1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

JLY, "level-headed and patient" comes from having written the bass off, as seventhson did. On top of that, it would be both unhealthy and unproductive to stay stressed out/angry for years on end. Note that I wouldn't call my attitude sanguine -- it's more like "never say never".

Oh... good point about storage space: I happen to be running low, so I may let one of my basses go should the Huff arrive. I'll ping you first if the odd man out is a Sadowsky, but there's not exactly any urgency just yet. :)

Pbassmanca, JLY and scuzzy like this.
  2. Harper

Harper

Nov 10, 2001
    Factual statement: I've been married to three different women since this thread was started.

3. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    pics or it didn't happen!

4. Harper

Harper

Nov 10, 2001
    :p

Naw, don't want to go through the trouble of doing the "Dirty Deeds" style black bars over the lucky(?) ladies eyes.....but it's a true statement.

seventhson, Fuzzbass and Pbassmanca like this.
  5. Fuzzbass

You got me. One divorce, moved twice.

I don't even want to think about all the basses I've bought and sold in the past 15+ years. I currently own nine -- and all were purchased after I ordered the Huff bass.

Edit: just remembered I've worked for 5 different companies in that time! But the 3 ln-betweeners were short term contracts so it's really only 2 jobs.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  6. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    You've put as many ex's on the market as Huff has basses.

7. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ

ZzzzIIINNNGGG

Harper and Pbassmanca like this.
  8. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Lol!

Harper and Pbassmanca like this.
  9. Trabeen

Trabeen Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Idaho
    If I recall correctly June 23 (this weekend) was the day that the "Hand Deliver 15 Basses" road trip to Tennessee was to kick off, please update the thread with your reviews once you have had some time to bond with your new instrument.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Pendulous, Farseer and Pbassmanca like this.
  10. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Seriously doubt that's gonna happen... I think the road trip was only happening because he was going to NAMM, but it seems that's off now.

Fuzzbass and Pbassmanca like this.
  11. Fuzzbass

Exactly. Because the backordered basses (10 of them, anyway) would not be done in time for NAMM as Darrin promised, Darrin announced that he would not be going to NAMM with his "Zeller" guitars. The bass delivery road trip would only have happened if there were completed basses to deliver.

Some of us were concerned that the NAMM trip would happen whether the basses were done or not. So -- credit to Darrin for putting his promise ahead of the NAMM trip.

Pbassmanca and Garret Graves like this.
  12. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    It looks like Darrin is doing some kind of progress from what I see on his Facebook page, has any other of the people on the wait list been contacted besides the person from Finland on progress of there instruments?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  13. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    About a month or month and a half ago he asked me to send him my custom pickups so he could start on making the covers for them. That's the last I've heard from him about progress on my bass.

I'm in this batch, I believe, as I ordered in January of 2003.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  14. Fuzzbass

I spoke to Darrin about a month and a half ago, same as slowburnaz. He confirmed I was in the first batch; he also said that he had decided to go with spruce-core necks. No word since, but he's still working on the batch of necks so there isn't any specific progress on mine to report.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  15. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Are you referring to @Kristjankisi who is from Iceland, or is there someone from Finland also in the mix?

Kristjankisi and Pbassmanca like this.
  16. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    OOPSY!!!! Iceland, Greenland, Finland sorry my screw-up, I meant the guy in Iceland.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  17. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Bummer. I was hoping more were close to heading out.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  18. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    So.... anyone get their bass yet? The ones in progress look great, curious if they’ll be pictures, sound samples, or reviews. All drama aside, the pics Darrell is posting on FB are gorgeous. Good luck to all.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  19. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    I find it incredible that this thread is active after 12 years. I saw Darrin had a post to his FB page yesterday.

36114265_1916060238461188_5768286441696133120_n.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  20. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Deleted a lot of off-topic stuff. Back to basses, or the lack of basses.

ICM, Fuzzbass, scuzzy and 3 others like this.