1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses / Zeller Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Sigurd

Sigurd

Oct 27, 2004
    I'm a P-bass guy, but that really is a gorgeous instrument. I have nothing else to add here, other than I'm sorry that this story has turned out the way it has for you folks that have a lot of money tied up in it.

Fuzzbass and Rob Martinez like this.
  2. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018

Fuzzbass, Garret Graves and Duder like this.
  3. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Ah, did Paul Simon use a Huff bass as a way to ensure silence?

4. Valsmere

Valsmere Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2018
    southern NJ
    It could have been "Disturbed", sorry I couldn't resist

5. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Don't know who Joel McClellan is. But he wins the Internet, until DH sees his post on the Zeller Guitars FB page.
    It's been up a week though.
    DH must be too busy in his shop working on instruments to have noticed. :rolleyes:
    _deliver.

6. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    OUCH!!!

Fuzzbass and cataract like this.
  7. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    That is amazing!

8. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

I hope Howard did not make those pickups on a PO deal and actually got paid!

Fuzzbass and Duder like this.
  9. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    For his sake I hope he got paid up front too.

10. Moreau

Moreau

Jan 3, 2006
    Canada
    This is tragic.

My heart goes out to everyone, including those with mental issues. While it's not an excuse to go out and commit crimes, for some people it's such an affliction that when the pressure is on, doing something as simple as deciding what to eat can seem monumental.

That said, sometimes being victim to a scam like this turns someone off ever wanting to put that kind of faith in another person ever again... And in that case, everyone loses.

11. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Heck it turns off others too. Bass guitars, cabs, pickups... There are several threads about scammers here. Then add to that, I've seen it in the skydiving community as well where a brand new rig can run you 7 to 8 grand. And I've been a victim of a scamming show promoter myself. As much as a I want a unique, one of a kind, boutique bass, I'm to the point I doubt I will ever pull the trigger on one.

I have discovered this year that I can bring a $65, 34 year old, worn out Epiphone P style bass back to life. I've learned about working on nuts, frets, tuners, bridges, installing electronics, setting up intonation and action, and now my #1 player is a 34 year old bass that I have a total investment in of only $248 bucks. It's a unique bass in and of itself in that I not only have very little money in it, but my time and work too. And it plays and sounds better than my 2018 Ibby SR400.

So for now used basses, or very cheap new ones, are my thing. Someday I would like to have a boutique built. I have a beautiful, IMO, design for one. But who knows, I may end up going to Warmoth and doing it myself, and not for cheap there either. Just the neck I want is almost 600 bucks, and 300 for the body, and there's still tuners, bridge, and pups to add. But after joining TalkBass, it's going to take a lot of convincing to get me to hand over a complete stranger a nice chunk of money to wait on something 6 months, 10 months, some cases a year, or in the the case of DH, never.

The damage DH has done is definitely beyond just his victims. Future buyers, current luthiers who build custom orders, the bass community as a whole, takes a hit whenever someone like a Huff, Pratt, Schwab, or Serio among others, comes along and proceeds to rip people off.

12. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Very well put.

Fishheadjoe, bobunit and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  13. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    FYI, Darrin is posting about how much longer it takes to finish the new Zeller guitars because he needs to fabricate every nut, bolt, and screw from scratch...

I guess he’s never heard the phrase “the perfect is the enemy of the good”...

14. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    I remember when I first used that line about bridges -- he felt compelled to make his own bridges, apparently because other bridges weren't worthy. He obviously doesn't "need" to do any of that.

Adam Wright and Sam Dingle like this.
  15. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I remember talking about how batching the guitars with his method was worse previously (custom making every single individual part by himself). I stand by it.

One guitar takes him a month to make--if I'm generous. Batching 12 guitars takes him a year to make. So basically he has to work for free for a year or rip people off. I understand his choices now.

16. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Here we go again. See ya'll in another 12 years

ICM, Fuzzbass and EddiePlaysBass like this.
  17. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    I gather orders were taken.... 203E60EC-E0AF-444B-8D85-4EA56B639281.

18. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Amazing.

19. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    And deposits collected...

Pendulous likes this.
  20. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    And an unknown number of disappointment/rage countdown timers were started...

Novarocker, J_Bass, ajkula66 and 3 others like this.