM, catcauphonic, Pendulous and 4 others like this.
  12. pigpen1

pigpen1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Its funny you say that. I think I read somewhere in this threat that the people who are owed basses collectively decided against taking legal action because apparently Huff has no assets and it would lower the probability that anyone would actually get their bass.

Wel...all I can say is that you guys are saints. I'd definitely be the outlier, in that even if it cost me more money to go after they guy than I would ever get back just out of spite. Other than that there very little anyone could do to talk me out of it. I don't know who everyone involved has played it cool for so long. Hearts of gold I guess. To be blunt, the guy is lucky he hasn't taken money from the kind of people who might look at other options outside of the message boards and courts in a situation like this.

ICM, MD Stingray and Pbassmanca like this.
  13. Fuzzbass

First, I don't believe that anyone on the Huff wait list has contacted every other person on the list. Second, the subgroup I conversed with many years ago was split. Some were in the camp you described, but others wanted to take legal action (I do not know what became of that). As for me, the more research I did, the more certain I became that legal action would be futile - not to mention a big waste of time and money. Yet another factor is that I live on the opposite coast from Darrin.

BadJazz, Pbassmanca and RudyTardy like this.
  14. I agree. Suing him is of no value. He clearly has nothing to take. He is going to NAMM, I assume to promote his company and even take orders.

From everything I have read here and seen on his FB page, those bass backorders will never be filled. Sounds like he cut his losses, covered them in a cloud of personal issues, and has moved on.

I would love to be proven wrong.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  15. Fuzzbass

On Facebook Darrin claimed that he would not take advance orders for Zeller guitars -- he would only sell finished product. We shall see.

scuzzy and Rob Martinez like this.
  16. Well, that is promising. Time will tell!

17. Imaginary Pony

Imaginary Pony

Aug 29, 2014
    Guy I don’t know rings up at my workshop and says ‘’can I sit in with you at the trade fair?’’ I would very certainly take ten minutes out of my day to look his name up on professional interest sites, Facebook and even Twitter.
    I do it for anybody I’mgoing to give professional credit to, often times with suppliers, and a thorough credit ratings check can be done for me by the bank in less than 30 minutes.
    You don’t need to employ someone to do it for you, and I at least could get my book keeper to do it
    for me.

18. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Alien Audio / Mesa Fanatic!! Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    He wasn't sitting in the booth, he had a bass in the booth. Not an uncommon thing at NAMM.

19. Fuzzbass

Wasn't remotely like that. First, as Rich said, it was a bass, not a person. Second, according to Doug (Darkglass), the Huff bass was recommended by a luthier friend. It's kind of hard to assign blame to Doug for taking a friend's recommendation, and I'm not sure it's fair to assign blame to the luthier friend, because Darrin's history isn't exactly industry-wide news (though FWIW I asked Doug to get his luthier friend up to speed).