WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses / Zeller Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. WillyWonka

WillyWonka My roadworn is in mint condition Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    The 4005 Rickenbackers are set to arrive by the fall…

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Well, let's see. In early spring Darrin said all backorders would be completed by mid-August, along with some additional basses that were "unspoken for". He provided a timeline indicating the first batch of backorders would be completed by May 15 "or so". He also said that those interested in the "unspoken for" basses should contact him, but be aware that premium prices would be charged.

It's now June 11th. Zero backorders have been completed, and there's zero evidence he's made the slightest progress on any. If I were a suspicious person, I would conclude that he was only really interested in advertising the "unspoken fors". Sure, he promised that the those would not be sold until all backorders were completed, but over the past two decades he's made countless promises which have failed to come through. And he's previously sold a number of "unspoken for" scrolls -- "demos" and whatnot. Funny how those were also completed before backorders.

But hey, maybe this time will be different than all those other times. Ya never know.

3. Yes you do;)

4. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I have zero skin in this game but I follow the thread simply because I have never known, or heard of, any individual who lies more than this guy. It’s not that he is not keeping his promises, or that he over-commits … he is the biggest liar I have ever come across. God bless all of y’all …

5. Katoosie

Katoosie

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    There are just a few things in life you can be absolutely sure of:
    1 Death
    2 Taxes
    3 Darin running away with your deposit

6. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart

May 16, 2021
    Confirmation on instagram yesterday that Darrin is currently working on the scroll basses and has outsourced the building of the bridge plates, seems like positive progress to me.

It would be incredible for the people waiting to see completed scroll basses finally coming through after all these years of nothing.

7. Kaffebaggel

Kaffebaggel

Jan 9, 2020
    upload_2021-6-15_15-55-53.png

8. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart

May 16, 2021
    Thank you, I can’t access Instagram on my tablet so couldn’t copy the picture over.

Kaffebaggel likes this.
  9. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    It appears it's a recycled pic of the bass that went to Iceland, not a new one.

10. Kaffebaggel

Kaffebaggel

Jan 9, 2020
    No problem :)
    Anyone know if it's a re-used photo or a new one? If it's a new bridge logic dictates it's a new photo but you never know...

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

See post just above: it's the Iceland bass that shipped out back in 2018. I believe that was the only bass to go to a wait-lister in the past 5 years.

12. Pics or it didn't happen doesn't seem to apply here...:(

EddiePlaysBass, Trabeen and J_Bass like this.
  13. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    That could have been the way forward. Just outsource the whole build.

Snaxster and oddentity like this.
  14. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Then stiff the contract manufacturers?

Snaxster, Reedt2000 and gln1955 like this.
  15. What do you know I think I managed to recreate Darrin’s pic ….sorta EE742C0D-CE71-46F4-B8F1-8CB8D27DF54A.jpeg

16. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I thought that went without saying. ;)

Reedt2000 likes this.
  17. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart

May 16, 2021
    As I kind of said before, the fact we only ever see ancient pictures of finished basses is strange, although we do also sometimes see tools. What we never see is wood, wiring, uninstalled pickups, tuners, nuts being carved and fitted, finger boards being clamped and glued, none of the ‘usual’ stuff we expect to see on builders pages. Maybe all the scroll basses will materialise all at once in their finished form.

DrMole, Novarocker, Haans and 3 others like this.
  18. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    That might have better odds :cautious:

DrMole, oddentity and Katoosie like this.
  19. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    One cannot deny what amazing workmanship is visible in that photo. Even the bridge is sexy!

Fuzzbass likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021