1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses / Zeller Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    Odd indeed. And just think, if you order a Ritter, you get a genuine work of art, and you can actually take possession of it, too, after you pay for it.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Gunga Din and HELLonWHEELS like this.
  2. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I can see the similarity, and honestly I don't really prefer either (to each his own), but the Huff is a can opener and the Ritter looks like a pincher of some kind. For comparison,

Ritter:
    okon01.

Can opener:
    military-opener.

Huff:
    IMAG0472.

3. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    So did you get those from DH himself or buy them second hand? If you got them from DH, what did you do differently that got you what you paid for, from those who are still waiting on basses?

4. mr. zero

mr. zero

Sep 21, 2001
    Lansdale, PA
    The six string Claypool tribute he listed on eBay back in early 2001, I believe. We got to chatting, because I was an actual adult asking him questions about the bass, compared to all of the teenage Primus fanboys who were pestering him with $500 bids. He then agreed to build me a true, five string scroll bass to my specs. It took a little longer than expected, and he "gifted" me the five string fretless as make up for the delay.

Pendulous and cataract like this.
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

To give credit where due, Carl Thompson did the "can opener" style before Huff or Ritter. Darrin was obviously influenced by CT, and as mr. zero said he made CT tribute basses (can opener style). Then Darrin went to scroll designs: ball and carved.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spidey2112 and Reedt2000 like this.
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Stop playing hard to get. Here's more, you know you want it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ShortyGetLow

ShortyGetLow Banned

Aug 6, 2019

Where do I send my deposit? Can I just pay in full?

BlueTalon and Sam Dingle like this.
  8. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    I would only send half, paying in full won't speed things up any.

9. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I think the carves on the horns that end in a true spiral look neat. Not my cup of tea though. Same goes for the nipple by the bottom strap lock. The scroll design is much better than the can opener though.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  10. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    It's also funny as a coffee table lover, some pieces just aren't for me. Generally, I feel that way about Foderas, BC Rich, and Alembics too. As best I can tell a Huff is just as appealing as those. For me it's like too much was done so it no longer looks like a tree and it looks like an expensive cigar humidifier.

That's why we have so much choice in the world for each of us.

Edit: I think I realize what it is missing, the top is too flat and uniform.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    bound'n'blocked likes this.
  11. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    There's no denying his skill and craftsmanship, but they don't do anything for me either except for this one. If it were to come up for sale, I had the money, and DH didn't have the rep that he does now, I'd be all over it.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    EddiePlaysBass and James Collins like this.
  12. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    That fretboard is absolutely stunning.

JeroB666, nbsipics, cataract and 2 others like this.
  13. Darrin, your dad is a close friend of my close friend Dave.

My son Ethan got to hear me play bass recently at my niece's wedding.. His old man did something cool that everyone enjoyed.

My son is very creative, does a wonderful job of mowing my lawn, and just might enjoy being your employee (and vice versa) Please let me know, this could be a win win win - or at least worth a shot...

nbsipics and cataract like this.
  14. Do you still have either of these ?

15. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    That made me laugh.

16. mr. zero

mr. zero

Sep 21, 2001
    Lansdale, PA
    No, unfortunately. The six ended up going to some C or D-list celebrity that had contacted Darrin, who put him in touch with me, and he ended up buying it from me for about twice what I paid for it. Off the top of my head, I cannot remember where the five string went.

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  17. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    Has anybody ever recorded a demo of one of Darrin's basses? I'd like to hear someone playing one.

18. shakey_slim

shakey_slim

Jan 3, 2001
    Spokanistan
    I have the 5 string fretless, and the bolt-on P-bass

19. Eneade

Eneade

Jun 14, 2008
    France
    I have seen several progress pics of the scroll basses on Darrin's personnal facebook last week.
    I hope these are not old pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    Silly mistake, he made one of those backwards ;)

I hope they're recent progress pics!

Tim Schnautz and Fuzzbass like this.