1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses / Zeller Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    One would hope so. That's the whole point, to make sure he never gets the opportunity to rip off an unsuspecting buyer again.

The days of him being a luthier are over. He lost that right a long time ago. No more of this "I need to make and sell guitars so I can afford to make basses that I was paid to make almost two decades ago."

It's beyond time for him to go get a full time job, sell off everything luthier related he has, tools, parts, any instruments, amps, gear, etc... and start making payments to some people. Even offer that stuff to those he owes money to. Some will probably take him up on it. Some might even go as far as thanking him for the offer, and tell him to keep it. You never know what a sincere offer to make something right will bring.

For some there comes a time in one's life, when bad choices have been made, that you have to buckle up, get rid of everything you own, and live a minimal existence just to get by day to day. Been there, done that myself, not for ripping people off, but for other reasons all together. I chose certain things in life over more important things in life. But the same concept applies. When one becomes selfish in chasing one's dreams, affects the lives of others negatively, is in denial about it all, and always putting self before others at their expense, it eventually catches up to you, it's called karma.

Amen to that.

Some day the chance to right every wrong one has ever committed will go away. Better to do it while you can than to put it off and make excuses for it. Righting the ship has rewards of it's own. Being able to sleep at night does too. And it sure makes life a heck of a lot easier.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  2. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Been lurking for a while, it's good to see more people calm over the situation like you and @Fuzzbass and many others, victims or not.

On the other end of the spectrum, the attacks (which the majority of which appear to be from those not affected) won't make it desirable for him want to come back anytime soon. Not saying any of it is not warranted -- frustration alone is I'm sure -- but it's wasted energy when given the current situation there are only two likely end results. One being him actually building them, or not.

I have no affiliation either way, just making some observations. What the guy did is nigh unforgivable. Although I can never truly understand the depth of frustration, anger, and sadness the victims likely experienced, never having been there myself, I totally understand where they're coming from.

I hope for a satisfactory resolution sooner than later, especially if that helps prevent further victims which a true value of this thread.

3. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    I would like to think that he sincerely was going to make an effort and finish a few of those basses this year but those slaggings, attacks......they're will have no effect other than to stall him, maybe even have him chuck those bodies we saw on a bonfire and post it just to piss off his still-waiting customers and the cattle-prodders that are winding him up.

If the latter had left the man alone, there may have been some progress, I'd like to think. Now, with the Huffgate List and the subsequent TB ban, all bets are off.

One day, this will be turned into a movie. It has everything: a genius who slips into a maelstrom of mental health issues, then torturing himself and his creditors through promises that are seen as chicanery. There's anger, disappointment, John Wayne, Columbo, Judge Judy, pathos, and, finally, bathos!

This thread is worse than a Coke habit!

Sam Dingle and Novarocker like this.
  4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    You're welcome to think that.
    Based on many years of his behavior, promises, etc., that seems like it would be an extremely unlikely (though most welcome) outcome.

5. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    :laugh:

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sorry, but that’s pretty nonsensical thinking. If you’re an adult who actually takes responsibility for yourself, nothing anyone says on the internet is going to stop you from doing your job. If he is so sensitive that his feelings are hurt and he is dismayed from building instruments anytime he goes online and sees the well-deserved vitriol thrown his way, then it is his job to stay off the internet and just build those instruments. It is neither the responsibility of his victims nor the people who are upset after seeing him carry out theft and lies towards others to coddle him in order to do coax him into doing his job.

DrMole, ImaStupidBaby, GregC and 21 others like this.
  7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    When you steal from someone you can't get mad at your victims for being mean to you. You can, but what's the supposed to get you?

DrMole, GregC, Garret Graves and 7 others like this.
  8. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    Nonsensical? How so? The man has mental afflictions! He clearly doesn't act like an adult when under pressure. Haven't you not noticed that, throughout this whole saga?

