1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses / Zeller Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. That is one of my favorites. people come in here sometimes like they're gonna crack this case wide open.
    we get the court suggestions
    the go kick his ass suggestions
    every once and a while a shill comes in to defend him
    and every time we get reminded of this beauty of a thread, and I say that with all due respect to his victims

2. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn Trying to find the elusive Brown Note

Jul 29, 2017
    Virginia
    I originally found the thread in late 2006 as I was considering a Huff bass.

Glad I did.

I did ask about suing at one point, mostly because it had been years since I saw the thread and had no idea what was going on, or the time to read through the thread.

I think it's almost a reflex now for people to ask about lawsuits given how long this has persisted. That doesn't make those posts any less annoying, mine included.

I just hope others don't fall for the scam.

While it's of little consequence, just want you to know that this thread saved me a lot of money.

DrMole, S-Bigbottom, Duder and 2 others like this.
  3. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    The thing is to keep the thread current and top of the searches so no one else gets scammed. Let the newbies be newbies. If they can't read the first and last 4 pages, then let's roast them:woot:

Garret Graves likes this.
  4. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! Supporting Member

Oh man! It hurts my heart this still is an ongoing saga.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  5. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    That is it's purpose, so it's of significant consequence.

6. Oh I don't fault ANYONE for saying it. I just find it amusing, slightly. Now the ones that go on to lose their mind because the victims say "nah we arent doing that for this reason or that" those make me mad.

7. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Which is why it's good when new people join the thread.... even when they make suggestions before reading any of the previous posts. After 15 years I don't think there will be a suggestion that hasn't already been posted and considered, but keeping the thread alive will keep it at the top of google searches and hopefully help save another person from paying a deposit, or worse, paying fully up front, for a bass or guitar they will most likely never see.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    shojii, DrMole, Fishheadjoe and 2 others like this.
  8. Fitz

Fitz

Oct 20, 2009
    I’m new to this thread. A FAQ in the original post covering common questions that newbies like me have would be helpful and save the old heads from getting a headache from hearing the same things a million times. We really can’t expect anyone to read the whole thread at this point.

9. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    That's why I watch this thread and throw in the occasional useless comment...help keep Huff from finding more victims.

Bob_D, redstrand and Novarocker like this.
  10. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Is he advertising, or in other ways actually taking orders for new basses?

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Not that anyone's aware of, however over the years Darrin has occasionally sold scroll basses outside of the waiting list -- a "demo bass" on eBay is just one of a few examples. He has apparently taken orders for his Zeller guitars, even though he claimed he would sell finished product only. He also revealed that a Zeller bass was in the works -- it wouldn't be a scroll bass, but it's yet one more thing for him to work on that has nothing to do with the overdue orders.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    DwaynieAD and Reedt2000 like this.
  12. Fuzzbass

That's a good idea. The mods said they'd be happy to update the OP with a FAQ, but I never got around to it. Perhaps I could cobble out a draft and post it here for review.

Duder, Haans, Pendulous and 13 others like this.
  13. Clark W

Clark W Just Say No To Tort! Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Oh yeah I looked into it, and I would have been crossing state lines to get it all taken care of it. In the end it just wasn't worth it and the guy did end up in Federal Prison for white collar crimes anyway, along with his son too. So there's that, if it's any solace to know that my tax dollars are now helping them to 3 hots and a cot.

14. not to mention the changing of the name from DHuff to Zeller.. and the bass that went to his friend to play on the tonight show or whatever. and the yoyos. and wasnt their pen turning at one point?

DrMole and BlueTalon like this.
  15. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    String winders. :sour:

DrMole and BlueTalon like this.
  16. oh crap i'm gonna order two, my kids can use them fresh and brand new when I give them my basses when I die

J_Bass, DrMole and Snaxster like this.
  17. Fuzzbass

Ok, here is a VERY rough draft, short and sweet. I don't want to write an encyclopedia, so I tried to emphasize the 'F' in F.A.Q. I also noted a couple things (dates) I wasn't sure of. And yeah, as I was going through it, I couldn't resist a bit of snark which I'll try to eliminate from the final version for objectivity's sake. Suggestions and corrections welcome!

-------------
    Q: How long have you been waiting?
    A: Many (most?) of us ordered in the early 00's. A number of TBers ordered in 2003, and possibly 2002.

Q: How many are owed basses?
    A: In 2018 (???), Darrin said he wanted to complete 10 scroll basses prior to bringing his new Zeller guitar line to Summer NAMM. He said those 10 basses would be half the backlog, so that implies a total of 20, give or take

Q: How much money was required up front?
    A: Darrin required 50% deposit via postal money order, the amount ranging from $1000 to $2000 or more depending on build specs. Some put the remaining 50% down when Darrin claimed that our build was nearly complete, but he needed emergency funds Because Reasons

Q: Why haven't you sued his ass?
    A: Legal action has been discussed at length numerous times in the thread. In short: can't get blood from a stone; he has no real assets to garnish. Most agree that the time and expense required to pursue an uncertain legal outcome and unlikely financial reimbursement would count as throwing good money after bad

Q: Why haven't you whooped his ass?
    A: Because we aren't children

Q: What's his build history?
    A: (Full history TBA) The most recent bass that went to someone on the waiting list was completed in 2018. It's worth noting that the recipient said that it had been in a near-complete state for years prior to that

Q: What's Darrin's excuse?
    A: There have been countless short-term excuses over the years, ranging from family issues to job losses to health problems. His overall explanation is that he grossly underestimated the level of effort required to deliver dozens of boutique instruments: all orders were essentially unique in that customers could specify a wide range of electronics and woods, along with options for "racing stripes", full "rainbow" builds, scale length, number of strings, string spacing, etc

Q: What's the deal with Zeller Guitars?
    A: Darrin has constantly struggled to pay bills. Also, see "overall explanation" in the previous answer. Because of these factors, Darrin created Zeller guitars back in 2017 (???) as a way to generate income. The Zeller guitars are standardized and therefore much easier to produce than the highly laminated, carved, and customized Huff scroll basses. Darrin's logic was that income from Zeller guitars would be enough to allow him to work full time as a luthier, thus providing him with the time to concurrently complete the overdue Huff basses. Working on Huff basses alone would not be sufficient to pay the bills because he's already received 50 to 100% up front: playing catch-up amounts to a ton of work for very little financial reward

Q: It's been close to two decades now. Why couldn't he have completed overdue basses on evenings and weekends while working full time to pay the rent?
    A: BTFOM ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

18. electricGstring

electricGstring Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2021
    Atlanta Ga
    POTY (post of the year) front runner right here!! Well done, my man!

Nuage420, cataract and oddentity like this.
  19. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    Seems worthy of a repost at this point:

Huff.jpg

mikew31, Fuzzbass, cataract and 3 others like this.
  20. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    This part has to stay in as is and should be in bold and underlined. Very well put. :laugh:

Novarocker, cataract, BadJazz and 4 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021