1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses / Zeller Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. rzamites

rzamites Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2020
    Michigan
    My sincerest and most heartfelt condolences. Being a mentally ill person, I understand a bit of what he must have been feeling, though every human being copes with that pain in different ways. Please reach out if you ever want to talk, I might not have answers, but will always be there to listen.

2. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    That's one of the things that makes me shake my head. I don't even want to think how many people out there do this, especially those who decide to make a living from it.

So sorry for your loss, my condolences. Hope all the best for you and your family. Such a similar story as one of my closest friends, though heroin's grip was what took it to the inevitable end.

I think your assessment is where I'm at, not necessarily a conman in traditional sense, but really he seems to be conning himself into thinking he can start over and do things the same way but be successful this time.

It seems to be the same for all his business endeavors. Not just rob peter to pay Paul, but to never change the process to slowly dig out of the hole. I think there's two aspects to the problem. One is likely living beyond the means to have the funds to find finishing past due orders, the other a combination of crippling perfectionism, lack of motivation (somehow) and overwhelming workload.

I'm sure this notion has been presented here before, but meh I was compelled for some reason.

Granted, I'm a perpetual optimist and it could very well just be laziness and conman mentality.

Kristjankisi and Fuzzbass like this.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

We can speculate all day long about whether Darrin's a con artist or dealing with an emotional handicap. No one can know for sure. My hunch is that he is not playing some bizarre four-dimensional con game, but I can understand why some believe that he is.

I got over my anger a long time ago because it's unhealthy and counterproductive. I just look at the bottom line: 17 years of missed deadlines and no bass for me, roughly the same for 20 others, and scant few overdue orders fulfilled over the past decade.

Darrin's an amazing craftsman and I'd actually be happy to finally get my scroll bass... but while I don't think he's a con, that doesn't make me an optimist. That would be utterly illogical, based on his bottom line. Never say never, but I doubt I'll see my bass. As I've told him personally, negativity must be expected under these circumstances, and it's up to him to prove the naysayers wrong.

4. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Brother, you’re an inspiration. I follow this thread mostly to hear from you. Peace.

5. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    I dubbed him "Saint Fuzzbass" awhile back. He's definitely more forgiving about it than I would ever be.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  6. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    Thank you. I'll definitely keep you in mind on that offer to talk about it. I just really can't right now. It happened on May 14th. But with the Covid mess we had him cremated and are actually having a small, private memorial in 8 days.

7. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    I think it started out that way. It's easy to take on too much and be overwhelmed by it all.

Thank you for the condolences, and sorry for the loss of your friend. I have a life long friend with the same problem. But there's nothing anyone can really do about it. They have to take it on themselves to want to do better, not an easy thing to do when something like that has it's grips on you.

Novarocker and Fuzzbass like this.
  8. Fuzzbass

For some reason I'm getting less cranky in my old age. And actually, there are a few less talkative wait-listers who are not as outraged as they could be under the circumstances, so props to them too.

9. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Alabama
    I hear ya, in some ways I'm mellowing as well in my 2nd half a century. But in other ways I'm more cranky about some stuff. It just really depends on what it is. I'm not the "get off my lawn" guy yet though :laugh:

rzamites and Fuzzbass like this.
  10. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Totally right, if anything I'm glad this thread is here and keeps going strong. To keep this from being forgotten.

Great inspiration, the peace you and all the others who have found it over this is impressive.

I agree, I try think the old "don't subscribe evil to what can be explained by negligence" or something like that.

Sorry to hear man, I hope they are able to beat the grip. The hurt of "if I had only done more," has been dulling but still hurts more than the loss. I take solace in having spent the time with him and for the better man I am because of him.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  11. The Robman

The Robman

Jun 15, 2017
    Are you talking about Jerry Rosa from Rosa String Works? I know you're from KY and he's in MO, but maybe you're by the border. I watch his videos on YouTube, he's an incredible craftsman.

12. No, Gary Cotten of Cotten Guitars.

BnB

13. This thread always brings me back. Remember when he built a guitar for his friend to play on the tonight show?

I notice THAT situation gets glossed over a lot

14. Fuzzbass

Darrin has connections, I'll give him that. You're referring to a bolt-on bass that he built for Gabe Nelson of Cake. Gabe played it when Cake performed on Letterman Live.

Darrin also built a purple EB-style bass for Mike Watt, which I believe was pictured on the first dhuffguitars website back in the early 00's. Of course that was well before Darrin owed a bunch of people a bunch of basses. The Cake bass was well after.

EddiePlaysBass and RudyTardy like this.
  15. That's the one. Probably one of the most outrageous plot twists in this soap opera in my opinion

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  16. Fuzzbass

We worried that Darrin was going to run with that bolt-on line before completing the scroll backorders. That didn't happen, but years later he did launch his Zeller guitars, which is ongoing from ~2018.

17. Worried, yes, but if that meant he actually produced a bass I can have in my hands, I would take a bolt on (or a Zeller guitar, or anything tangible).

18. mr. zero

mr. zero

Sep 21, 2001
    Lansdale, PA
    Here's the purple one.

purplplower1.jpg

Pbassmanca, RudyTardy and Fuzzbass like this.
  19. Fuzzbass

Some of us recall when Darrin said that each of us with an overdue order would receive a bolt-on bass in addition to our scroll bass, as compensation for the long wait. Many things come to mind, but I'll leave them unsaid. ;)

kesslari, Robus, Kristjankisi and 6 others like this.
  20. Fuzzbass

Cool. That's it: the "purple plower". Googled it and found a thread here on TB, with comments from Mr. Watt himself.
    dhuff guitars