1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Ophiothrix

Ophiothrix

Aug 4, 2016
    Glasgow
    Hmm, you do wonder how long the basses in these 'progress' pictures have been in that condition for though...

That actually always struck me as odd about this whole situation, that so many basses seemed to remain in such comparatively advanced states of construction for so long. If he'd just taken a load of money from people, bought no materials and done no work whatsoever, it would have made so much more sense. It would have been considerably more criminal and outright malicious, but there would have been a very straightforward logic to it.

With the practically geological timeframes we're on to here, I feel that almost regardless of Darrin's circumstances, the path of least resistance would have been to just finish the cursed things and get them out of his life at some point in the last decade.

Imaginary Pony, nomaj and Pbassmanca like this.
  2. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    It is strange. It's also interesting that he doesn't seem to be willing to compromise in any way to get these out of the door quicker.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  3. rocmonster

rocmonster

Oct 31, 2011
    I would consider that a good thing as long as he gets them out the door soon as possible.

Pbassmanca and AltGrendel like this.
  4. For all the TB members that are waiting:

I sincerely hope that soon we’ll be able to “like” your post in the official “Show your Huff bass” club.

5. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Have any TB members actually recieved basses in recent years??

Pbassmanca likes this.
  6. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    Looks like Darrin is posting daily to FB.

35520590_1917439331656612_5068677475093970944_n.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  7. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    I read the updates from where I left off, and really hoped that 23 June would have seen some good news poated. Shame! Wonder if that one bass arrived in Canada yet...

Best of luck to all involved!

Pbassmanca and Fuzzbass like this.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

No. Not that I'm aware of.

On that note: two weeks ago Darrin said he was detailing Kristjan's bass in preparation for shipment. It still hasn't been shipped.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  9. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    A perfect summary of this fiasco.

10. Spieluhr

Spieluhr

Dec 4, 2017
    London, UK
    Or he might just reside in Utah....... ;)

11. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Here are more shots of the 6 string I picked up recently. I can't even fathom how you would go about doing that kind of wood work.

fullsizeoutput_124f_zpsyvjvfjvm.
    fullsizeoutput_124c_zps9nyizbbk.

nbsipics, Pbassmanca, Rojd and 2 others like this.
  12. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Lots of wood veneer sandwiches... very nice!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  13. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Man really nice instrument, your lucky!!!!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  14. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Looks great! Is this one of the coveted long awaited backordered instruments?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  15. Jumper-D 1981

Jumper-D 1981

Jan 22, 2017
    it is now to the point where Darrin loses his poopie on me anytime I talk to him. I am congenial, I have not bad mouthed him on here or belittled him. I state that my wife is due a bass she paid for over 14 years ago and that he keeps promising things but so far can't even give me a freaking update. He says things like "it will be done when it is done". I have an easier time getting timelines from complete strangers. Anyway. He basically told me he will no longer talk to me about this and will only deal with my wife. Even though, I have literally only asked for updates. The June 27th deadline and all the other deadlines was never me, it was Darrin. What I do not understand is why people who have ordered basses far more recently than my wife is getting updates and in a couple cases their basses. Come on...

All I want is to know that he is actually working on it. He is possessed about going to NAMM and doing motorcycle vacations...and I am no stranger about the need to do things to keep from burning out, but it seems to me that he could reimburse my wife the money, or have made some progress...whatever. I am starting to loose my composure about this. My next step will be contacting the Magistrate.

wmhill, BadJazz, nomaj and 5 others like this.
  16. russellh86

russellh86 Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2014
    Looks lovely, truly amazing really. But, how does it sound?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  17. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    I feel your frustration - 14 years!!!

Truly an odd situation, this, where a talented luthier's work becomes desirable by many, and he keeps taking people's money, all the while becoming more and more backed up to the point of futility.

18. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but how do ANY of you still have any faith at all in this guy after 14 years? This is almost a comedy at this point If I had given someone a lot of money 14 years ago to make a bass, I would have made him regret in some way not giving me my money back many years ago and the worst part is that he seems to be a pro at making people feel bad for bothering HIM, give me a break, this guy is a sociopath, take him to court, class action suit.

unbridled and wmhill like this.
  19. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    As has been said at least 100 or so times in this thread, read the thread before you come in here telling people what they should be doing!!

20. Well I actually just posted what I would have done and I'm not going to read that whole thread, if it's been said at least 100 times already then I guess most of you will be willing to wait another 14 so good luck.

unbridled and wmhill like this.