WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses / Zeller Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I've been playing bass twice that long and... Oh :(

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Yes: the video posted in this thread that's now set to private is the one where he got the response from 10S. I don't know the status of the original video.

3. Aweiss96

Aweiss96

Dec 1, 2014
    Looks like the original is still up there last i saw. Interesting, I wonder what happened. In the response video, apparently 10S asked him to remove the original. Guess we will see, though obviously its only slightly relevant here.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  4. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    It just showed up in my youtube feed, so it's definitely still up.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I'm not sure how helpful it would be to point that guy here. I suppose it would be another channel for publicity, but OTOH the guy might say "20 year waits? I don't believe there's any mystery here for me to investigate". :D

Clark W, B.C., Sid Fang and 5 others like this.
  6. Clem Lushness

Clem Lushness

May 30, 2017
    Australia
    He eventually gave 10s the benefit of the doubt over the unpaid pickups and lack of communication, maybe he got more info as the original vid is still up but not the response.

7. Katoosie

Katoosie

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    DH and 10s?
    Is this some kind of Marvel universe plot Im not seeing?

Are you kidding me

8. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    I haven't watched much of his stuff, but he's made multiple unsubstantiated (many controversial) claims and conclusions on multiple music/youtube personalities. I've often ended up seeing bits of his videos (from the victims rebuttal video) or watching the whole thing that way. Rob Chapman was the subject of one of his controversial clips, I think it was him claiming Chapman was stealing money or something. It's been years since I've watched it.

Eitherway, this video kinda reconfirms my feelings on him. Yes he's digging for the truth, but he seems to put opinion out there and extrapolate reasons without having the full story. Lots of speculation but I'm sure ends up dragging some peoples names through the mud.

Now I've never checked out his channel, so maybe it's full of quality investigative reporting. But, just the demeanor in the videos I've seen is enough for me to be very hesitant to have him represent a semi sensitive situation.

BlueTalon likes this.
  9. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    As kind of a follow-up, I just watched a couple more videos. Similar to my previous thoughts. I do however appreciate that he does try to update as information comes out, but still speculates on that as well. It's good to see that he appears to be trying to correct himself and collect the whole truth.

It still gets me a little though. Correcting yourself after making potentially damaging claims, does not offset speculation stirring the pitchfork mentality of the masses. That's essentially click bait 101 that he's pulling.

Clark W, B.C., Snaxster and 1 other person like this.
  10. Eneade

Eneade

Jun 14, 2008
    France
    Lots of posts about the new CNC machine on Instagram.

This is the latest :
    Screenshot_20210725-211344_Instagram.jpg

Garret Graves likes this.
  11. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    I hope he realizes that his first CNC pieces will probably be throw-aways…

Gunga Din likes this.
  12. Clark W

Clark W Just Say No To Tort! Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    If they turn out like that drawing with the "step ups" in neck width, they're firewood at that point and winter for him is about 3 months away.

Gunga Din likes this.
  13. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    I hope he realizes that the CNC doesn’t make finished basses.

14. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    I have no idea how he expects to deal with that. Yes, it would be possible to cut it that way, then rework it to remove the stairsteps, but it would be damned difficult to get right and take more time than he’d have saved by using the tool. One hopes that he figures this out before destroying too much nice wood. A CNC machine should be capable of tapered cuts - he just has to figure out how to program them.

Gunga Din, Fuzzbass and Garret Graves like this.
  15. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Especially on his scroll basses, CNC does the easy part.

Fuzzbass and Novarocker like this.
  16. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    To spin a different light on this, especially with the CNC, he has proven an excellent example of how not to run a small operation. Hopefully in the not too distant future I hope to get a bass/guitar company off the ground, nothing like these scroll basses, but among other things, he's cemented that I will not take money prior to building. In fact I plan to limit "customization" to color and only sell what's been built, after its been built...

He truly has been an excellent example, unfortunately in all the wrong ways.

17. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I think the "steps" are just due to his display settings for rendering in whatever program he's using. I mean, even the circles are stepped.

BlueTalon, Sid Fang, Fuzzbass and 2 others like this.
  18. Eneade

Eneade

Jun 14, 2008
    France
    I think the steps are only a display issue

Screenshot_20210726-093157_Instagram.jpg

Novarocker and Fuzzbass like this.
  19. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Maybe he's using Autocad release 12 for DOS with a screen resolution of 640 x 480. Back in the day "stair steps" in drawings was normal and only showed up on the screen. But in this day and age there's no excuse for it.

Gunga Din likes this.
  20. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Looks like he's got the CNC part down. Now if he can just get the part "how to complete an order" down, he'll be good to go. He's only had 20 years to hone his skills.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021