1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses / Zeller Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    The bad thing is that guitar is totally my style (shape and scale length). The good thing is I know better because of this thread. Thanks, guys!

2. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Actually might have begun, again, last November. He supposedly had two batches of bodies that were already spoken for. Have yet to see anything about them being finished. And if you back up to June there was the buy a tshirt get a chance to win a guitar contest. Either the winner, who was named, is a fictitious person, or they are now waiting like everyone else. No word about that guitar at all.

3. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    This guy belongs in Christmas Land!!!!

4. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    D2AA3129-8488-4C4F-BD84-B87634908622. Okay, this is a bit much. Darrin is prepping some hollow body basses based on the Zeller guitar. I don’t understand this endgame in relation to the outstanding basses owed TB members as such. If he’s got time and access to materials then he should be pushing out what he owes. Shame on me for thinking otherwise...

5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    At least there won’t be any neckdive.

He’d have to build them for there to be neckdive.

feschyn, jackn1202, Nashrakh and 18 others like this.
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Ha. The Zeller hollowbody bass has exactly nothing to do with the outstanding Huff basses. It's well outside of Darrin's original promise re Zeller: to paraphrase, "I will only sell a small batch of Zeller guitars to fund my living expenses which will allow me to work full time as a luth which will speed the delivery of all the overdue Huff basses".

I was annoyed when I first saw this TB post, but then I checked his FB streams (again, I'm not a regular Facebooker). I promised not to divulge the nature of Darrin's updates to his private Instruments In Progress group, but I don't think he'd mind me saying that there has been some movement* towards the overdue basses.

*Significant movement? That's a judgment call and I won't go there. Let's just say that I wouldn't have mentioned it if it was a nothingburger.

Anyway: thank you for the post, which reminded me to check in on him.

7. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars

Well played Sir... :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Sorry, Huff's still an ass.

Moonshine :bassist:

charlie monroe likes this.
  8. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    There's no profit in this life in making something he's already been paid for.

ajkula66 and Fuzzbass like this.
  9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, when the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves, when your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then your bass will be delivered, and not before.

feschyn, nbsipics, ajkula66 and 12 others like this.
  10. 4sight

4sight Supporting Member

I admire your optimism.

11. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Well it does appear that he's making some progress. The time management isn't great, but at least he's not regressing...at least not openly.

Pretty cool hb design. Too bad I would never buy one unless it was already made.

12. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Bahahaha

nbsipics likes this.
  13. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    "Hollow like a 335"... except that it isn't, there are no sound holes, which is going to completely change the way the body resonates. Sorry, but this guy is a furniture maker, not a luthier.

14. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    IDK. He’s pretty talented. Just won’t get his $#!+ together.

15. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Well, I know you just want any opportunity to jump on his case, but it seems pretty clear what he meant by "hollow like a 335." And you can call him a furniture maker all you want, but Rick Turner was also a furniture maker at one time, no one questions his talent. One thing that has been a constant through this thread, the guy has a lot of talent, he just needs to figure out how to make it work.

jackn1202 and moonshinegtrs like this.
  16. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Ned Steinberger started out as a furniture maker prior to designing the NS bass for Stuart Spector.

17. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    But Ned Steinberger and Rick Turner actually delivered instruments to people who paid them money.

This Huff fellow is a pathological thief: decades, not years, of stiffing people, yet he always has some new hustle going on, to keep people strung along.

rocmonster likes this.
  18. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    G-Plan made Mosquito bombers in WW2, so being a furniture maker is no impediment to, well, anything. OK, no one has made a wooden rocket and fired it to the moon... yet.

DrMole and ajkula66 like this.
  19. Trabeen

Trabeen Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Idaho
    These “look how busy I am” pictures always seem so staged to me. Draw something on a big piece of paper or put some chalk lines on a hunk of wood, surround it with random hand tools and some calipers and a green plastic template and a few little bits of metal, throw a Zeller Guitars sticker in there somewhere, and offer up an inspirational quote about the future. Look into “Elio Motors” for an automotive parallel.

BadJazz, flojob, Tim Schnautz and 5 others like this.
  20. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    The TV remote is the only tool in that photo that's getting any use!