1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses / Zeller Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I think I've seen pictures of 10-15 bodies, but I don't believe he's finished that many.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    I think, from what I can see pictures of, there are 8 completed guitars.

Pbassmanca and Fuzzbass like this.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

To get you caught up: this thread originally referred only to Huff Basses which he's been building (extremely slowly) since around 2000-ish. Zeller Guitars was launched within the last 2 years. Why? From his side, here's the main reason: it eventually became obvious even to him that he couldn't deliver highly-carved, highly-customized basses within a reasonable timeframe. OTOH, as you said, the Zeller guitars are all similar and much easier to produce.

The concern for those on the waiting list was that he would abandon the overdue basses in favor of the guitars, but Darrin continues to state that he will fulfill all bass orders that he's owed to customers, some waiting 16-17 years or more. These basses have been paid for at least 50% up front -- so, the financial return on these instruments, many of which haven't even been started yet, is not enough to pay his rent. His idea was that the guitars would be both quicker to build and more profitable, which would allow him to work full time as a luthier and simultaneously completing guitars and overdue basses. That's how the plan would work in theory. Reality is that there's been very little progress on the basses. The one he completed last year and went to Iceland by way of Canada had been in a near-complete state for years.

pcake and slowburnaz like this.
  4. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Yup... and my concern, as a wait-lister, is probably pretty obvious: how much time is making cool little string winders going to take away from bass building? The dude already complains about not having enough time in the shop, how can these things, at $25 a pop, possibly help things, bass-wise?

Darrin needs to cut the poopie, stop with all the carrot-dangling, and finish some friggin basses.

DrMole, Pendulous, Pbassmanca and 7 others like this.
  5. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Silver lining, you cannot take time away from something that you spend no time doing already.

6. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    To those waiting I doubt that's very silver...

:smug:

Pbassmanca and Ryan L. like this.
  7. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    None. It is taking zero time away from bass building.

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  8. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I think we have started a new cycle.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  9. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ

Dude, we get it...

Wait a second, are you sure you're not actually one of Darrin's inner demons?

10. Mark 63

Mark 63 Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Connecticut
  11. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    No, its not.

Fuzzbass likes this.