WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses / Zeller Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Some time later when I was demanding a refund, he refused, saying he was too broke. I said "okay, send me back the Cutlass", and he said he'd sold it to pay bills.

2. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    I still believe that we can appeal to the man's innate nature (correction) to make good his commitments. We've seen the bodies, so come on, Darrin........just get them finished, lad.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    Novarocker, mdogs and JLY like this.
  3. Mark 63

Mark 63 Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Connecticut
    His Instagram is now private.

4. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart

May 16, 2021
    It’s also changed name to huff.guitars, unless I’m imagining it. I’m sure it was zeller.guitars before though.

I wonder if the 4 basses that were due for completion this month are ready to ship, they were going to be revealed during the week of 10th May but predictably that never happened.

5. BlueShox

BlueShox Registered Turtle

Jul 14, 2007
    West Columbia, SC
    Something new to work on.

Attached Files:

J_Bass likes this.
  6. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    You'll know where he'll be and when... Maybe the people that run that bar need a link to this thread.

Aweiss96 likes this.
  7. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    A thread from another forum, with similar looking builds and a similar story of yet another builder run amok-
    Some posts from the thread below- Absolutely not meant to excuse the actions of the builder in this thread, more to illustrate how, if there may have been existing mental health issues in play, added complications might impel one to resist such and just do the preferred work, until that becomes untenable and one either stops cold or makes yo-yos.

[​IMG] PUCNKzl.jpg
    Magic Wand Guitars - New build Thread.

"Because they don't teach business practices and skills at luthier school?

I can't tell you how many small businesses (dance and martial arts studios, restaurants, jewelry, et al) I've seen go under due to the person running it not realizing the majority of one's time is taken up with business-y tasks, not the thing they love to do. Many simply do not rise to the challenge."

"Someone earlier posted how reasonable his prices were and that’s a problem and a clue as to what’s to come as these guys don’t understand operations and business costs. They chronically under price themselves and this is what often happens. Forget about insurances, startup costs, EPA regs, state regs, taxes, utilities etc etc etc. Theyre often behind right from the beginning of operations and don’t know it. They need a constant cash infusion to keep it going until it levels off and starts to make a profit. That’s usually when the health and family issues nonsense starts and the customer gets ripped off."

Again, I am definitely not trying to excuse or accept the actions of Mr Huff, but, I found it interesting, and somewhat telling as to an apparently common pattern of actions to be aware of from some builders.
    Please excuse me if inappropriate. ;)

8. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! Supporting Member

There's also, Marc Serio (DR Bass)
    David Raven Moon (SGD)
    Zon (recently)
    Reed James pickups
    And more.
    They are all eerily similar in the rise, then fall. Killer product, great communication. Early success.
    Then emotional, mental, drug, gambling, or whatever turns them essentially grifters.

9. Aweiss96

Aweiss96

Dec 1, 2014
    What happened with Zon recently? They're the biggest name on that list, AFAIK.

wraub and EddiePlaysBass like this.
  10. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    This isn't the first time I've heard about Zon being problematic. A friend of mine and long-time Zon user had such a tough time he cancelled his last build and now plays vintage Fenders.

11. /\/\3phist0

Fuzzbass likes this.
  12. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    A friend of mine who owns several Zons and knows Joe on some personal level has been battling with them for many years to complete an order. If memory serves I believe it's been something like 7 years for him and they finally just sent him a photo of the body in the spray booth getting a finish put on it. 7 years is nothing like what Darrin Huff has put people through, but it's a shame to see from such a reputable brand like Zon.

/\/\3phist0, DrMole and WG Plum like this.
  13. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    I think your friend and mine are the person.

14. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Now that I see your location I'm almost certain of it.

WG Plum likes this.
  15. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggbassplayer.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    Now he wants to sell new scroll basses
    10A06E3A-5675-47B2-9A78-46E49DFAAECF.jpeg

16. /\/\3phist0

Great sales pitch .:bawl::poop:

gwangi, EddiePlaysBass and Katoosie like this.
  17. Katoosie

Katoosie

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    I don't know, if it was me dealing with a builder who takes decades to finish an instrument... Wait, I wouldn't.

No matter if it's
    this guy or some other, reputable brand. It's one thing to take years to complete a build plus deliver and a completely another thing to take decades and have random builds completed/not completed/doing NAMM build etc.

Doesn't seem professional at all, no thank you.

18. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    I've noticed that a lot of his posts allude to "starting to plan [action]" in some form or another.

I think that's the dead ringer for his paralysis. Not to say planning isn't important, but I think he's built enough to know the plan and it shouldn't take a day, let alone a week or more to create.

I've seen this before when something is planned out to the T, but then scoured over again and again as if something's missing.

19. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    It’s deja vu all over again. Another year another pile of bs. You say this every year Darrin.

BadJazz and Katoosie like this.
  20. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Glue ups. Be ready to pay by August. Well, August of 2050. Maybe.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021