1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses / Zeller Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Darrin needs to find a new career. Not kidding.

If he hasn’t figured out how to repay or fulfill the orders in 10 years he doesn’t have the means. And he won’t find the means by building new basses because of both his damaged reputation (which he has only made worse) and the economic realities of building instruments to make a living in this day and age.

This a hopeless situation and it is a shame. For all the people burned and yes even for Darrin.

He needs to move on. Only then could he possibly be able to repay everyone. But I wouldn’t count on him doing that given this latest episode.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    bound'n'blocked, Mark 63 and BAG like this.
  2. This is the truth!

3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    All this talk of repayment in lieu of basses is unrealistic at best.

If he owes 25 basses at a ballpark of $2500 then he is in the hole $62k.

The only way to get anywhere near that would be 25% in parts and the remainder in labor/margins.

I merely don’t believe he will build the basses, but I am about certain he isn’t going to pony up 62 large ever.

Ikkir, Novarocker and Reedt2000 like this.
  4. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    What we have is an extremely talented builder with atrocious business and customer skills. Not a first for a small musical-instrument business.

-Asdfgh- and Reedt2000 like this.
  5. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    He is an unapologetic, habitual thief and liar looking for a fresh batch of people to take advantage of. Nothing more. 15-20 years down the road Zeller will be no more and he will rebrand again.

Ikkir, Runnerman, pcake and 1 other person like this.
  6. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

15-20? reallly? he'll be a geezer by then-- no-one will be playing actual stringed instruments---

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It draws attention to someone who is trying to get away with criminal actions. If the only people who ever complained were the ones who didn’t receive their instruments from him, a lot more people would probably be in the same boat right now.

DrMole, Clark W, Pendulous and 5 others like this.
  8. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Maybe, but I would say that it serves more for people to feel sympathetic towards him. This is mostly due to the fact that the means and verbiage these people have used is so foolish that it makes them look as bad as he does... except that he clearly has a talent as opposed to the people who are attacking him behind fake names.

9. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Talent isnt what is being questioned. It’s the felonious behavior. Period. Full stop. End of story.

DrMole, ajkula66 and Pendulous like this.
  10. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    There are quite a few people building basses and stuff that are poor with business and terrible communicators, but they aren't necessarily bad people. DH is not a good person by any measure.

sleddogn likes this.
  11. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    True, and also not a first for a small musical-instrument business. Some pickup and cab builders as well as luthiers come to mind.

12. And his talent means what at this point? Talent alone means nothing. It's what you do with it that matters.

Clark W and JLY like this.
  13. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    Imagine how much his life must suck, and for nearly 2 decades. Literally and figuratively crazy.....

Apolicious likes this.
  14. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I'm gues
    I have went to microwave some and by the time I got back Huff was banned.

Nashrakh, Reedt2000 and nbsipics like this.
  15. tradernick

tradernick Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2008
    We're doomed.

DrMole and bound'n'blocked like this.
  16. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    tenor.

17. The Robman

The Robman

Jun 15, 2017
    There was a period about 5 or 10 years back when people did just that, they were very kind and sympathetic to this idiot, and guess what, it produced not one single bass for the folks waiting.

DrMole, Apolicious and EddiePlaysBass like this.
  18. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I pondered a while back about whether this weighed on him or not. Does he stay awake at night which thoughts of broken promises and unpaid debts? Are his brief moments of joy and merriment interrupted when he remembers what he's done and his happiness washes away like it was never there? I don't know the man but based on screen shots of his face book posts and his recent contributions here, assuming that was him, I suspect he's a happy guy without a trouble in the world.

19. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he means that Darrin's deaf blind and dumb followers will see the nasty messages he gets and feel sorry for him.

Novarocker and mdogs like this.
  20. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Say hello to Noddy for me.

Gunga Din, Fuzzbass and The Robman like this.