1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARNING: Darrin Huff basses: over TWELVE YEARS and still waiting

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. I believe your link is for the Winter NAMM show. Here is the summer directory - Summer NAMM 2018 Directory

Pbassmanca and Fuzzbass like this.
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Ah, thanks. Zeller Guitars, booth 2006.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  3. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014
    jesus, they really will let anyone in, won't they?

and also, a quick reminder, with very few exceptions, if you have a question, it has probably been answered in great detail earlier in the thread. re-hashing the same arguments over and over only makes the thread longer, messier, and exacerbates the problem.

(oh, and saying "I didn't have time" or "I'm too lazy too" doesn't make it ok.)

4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    How long have you been waiting?

Royal Jelly and Pbassmanca like this.
  5. Yikes

6. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014
    I see your point and no, I have no dog in this fight. nor did I claim to. I am, however, a member of this forum, and as such felt that it would be OK to suggest a simple rule of etiquette that really applies to all threads. one that your mama really should've taught you. you can't just walk in at the end of a movie and ask "wait, what's going on?" without annoying the people already watching.
    moving on.

Ikkir, Basiroti, ak56 and 5 others like this.
  7. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    :rollno:

Royal Jelly and Pbassmanca like this.
  8. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    According to his Zeller guitars FB post, Darrin will not be going to NAM so he can finish up half of the basses he promised to deliver by June 23rd. Fingers crossed to those expecting their bass by then.

Fuzzbass, ICM and Pbassmanca like this.
  9. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Here’s the full post:

Unrealistic Optimist....

So, I have learned the hard way I was an unrealistic optimist in thinking I would come up with enough money to make it to the Summer NAMM, and that I would have enough time to finish half of my back orders while making the first batch of Zeller Guitars for the show.

I have made the decision to do the right thing and focus the majority of my time and energy to finishing up my backorders, while giving a fraction of the time to the Zeller Guitars to still move them forward. This choice is going to cost me thousands of dollars in a non refundable NAMM booth, reservations for the trip, etc.... but it is the right choice.

I love the time I have been getting in the shop, and I feel a level of happiness creating basses and guitars that I have not found in any other job I have ever had. My goal is to continue working in the shop nearly full time until the backorders are done and I can correctly launch Zeller Guitars.

There will be another post in a day or two with more details.

Becoming a Realistic Optimist,
    Darrin​

Fuzzbass and Pbassmanca like this.
  10. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy... Supporting Member

Better late than never I guess.

11. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    I'm watching to see when this thread will turn to 100 pages.
    Kind of like watching you car's odometer hit 100,000 miles.

12. ICM

ICM

Apr 29, 2013
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    This guy is an idiot. He has no clue how to work with money...that's assuming I believe those words in his FB post. He is a certified card-carrying member of the dumbass club. My god, how could someone mismanage their funds and life so poorly and then so blithely post about it on Facebook with some "realistic optimism" spin. Denial isn't just a river in Egypt. Huff is a walking DSM-5 if you ask me.

Hopefully though, he delivers the backorders as promised. That should take precedence over anything else.

13. Fuzzbass

Amen to that.

I hope that Darrin is doing the right thing for the right reasons. If he's doing the right thing because of lack of investors for Zeller, then that's OK with me too. Bottom line is that I hope he winds up delivering the backordered basses, and I wish him the very best of luck.

P.S. It's interesting to know that 10 backorders accounts for half of them -- roughly half, anyway.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  14. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    The right choice would of been to use those "thousands of dollars" to repay some of those he owes money to.

Moonshine :bassist:

15. Pbassmanca

Ha! Ok that made me laugh.:roflmao: It's actually pretty sad when you think about it though. As long as @Fuzzbass gets his bass then I will be happy, and completed to the highest standards of lutherie!

Fuzzbass, ICM and Kristjankisi like this.
  16. Fuzzbass

I'm not the only one in this boat (and at least two have been waiting longer than I), but I will accept your good wishes on behalf of the entire group! :)

That's the one thing I'm confident about: if/when my bass is completed, it will be top quality.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  17. Imaginary Pony

Imaginary Pony

Aug 29, 2014
    Darren appears to have emotional possibly mental problems, and when one is as depressive as he seems to be, money is one of the things which it is extremely easy to lose control of.
    Money and time management are recent developements in human history, and are learned skills, not instictive or common sense.

18. Pbassmanca

Well, based on everything I've read here and from my limited understanding of the situation, I would say you're probably correct in your assessment and also about your opinions of money management as well. Even the most stable well-adjusted people sometimes have difficulty managing their money in terms of personal finance let alone running a small business which I can say from experience is much more difficult than it sounds.

ICM and Imaginary Pony like this.
  19. Pbassmanca

There are a multitude of incredible tradespeople that inspite of their talents and best efforts, have made lousy business people...

ICM and Imaginary Pony like this.
  20. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    Good to hear. I'm not sure I could have kept my spirits up if I were in your situation.

Pbassmanca likes this.