1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses / Zeller Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    'Mission accomplished'?? Have I missed the building and completion of the backlogged basses? If not, that's an....odd statement for DH to post.

2. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Condidering everything that comes from this guy, it's not odd at all. :sour:

3. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Completely agree...

rocmonster and Fuzzbass like this.
  4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Giving rise to the term to “leave in a Huff”

nbsipics likes this.
  5. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    I seriously doubt it's affected his sleep, stress levels, or quality of life. After 20 years it's probably no more than an occasional thorn in his side that is probably more like a small splinter.

6. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    ^ That small splinter is probably causing an infection. That infection is potential Huff customers finding this thread with a quick google search.

Becoming a respected luthier and making a living from it has got to be incredibly tough as is. I can't imagine that someone with a history like Darrin's could possibly see any success at all. Finishing the scroll basses would be rewarding for both parties.

I'm like a broken record, I hope he chooses to turn this situation around.

Novarocker and Fuzzbass like this.
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Best estimate is roughly 20 scroll basses to be completed. The pictures that Kristjan posted illustrate the enormous hill that has to be climbed to get these done. Not all orders were as fancy as Kristjan's, but they are all far more complicated than standard production instruments.

I believe he wants get 'em done*, but he understands better than any of us how much work will be involved for relatively little financial payoff. He does seem to realize that another payoff will be the restoration of his reputation, which will have indirect financial benefit, so I hope this will provide him with the necessary motivation to climb that hill.

*Still my opinion; we can agree to disagree

8. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    Opiates are good that way.

9. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Someone in Arizona owns these two.

Screenshot_20190906-153506.

10. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I was surfing around the internet and saw some cool guitars. The builder's name sounded familiar, but I couldn't quite place it. A quick google search gave this link and reminded me to "avoid at all costs". So, even thought y'all are probably screwed forever, this thread has merit in prevented additional screwing.

11. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Who on earth managed to get two of them? Heck there's maybe what... 4 or 5 in existence, possibly 6? Between Talkbass, Reverb, and a Reverb type of website for South America, I have seen a total of 3. One in the states, one in Brazil, and the one that finally made it to Iceland.

12. Fuzzbass

I think there are at least a dozen in the wild. There were 4 or 5 in his website gallery before I ordered, then afterward another 7 or 8 or more were completed. Maybe more. For awhile someone in the thread was keeping a running scorecard of basses completed per year.

13. Fuzzbass

I remembered the TBer's name. I think this is his most recent post (January 2014). I believe others have updated this scorecard since then, but I don't have time to search.

Not all of those basses are scroll basses, so they won't count toward the scroll total. And also some of those basses (such as the one sold on eBay) were sold outside of the waiting list, which didn't reduce his backlog.

There hasn't been a lot of output between 2013 and now, but I still think there are about a dozen scrolls out in the wild.

Pendulous likes this.
  14. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    I hear ya. Way too many pages to go through. Thanks for posting what you can remember.

15. Sue Egypt

Sue Egypt

Apr 19, 2019
    Cleveland, OH
    No offense but that top wood looks like a flesh pizza.

16. Mmmm, pizza bass. :drool:

If it is not delivered in time, is it free? :whistle:

Duder likes this.
  17. Fuzzbass

Wow, that's a blast from the past. I was going to ping "mbulmer" but he no longer comes up in the user list.

18. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    Maybe he's an Andrew WK fan?
    [​IMG]

19. mr. zero

mr. zero

Sep 21, 2001
    Lansdale, PA
    Well, I know I did. In fact I've owned at least four of them over the years. Here are a couple I had...

DSC00243.JPG

20. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Honestly, it looks like this is more like a can opener than a scroll on those two.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 10:47 PM
    PMagers likes this.