1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses / Zeller Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I don't th
    I don't think that is why no one ever sued him. I think the reason is most people assume they are never going to get a bass from him. They aren't afraid of pissing him off, they just know that he isn't ever going to deliver. They assume they will not be able to get any money either, or if they can it will be less than the legal fees.

If it's worth it to you to sue him, why don't you start a legal fund for these people to pay their legal fees? Then they can sue him for your satisfaction. I think most would agree your money would be better spent just giving it to the wait listed people.

Also, he can just file bankruptcy and you are screwed anyway. Happened to me with some custom furniture I ordered. My saving grace was having paid with a credit card which basically meant my purchase was insured.

2. Aras

Aras

Jun 19, 2015
    Russia, Moscow
    Omg, i mean ppl can't sue him for fraud? I don't know the laws in US, but his actions are what everybody can call a crime. Why not to go to police, write a collective statement on this person and let the fraud department deal with him. They will collect evidence, take the case to court and force the person to reimburse all the money, plus a fine. This is how it is done in Russia, at least. And even if he will start a bankruptcy thing, court still will judge him for a fraud crime

3. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Why not read the thread, folks have explained this ad nauseum

Ikkir, Gunga Din and DrMole like this.
  4. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    This thread is quite exciting actually and it is worth reading the entire 231 pages. Think of it as a more relative version The Curse of Oak Island series playing out in real time. Rick and Marty believe something is hidden on the island. Various "experts" provide theories and stories that never really pan out but they continue to search. Very similar to here where people provide legal advice that will never pan out but the purchasers continue to have hope. And I hope that one day they will be made whole.

Lackey, eldoryder and Fuzzbass like this.
  5. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    I never said "finish" :)

6. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    :(

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Closed for moderator review.

arbiterusa, Joshua, Fuzzbass and 4 others like this.
  8. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Reopening. More or less deleted the last couple of pages.

9. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    Missed those pages but I am sure they will have been chaff. It does look like he's making progress on some scrolls, though. That has to be a good thing

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  10. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Where is this progress you speak of?

He had an Instagram post a few weeks ago saying that the scroll basses would be finished "in the next 33 or so days". Unless he's keeping progress pics or whatever to himself, I've seen (and heard) nothing from him.

EDIT: Actually, that's not entirely true. I did post a reply on that IG post asking "Are we were gonna see any?", to which he replied "Yup." My reply and his have since been deleted.

Last edited: May 8, 2021 at 3:47 PM
    Fuzzbass and EddiePlaysBass like this.
  11. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    Just being the Devil's Advocate. I saw those Insta pix and, I must admit, I thought he was making an effort. Perhaps something more will come of that? The 'last of' might just be another example of the control he exhibits. Putting that aside, those posts show more productivity than has been seen in some time. He CAN do it!

12. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I hope you're right...

13. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Well, 5/15 is coming up again!

Fuzzbass likes this.
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

The caption on the IG post on 4/12 was "Old photo, but you are going to see a lot of these scrolls in the next 33 or so days...."

Nothing wrong with being devil's advocate, though. I think we all want him to get them done, and prove the naysayers wrong.

Mark 63, Gunga Din and Reedt2000 like this.
  15. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    So, let's say he does complete your build, if you've only put a deposit on it, do you pay the balance despite more than a decade of waiting? If he asked you to pay more (after delivery or proof of completion) in order to finish, would you?

Fuzzbass likes this.
  16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Ya know, I haven't even thought about that -- and that's because I was one of those dumb enough to give him the remaining 50% before my bass was ready (see below). But let's say I still owed him that 50%: if he showed me pics of a fully-completed bass that matched my specs and the progress pics he'd been showing me, then yes, I'd pay him. Easy for me to say; maybe others will weigh in. Great question.

Backstory of my remaining 50%: I ordered in April 2003, and in November of that year, Darrin was allegedly getting ready to complete a number of builds, mine included, by the end of the year. My build spec was a single MM-style pickup, and we were talking about our mutual love of Music Man basses, and I mentioned that I had a well-played and well-worn 1983 Music Man Cutlass I (Stingray with graphite neck; Cutlass II was Sabre with graphite neck) that I hadn't touched in years because I'd switched to 5-string. He said he'd love to add that to his collection and restore it, so we mutually agreed that I'd send it to him as the remaining 50%, given that he promised that my bass "will definitely be done in December".

12BitSlab and Reedt2000 like this.
  17. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    I note the bold comment, Fuzz.

18. Clark W

Clark W Just Say No To Tort! Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Not until it was in my hands... But thankfully I'm not one of those in such a position to have to make that decision. And if DH stays true to form, which the last 20 years says he will, those who did put down a deposit won't be making that decision either. So it's really a moot point. But it is an interesting point to ponder. One could only hope that your question will have to be answered one day, sooner rather than later.

Last edited: May 9, 2021 at 12:03 PM
    EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021