1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses / Zeller Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    I was going to comment along the lines of "Brand new vintage bass!" but you beat me to it.

/shakes fist

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. Eneade

Eneade

Jun 14, 2008
    France
    And still no news of the bass from Iceland ? Come on...
    Is anybody able to get news from this person directly ?

Gunga Din and Pbassmanca like this.
  3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    IIRC he had pretty much checked out from TB.

Just dropped in to remark on his (alleged) good fortune.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  4. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    @Deano Destructo and @lesclaypoolsob commented about payments in late 2001. The website can search through the pages for you.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  5. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    at least the wood should be well seasoned and stable now

6. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

I guess this all just goes to show you how easy it is to just take money. It's the easiest part of the transaction, you just open your hand and bam! Money! Then the difficult part comes. Delivering on the finished product....This must be why banks have it so good. Their main product is taking people's money. "Place your money here. We'll hold it for you". End of service.....:smug:

ThinCrappyTone, CatchaCuda and J_Bass like this.
  7. Valsmere

Valsmere Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2018
    southern NJ
    I'm surprised this guy isn't in jail yet

Pbassmanca and J_Bass like this.
  8. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Or that he didn't encounter a "nervous" client in 20 years.

This is unbelievable. This guy is a thief and a scammer. Reading this new text, you can clearly point out personality desorders. From the narcissism to the detachment of reality, sociopathy. No sense of self-awarness or remorse. Thief.

Ikkir, ajkula66 and Valsmere like this.
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I contacted Kristjan the other week. I was hoping he'd have time to post an update himself, but obviously not, so I will (he said it would be okay). In short, he's had much more important things going on in his life, with both his business and his band. The bass is still with his friend in Canada. Because shipping is so expensive, the plan has been for his friend to visit Iceland and bring the bass along with him, but they haven't been able to coordinate that yet. Here's a video.

10. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    If someone is mentally ill can they be a thief? It's a tricky one.

11. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Yes they can. Unless they are considered unimputable.

I didn't say he was mentally ill. I said he had personality desorder. But he is still responsible for his actions, because they are done in conscious, he knows what he's doing, he knows he's hurting and deceiving other people, he just doesn't care.

12. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    got a copy of the DSM-5 in the library in your home?

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  13. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
  14. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    No.

15. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Ok.

I am more than willing to discuss semantics, if you guys don't want to try to understand what I was trying to say. But let's do that in portuguese, ok?

ImaStupidBaby and S-Bigbottom like this.
  16. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I knew someone with a personality disorder or mental illness who was unable to determine the difference between truth and reality, let alone right or wrong. He claimed to have done all sorts of things provably not true but sincerely believed that he had done so. Lost all his savings on a failed business venture. No drugs or anything involved. It was really tragic.

He was really bright, but he needed his whole life managing to protect him and his loved ones from the issues he had. Given the right support he would have been really productive. We lost touch as after ruining his financial situation and making his wife and young child's life a mess it was hard to keep in touch. That's a failing on my part as he needed support but it's hard for us ordinary folk to provide it.

17. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    IMG_0834.GIF

@J_Bass I understand what you're saying, but it's less true than Darrin's promises to have a bass shipped in 2014. You haven't had him on your couch and you are way out of your depth in trying to diagnose what Darrin knows and doesn't know in regard to anything other than machining small billets and gluing & cutting wood.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  18. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    I'll edit this post, because it lost meaning after you editing yours.

I will just say this. People like this revolt me. I am in full solidarity with the fellow TB'ers that lost their money. I just hope they get a bass or the money.

As for the "Luthier", I will make no more comments, because I see how poorly interpreted my words can be.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Pbassmanca likes this.
  19. CTBassGuy

CTBassGuy Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Danbury, CT
    That’s a really beautiful bass; I totally understand why you who commissioned them wanted them.

It’s a shame Darrin has whatever problem he has; he could have become a well respected name in boutique circles with basses like that.

Pbassmanca, Fuzzbass, Ikkir and 3 others like this.
  20. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    WOW!!!! Pure art!!!!

Pbassmanca and MattZilla like this.