1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses / Zeller Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. The Robman

The Robman

Jun 15, 2017
    So here it is, Merry Xmas, your bass is almost done!

2. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Yes, this is exactly what I meant.

CatchaCuda likes this.
  3. It's ironic how busy this thread has been since he posted, it just pushes it farther up the Google search results.

Novarocker and Fuzzbass like this.
  4. The Robman

The Robman

Jun 15, 2017
    I wonder if Oscar Prat is jealous? lol

5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    While we are boosting SEO, we shouldn’t miss this one.

Zeller Guitars

6. Which is a good thing. If it helps one person avoid being ripped off then it's worth a bit of time reading and replying occasionally. Just before Darrin popped in I was wondering if the words Zeller Guitars had been mentioned enough to appear high up on a Google search. Add it turns out this thread was the first result from Google.

Edit.... just did a search of Zeller Guitars on a browser I don't normally use and this thread was down at 5th. I don't know how Google results work but im pretty sure if we mention Zeller Guitars a bit more we can get it higher up.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Novarocker and ICM like this.
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

This is why I rarely object to the drive-by posters.

CTBassGuy, Clark W and ICM like this.
  8. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I think most of us passer bys see the thread and think there is hope someone is about to get a bass. How many were ever completed? I know Zeller Guitars and Darrin Huff completed the one...was the Icelandic bass the first?

Sam Dingle likes this.
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

The Icelandic bass (still in Canada) was the first scroll bass to go to a wait-lister in years. Way way back in this thread, someone (Charles Farley?) had a scorecard of Darrin's production ranging from something like 2006 to 2015. I believe the count of scroll basses going to wait-listers was one per year, give or take a fraction.

There were at least three mystery scroll basses that were sold (either by him or by proxy) to the public: a "demo" bass was sold on eBay, then there was a "personal bass" that no one was aware of and had never been on any of his websites. Then there was one that he said was "built for someone who cancelled his order and was refunded his money". Which is a load of BS, because he shut down me and every other wait-lister I know who demanded cancellations and refunds. His response was always "sorry, I have no money for refunds, but I will fulfill my obligation and build you a bass by the end of the year".

My roughest ballpark is that he has delivered 10 out of 30 Huff bass orders. By his recent admission, about 20 are still outstanding.

10. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Honestly, I cruise this thread simply hoping to see some good news. I have no dog in the fight, but, seeing what has happened to you fellow bass players makes me want to wring a neck.

Ikkir, Pbassmanca, Goatrope and 3 others like this.
  11. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    Something smells fishy about this, too.

DrMole and ICM like this.
  12. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Just trying to do my part:
    Zeller Guitars, Darrin Huff Basses

Novarocker, BAG, Pendulous and 2 others like this.
  13. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Fender & Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA.
    Hoping this doesn’t violate the rules, though if so I apologize but it’s too good (though mostly just sad) not to share.

I’m completely unaffiliated with THIS but just stumbled across it.

roogbass, Novarocker, Plake and 32 others like this.
  14. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    OMFG! That would be effing hilarious if someone hadn't actually gotten screwed. You win the web today!

JeroB666 and rogerbmiller like this.
  15. Everyone that is owed a bass by Darrin should do this. Brilliant.

ICM and Clark W like this.
  16. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    At the going rate I might try selling the Darrin Huff bass I don't have!

17. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That's hilarious. The cord is everything. Just the rug wouldn't have worked.

18. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    Fantastic.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  19. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Nice find, thank you for sharing... :thumbsup:

Novarocker and Pbassmanca like this.
  20. rogerbmiller