1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Well, my only confidence is in the build quality of the instruments that he manages to complete. It would be nice to get my instrument, but after 15 years it's not logical to be optimistic. Never say never, though. I wish him good luck and whatever else he needs to get them all done.

2. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014
    this was posted on his facebook page today
    so, there's that...

3. Modest_Moose

Modest_Moose

Dec 26, 2014
    Washington
    I just don't get it... 15 years? I'd be pissed

Pbassmanca likes this.
  4. Fuzzbass

The writer was surprised that his phone number was posted publicly. Aside from that -- I suppose it's good that Darrin is encouraging those on the wait list to share their experiences. The writer is hoping that Darrin will contact him, also.

Garret Graves likes this.
  5. Pet Politics

Pet Politics My real name is Michael, but how exciting is that? Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Burbank, CA
    Screenshot_2018-06-14-11-14-00.

I've been following this thread for nearly as long as I've been a member here, and this is the first time I'm hearing about a bass being shipped. Is this a Wait Lister's bass?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  6. Ophiothrix

Ophiothrix

Aug 4, 2016
    Glasgow
    Good grief, that looks almost finished!

Time to start booking the hotel for that skiing holiday in hell...

Rugmaster and lesclaypoolsob like this.
  7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    He’s shipping an Icelander’s bass to Canada? I’m assuming that arrangements were made, but that seems like yet another shady business move. Is the buyer then responsible for shipping from Canada to Iceland?

Also, lamenting about shipping costs, regardless of the amount, on a bass that is potentially/conceivably many years overdue is the exemplification of petty.

8. Fuzzbass

Yes. Not mine, unfortunately!

I suspect the wait-lister doesn't want to comment until they actually receive the bass. I don't have any inside info, but it's how I'd feel.

smperry and MattB88 like this.
  9. Modest_Moose

Modest_Moose

Dec 26, 2014
    Washington
    Everything about these basses and this thread seem sketchy. I personally would've demanded my money back years ago. Has anyone ever gotten a bass?

10. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    ^^^^^For some reason, I can’t get a quote to work from the above post.

But, you really should do at least a little homework before you post such an inane comment as this!!

cataract, FullTime Tim and Stevorebob like this.
  11. Modest_Moose

Modest_Moose

Dec 26, 2014
    Washington
    Me? I'm sorry I just wouldn't wait 12 years for an instrument regardless. I could see 2 maybe 3 years but 12? I'm sorry just in my opinion is crazy. Please don't tell me my comment is inane. I'm not trying to be rude here. Just understanding

12. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    No one intended to wait 12 years, and people have tried to get their money back. This has been explained multiple times in the thread, as we understand it's not possible to read through 100 pages.

cataract, Pbassmanca, ICM and 2 others like this.
  13. Modest_Moose

Modest_Moose

Dec 26, 2014
    Washington
    Thank you for explaining a little more. I've seen that he possibly has some depression. Issues? I tried reading through the thread bit a lot of the more recent are about how long everyone's been waiting.

14. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Read. The. Thread.

cataract likes this.
  15. Modest_Moose

Modest_Moose

Dec 26, 2014
    Washington
    It's 100 pages... why is it so hard to ask for someone to give a shortened explanation? No reason for everyone to be so hostile

wmhill likes this.
  16. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    It’s been given. Over and over. And, honestly, why jump straight to conclusions when you just wanted a “shortened explanation”?

FullTime Tim likes this.
  17. Modest_Moose

Modest_Moose

Dec 26, 2014
    Washington
    Short. Sentances. With. Each. Word. Ending. With. A. Period. Comes. Across. As. Hostile.

That's not really jumping to a conclusion. I asked what was going on and thought one person would at least explain it quick. Someone was generally kind enough to do so. Again it's 100 pages. I'm sure it's been asked 100 times. Maybe this thread should be started a new with a full explanation at the start so it's not this 100 page deal where everyone gets all annoyed when another person asks what's up. Maybe even put a huge notice saying to read the first post. Or continue getting annoyed at ever new comer asking what's going on.

wmhill, Rudyboy98, ruju and 2 others like this.
  18. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

I'm assuming it cost thousands of dollars when it was originally purchased. Does it really cost that much to ship a box to Iceland? Anyways, at the risk of sounding redundant given what we know about DH, does it really matter what the shipping cost is when you've screwed customers over for more than a decade? I guess for him it does. What a Gong Show. I have to say though, that's a pretty high res picture and the detail on that bass looks absolutely gorgeous. I sure hope that Darren Huff can get squared up with everyone and then begin operating his business on the same level that he operates building his basses, because from the look of things, they are top shelf!

19. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I'm not trying to come across as hostile, nor do I think other people are, but the, I'll say snippy-ness, is coming from re-explaining in the thread multiple times (which is not your fault of course). But sorry as I get that's the feeling you're getting

The purpose of this thread at this point is basically:

1) to support the TB members that long ago (15 years plus) thought that they would receive a bass and ordered one, and have lost a lot money (and probably sleep, faith in people, opportunities to buy other boutique basses at y2k prices etc...). Again, ordered a long time ago.

and

2) to serve as a warning to people not to place an order.

Based on the long history of this thread, and the harm people have already suffered, people (myself included) have little patience for people coming in here saying "Man, it's crazy to wait twelve years for a bass." Not that it's your intent, but it's insulting at this point. I don't think anyone put money down and thought they'd be waiting like this.

Regarding the mental health question, I won't comment, as I don't know what's true firsthand, and even if I did, I wouldn't want my personal opinion to be seen as reflecting that of TalkBass. But mostly, it's not really helpful to people that have lost money.

Peace,
    smp

Basiroti, 12BitSlab, roogbass and 3 others like this.
  20. Hi all, that would be my bass. And yes I have waited over 15 years for it (so yes it is indeed a wait lister bass).
    Regarding the shipping, that is on my suggestion. Something happened over new years which took shipping from WA from 400 to 900usd. My friend, who I consider family, lives in Canada. Shipping the bass to his house in Canada costs 124usd and shipping from Canada to my house costs 240cad. So shipping the bass to a person that I trust with my children and then onwards is quite alright in my book.