1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses / Zeller Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

I can't say that I wouldn't have laid down the $449.00, grabbed the Tele and ran for the hills.....:D

ICM and Gorn like this.
  2. Me too. The only people he helped was the pawn shop's profits. The original owner wouldn't have benefited.
    Although if it was at a yard sale from a little old lady selling her deceased husbands instruments then i'd probably have offered double which would have made her happy and me happy at the same time.

cataract and Pbassmanca like this.
  3. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    I really don't believe much of that either. Did he have time to pull the neck to check for the date[s?] Was he called in my his buddy (like on pawn stars) to look it over? "let me call a buddy Here in Las Vegas who happens to be a expert on 3000 year old tugboat paddles and have him check it out..."

Why would he throw a note in there from Greg thee employee, to vouch for his 'integrity? You don't know i Greg said anything like that or not. Come to think of it, you don't know if there is even a Greg or not. More I could say but...
    Karma? whatever...
    Little Jack Horner...

Mark 63, J_Bass and Pbassmanca like this.
  4. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    "I hope it helps refill my karma bank for the ******** I have put others through...."

The only way to refill that bank is make good to those he owes basses / money too.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Ikkir, Fuzzbass, J_Bass and 2 others like this.
  5. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    It's not coming to anybody.

Ukko likes this.
  6. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Now THAT is funny! :roflmao:

7. Mark 63

Mark 63

Apr 3, 2012
    Connecticut
    Why would the pawn shop let him unbolt the neck on a $449 guitar? They don't let people click the triggers on rifles (a sound policy).
    Also, pawn shops know the difference between Fender USA and imports. So unless Chumly was behind the counter, a Fender USA with Bigsby wouldn't be priced anywhere 450.
    And he has pictures of the guitar lacking the under-priced tag or the exciting neck date.
    DH needs to make his lies more plausible.

Ukko and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  8. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

I'm not so sure I buy any of that. In the age of the internet it would have taken less than ten minutes for the pawn shop owner to look up the history of that guitar and determine its worth.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  9. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That story is a lie. There was a thing with that guitar at the pawn shop and those pictures were taken and he reworked it into a story that he thinks makes him look good. He's a compulsive liar and fraud, IMO.

Robus, BadJazz, J_Bass and 1 other person like this.
  10. Mark 63

Mark 63

Apr 3, 2012
    Connecticut
    The real audience for this tale might be his sponsor.

11. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    from the looks of this thread, he might be busy with steps 8 and 9 for quite some time...

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I placed my order 16 years ago this month. I'm not asking for the big consolation prize because others have been waiting longer than I. Just marking the anniversary.

13. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    How does the saying go? Tragedy plus time equals comedy? Unfortunately the math doesn't work after you subtract a few grand.

RickyT, Fuzzbass, Pbassmanca and 5 others like this.
  14. LOL! He probably watched another customer planning to buy it and then decided to spill the beans.

Pbassmanca and Garret Graves like this.
  15. It’s 16 years old now! Maybe it will drive itself to you!

roogbass, Fuzzbass and Pbassmanca like this.
  16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

16 years is a long time. It's comedy. I chalk it up as an expensive lesson learned back in my "youth".

BadJazz and Pbassmanca like this.
  17. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

16 years. Wow. Do you think you’ll ever see it?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  18. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Hang in there a while longer and it'll be "vintage".

-Asdfgh- likes this.
  19. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    It'll look pretty young but just be back-dated. You could try another bass, of course, a subs...

Fuzzbass and smperry like this.
  20. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    and now, The Who is in my head. :)

Fuzzbass, Slater and S-Bigbottom like this.