9. I agree. He's not making basses because I called him out on not making basses? Um, ok!

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If he has mental afflictions that prevent him from being able to handle the deserved criticisms he’s receiving as a builder, then it is his responsibility to close up shop, never talk about building an instrument again, then take on whatever normal job he can handle and use the money from that to pay back his victims. If he’s going to continue to work as a builder, then he needs to take the responsibilities that come with that. It has nothing to do with mental afflictions and everything to do with personal responsibility.

DrMole, Nashrakh, devo_stevo and 10 others like this.
  11. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    I agree. But what if he doesn't see it that way? There's the rub: we can't empathise with him; we can only guess at what's stopping him from going forward. But, a guy with that mindset, going medieval on his arse will cause him to burn the lot. Now, that's not adult behaviour but he's already hinted at it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  12. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Returning to revel in the damage he hath wrought .
    Then is seemingly surprised when the smoking stove burns him.
    Angry people who are not victims seem to cause him great indignation, as though to invalidate that they have a right to be apalled and angry at seeing this rampant disregard for social decency (outright lies, at least promises never intended to be kept)
    Language aside, he is s thief, a grifter, a compulsive liar, and a sociopathic avoidance of accepting guilt for his actions and repercussions of same.
    It is fraud, and as a thinking empathetic beings . We are all are a little angered by that---- justifiably so.

13. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Whichever way Mr. Huff see things has been less than productive for the past 15 years, and I'm being kind here.

I don't believe that anyone but a novelist and/or psychiatrist would be interested in "what's stopping him from going forward". Mr. Huff was awarded a ton of (undeserved IMO) empathy, patience and kindness over the past decade plus. It's time to step up or wrap it up. And if he burns the unfinished basses, what difference will that make ? I seriously doubt that any of his customers/victims realistically expect to actually receive a finished product from him.

Mr Huff came here to get banned IMO. There is absolutely zero meaningful contribution that he can make on *any* forum at this point in the game, but he decided to re-join here and act tough. Beyond lame. That type of behaviour wouldn't have been tolerated from anyone else IMO, why would he be enabled to spew his rants around here?

The ban worked wonders for him, of course, in giving him another topic to rant about on FB. Oh well.

14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It doesn’t matter if he sees it that way or not. If he refuses to build another instrument unless you personally send him $100 to motivate him to get started, are you going to do it just because that might be his mindset? You’re not doing someone any favors by coddling their bad behaviors.

15. /\/\3phist0

Ahh the box troll, still hunts me down, and comments on videos posted anywhere he can, fake accounts etc.

Duder likes this.
  16. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Absolutely true, but what good is done by doing the opposite? Especially from people who are only doing so just to play the tough guy and have no stake in the game.

Novarocker likes this.
  17. /\/\3phist0

Act tough? hardly !!REALLY Teacher they looked mean at me! MOOOM tell her to stop looking at me.
    I stole these marbles to play with you and now you call me a bad words that hurt feelings, I'm gonna pack up my marbles and chuck them into the alley and then no-one will be able to play marbles!

(as overheard at nursery schools the world over)

18. nbsipics

nbsipics It's the Bass that makes them Dance Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Crap. I ran out of popcorn!

19. It is possible, though highly unlikely, that he believes in his own mind that he wants to do what is right. Unfortunately he has shown that he is basically incapable of doing so by the following actions.... keeping a finished guitar, rather than selling it...... buying an amp that he can't afford.... asking for guitar orders when he stated that he was not going to do so until all basses were delivered..... making production schedule promises and missing every one of them time and again......and my favourite, the one that said to me loud and clear that he was just running another scam, was his "buy a t-shirt to win a guitar".

As others have stated, he had ample opportunity 10 or more years ago to either sell his equipment or get a full time job to pay off his debts. It is unfortunate for him that he lives in the internet age. Twenty or more years ago he would have easily been able to just start up under another name time and time again. At least now anyone doing even a tiny bit of research before slapping down a deposit will see this thread. We just have to ensure that any name he uses in the future gets added to this.

Pendulous and ajkula66 like this.
  20. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Apparently 9 hours wasn’t enough time.

Reedt2000 and nbsipics like this.