1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses / Zeller Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

That really is a gorgeous and exceptional bass guitar.....

Kristjankisi and Fuzzbass like this.
  2. Pbassmanca

Hmmmm.....got me thinking about ordering one. What's the average build time for a Huff bass?

:D

3. I have a great suggestion. Why not buy my bass that is already on order and cut into the queue? My bass was at least half built when I paid for it (had a body glued and shaped and a neck without a fretboard already pieced together), so i imagine it will only be a matter of a few weeks before it is done. I'll give you a good deal

4. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    That made me laugh.

Kristjankisi and Pbassmanca like this.
  5. The Robman

The Robman

Jun 15, 2017
    Would this be a gift for your grand-children to give to their grand-children? If so, this might work.

6. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    In dog years?

7. It’s truly a once in a lifetime opportunity!

8. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    Who’s the lucky duck? 75AECD4A-402C-4FE9-A185-B4A2CDF92C38.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  9. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Pretty sure that's an old pic

Pbassmanca, Kristjankisi and Fuzzbass like this.
  10. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    That’s what I thought, I remember a reverb or eBay listing photo with a clock tower in the back ground, yet there were build pictures on the FB site that alluded to a 4 string build in progress. I guess we’ll have to wait and see...

Pbassmanca likes this.
  11. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    Darn. I promised myself I'd ignore this thread for a few months. I lasted from July 15th until now...

@Kristjankisi Your bass looks fantastic, glad you lucked out in this mess.

Hoping Huff gets some more delivered soon.

12. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Pbassmanca, James Collins and scuzzy like this.
  13. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    The background of that photo is Riverfront Park in Spokane. The area around that tower is under heavy construction right now. Dead giveaway for a dated photo.

14. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    I was there today. Lots of chain link fences and cordoned off areas.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  15. Have not been active on TB for a long time and like many have been following this epically tragic unfolding of events for about a decade. Was hopefully optimistic with the delivery of the "Iceland" bass that things, understanding the paltry and glacial pace, was turning some corner. And now the deceptively thin FB post of a "new" bass being completed. I'm just continually crushed for all involved and sorry for what those on the waitlist go through.
    Perfectionism can be paralyzing and in this case with DH, pathologically so and combined with what I think are delusions of grandeur about being a world-renown luthier (accomplished but for all the wrong reasons. I guess infamous would be the better description at this point), the stress of hand-to-mouth living, and unrealistic expectations about the luthiery business as well as himself and what it actually requires to be successful and can yield for those who practice it (by no stretch an easy business at any level and certainly not for a one-person shop). This I think contributes to his continued deceptive practices and self-destructive behavior digging himself even deeper.
    What's obvious here is that there are no easy answers to be had as flat out antagonism nor a modicum of understanding shown by the wait-listers have resulted in any behavioral change of significance on DH's part.
    I can offer no useful advice and solution here other than wishing everyone a peaceful if not altogether satisfying resolution to this mess.

JLY, Novarocker, dryheatbob and 5 others like this.
  16. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    not sure what you said, you with or gen us? lol

Pbassmanca likes this.
  17. Pbassmanca

tenor.

BadJazz, nbsipics and marko138 like this.
  18. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    To be fair, I don't think the intent of the picture was to imply that another bass had been completed... rather it seems like it was just a nice picture to include with the "inspirational quote". And the "mission accomplished" seems to me like he's saying that he's found a profession that lets him enjoy all days, not just the weekends.

19. That's true, but I think like many who saw the post and read the "mission accomplished" made it easy to jump to that conclusion. There is willful ignorance and hubris on DH's part at play here because I can't imagine anyone who has an eight thousand pound gorilla of incomplete bass orders on his back really enjoying any of his days much less the weekends. I don't want to get too much into this ongoing 15-20 year fray but I see a pretty damaged person (DH) who has unrealistically high ambitions (the assumed wealth and recognition that custom basses, "hi-end" yo-yos would bring) not recognizing until too late after taking the money the extremely low margins of error involved to pull those projects off (yep, even yo-yos with the vibration issues and remember the "scrapwood" photos of what looked like complete basses covered in dust). The custom bass designs are fashioned in the CT mold and the degree of difficulty involved will mean, by its very nature, a pretty low output. CNC can only help up to a point and even that is prone to error which means a lot of sweat and toil will still go down the toilet. The celebration of past and not new work in the FB post only points to the paralysis that comes with each custom bass order which is fraught with potential error and restarts.
    What is frustrating here is that DH views himself as a good person not fully recognizing the challenges of what he is trying to accomplish. And out of that ignorance he did something criminal not once but repeatedly. The freedom that he purports to have found in the FB post can't be further from the truth. He is burdening his life not truly owning up to the damage he has wrought and the pattern of destructive behavior both to himself and others will surely continue with the Zeller Guitars venture.

20. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    @Kristjankisi I am glad that you have your bass and that it is indeed wonderful.