1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses / Zeller Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    No light. No tunnel. Just a bottomless hole. No basses for those he robbed. Not now. Not ever.

Tim Schnautz, BAG and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  2. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Did you pick your username just to post in this thread :roflmao::laugh::woot::smug:?

3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Hand Job String Winders

4. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    Dewey, Cheatham, & Howe

Pbassmanca, Oddly, Snaxster and 6 others like this.
  5. Ophiothrix

Ophiothrix

Aug 4, 2016
    Glasgow
    Good grief, I come in for my bi-yearly check of this thread, and not only has he still not delivered an instrument, he's making boutique string winders instead.

You couldn't make this stuff up. I feel like I'm now exploring new and exciting levels of incredulity that I did not previously believe possible.

Pbassmanca, Sam Dingle, Oddly and 7 others like this.
  6. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    So much time, so little bass...

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 3.46.48 PM.png

Pbassmanca, Sam Dingle, pcake and 3 others like this.
  7. Pickup? Maybe someone who's owed a bass could order one of these things and go to... enquire how things are going.

Pbassmanca, Broke, Oddly and 3 others like this.
  8. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Well that's good news. Why would you make a Facebook post reminding people to pay their orders? Why would you build a bunch of winders for customers that hadn't paid yet?

The only logical answer I have is...trying to get a couple people to pay for the same thing.

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  9. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    ELoI has a new album coming out. It was supposed to drop last year but got delayed. It'll be out in December for sure...just not sure what year

Garret Graves likes this.
  10. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    What, there’s 33 or so winders there — how much income could be derived from that? Super business plan there.

11. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    As long as we're doing photo analysis, I note that the tuner wrench heads and the handles don't have the same wood/color distribution. There are 4 really dark heads but no really dark handles. There are 4 ivory colored handles but no ivory colored heads. All the completed examples show uniform construction, but I guess he'd been within his rights to just slap random pairs together and call them designer winders.

Novarocker and Garret Graves like this.
  12. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Sanding and oiling the first batch of winders...

He should have been using that time on sanding and oiling a bass neck.

pcake and Novarocker like this.
  13. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    ...or some yo-yos.

14. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Incredulous Incredulity...what a great name for a band...

Clark W and EddiePlaysBass like this.
  15. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    General question here:
    Suppose Darren actually finishes some basses; Would you even want it at this point? Do you think after all this time he's going to put the love and detail into an instrument to have it be something worth owning?
    Would you proudly go on stage with something bearing his name?

16. mr. zero

mr. zero

Sep 21, 2001
    Lansdale, PA
    I believe that's a variation on a bass clef symbol, to make it look like a "D". :)

Fuzzbass likes this.
  17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I've been back and forth. Never say never, but at this point I don't expect to get my bass, so if I did it would be a windfall of sorts, so I guess I'd be happy about it. I'd play it, and there would definitely be a story to tell when asked. A very long story.

P.S. One certainty I have about Darrin Huff is that he's a perfectionist. That's part of the problem.

EddiePlaysBass and Sam Dingle like this.
  18. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Please don't insult us perfectionists :eek:
    Yes we can be a pain to deal with, but he's something totally else. I just haven't figured out what yet.

Oh, and perfectionists usually don't play the "woe is me" card, we're too busy being perfectionists. He's too busy "not" working on basses and making every excuse in the world for it. Like now, now he's making string winders instead of working on basses. In the time it's taken him to make all the string winders he finally posted pics of the other day I bet he could have gotten at least one neck done. But he chose to make winders instead.

I can't tell you how many times I have started something just to start over on it, but the point is, I was working on it the whole time until it was finished. He's too busy doing whatever it is he does, but it's not working on basses, obviously.

I tell you what his biggest problem is. He doesn't want to work and make basses that aren't going to make him any money because he got that money a long time ago and that money is gone. He sure had no problem making a guitar or two or three this last year, why? Because they weren't paid for and he could sell them to put money in his pocket.

If you gave him the needed materials and components and said here, "Make me a bass with this, I'll give you 3 grand when you're done and not a penny sooner." I bet it would be finished in 6 months or less. In the meantime he would still not be working on basses that are already paid for.

That's the problem, he doesn't want to work on stuff owed because it doesn't do a thing for his wallet in the here and now. To him it's like working for free. And even though he's the one that created that mess to begin with, he's not going to do it. He will make every excuse in the world to put it to the side and say he'll get to it while he continues to find ways to keep money in his pocket. He even did it with 20 - 40 dollar yo yos. Doesn't matter what he makes. If he gets the money before it's made and he doesn't finish it before the money for it runs out, he's going to move on to something else. He's been doing it for two decades now.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Obviously perfectionism isn't his biggest problem. I said that it's part of the problem, when addressing the question of whether he might half-ass the overdue basses (paraphrasing).

Clark W likes this.
  20. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    I am convinced that Huff builds what he wants to build and when he has satiated his urge to build whatever the current thing is, he moves on to something else that satisfies his itch. Now that he’s gotten those guitars out of his system, he’s moved on to string winders. He most likely won’t return to guitars and most assuredly won’t return to making basses. It’s not about money or time regarding past orders. It’s his need to selfishly satisfy himself. Building the Zeller guitars proves this.

I would imagine one would have to force him to finish basses like Jesse Pinkman was forced to make meth at the end of Breaking Bad.

EddiePlaysBass and Gunga Din like this.