1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. IT'S ON!!! , let's just keep in mind that either it gets shipped to Iceland next week which would mean a two week wait for the unboxing or my friend will take a trip over here in a few weeks with the bass. Either way I'll keep you guys posted with updates on the timeline ;-)

Fuzzbass and HELLonWHEELS like this.
  2. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Very happy for you. My wife and I visited Iceland in March. Wonderful, friendly people in Iceland!

3. I thought it shipped already. Or did I misread?

Garret Graves likes this.
  4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    It shipped to @Kristjankisi 's friend in Canada who's then forwarding it on to Iceland.

5. Ah, ok! It HAS shipped. To Canada. And then will ship next week to Iceland. Got it! Thanks!

6. Best wishes. Sounds like it will be worth the wait can’t rush perfection. Can’t wait to see that unboxing video.

Kristjankisi likes this.
  7. I wish I could deliver it to you. I love Iceland and haven’t been in a while. That said, I’m not convinced that it’ll be a bass. It may be a giant jack in the box that pops out. Hehe

8. The Robman

The Robman

Jun 15, 2017
    Did the bass make it to Canada yet?

Rob Martinez likes this.
  9. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    The question is....did it make it to Iceland!!!!

Rob Martinez likes this.
  10. The Robman

The Robman

Jun 15, 2017
    Well, it has to get to Canada first, right? So if it arrives in Canada it would prove that Darrin actually shipped it, which hasn't been confirmed yet.

Garret Graves likes this.
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Kristjan's bass arrived in Canada earlier this month. Pretty sure it's OK for me to say that in this thread. I'm sure Kristjan will let us know once he has received it.

AltGrendel, cataract and scuzzy like this.
  12. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Is there a comprehensive list of missing basses, and has anyone on this thread received a bass yet? I log into the forum hoping for good news for y'all every time!

13. Fuzzbass

No comprehensive list outside of Darrin's shop. What we do know is that Darrin's original goal this year was to complete 10 backorders, which he said amounted to half the total (roughly half, I assume). I'm thinking that around a half-dozen active TalkBassers are in that list... but I'm not sure, I haven't kept score very well.

Kristjan will be the first wait-lister to receive a bass in quite a few years. I believe this thread contains some stats (years old) on orders delivered -- I should have bookmarked the posts, but didn't.

mellowinman likes this.
  14. Fuzzbass

Might as well post my own update. Darrin recently contacted me. He showed me a neck blank and asked if it was acceptable, because he was low on maple candidates for 35" scale. I told him that my scale preference had changed and I wanted 34" if possible. He thanked me, saying my order was the only 35" on his books, so changing to 34" would save him setup time for his jigs. I also told him that the neck blank in question would be fine with me.

We're also discussing body woods. Turns out that the pretty spalt/quilt maple top originally slated for my order would be difficult to carve as it's somewhat like a cork board. I've heard that's often true with spalted wood. Darrin said he might be able to fix it with a super glue bath, but I told him that I'd be open for a Plan B, and asked whether he had any non-spalted maple or myrtle burl. He said he did and would get back with me. I want lighter colored woods because I'd prefer my bass to be stained/dyed.

cataract, GHOST AT, El Spearo and 4 others like this.
  15. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Sick. Dude’s been famous here in the worst of ways but it seems he’s motivated and doing, which is great. Hope you get your bass soon, excited to see it happen.

16. Hi guys, the bass is yet in Iceland but it is with my friend in Canada do Darrin did his part and delivered it. Now we are looking at flights to Iceland since that’s a great excuse for him to make the trip and it’s actually more affordable.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  17. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    It has been an interesting journey to watch. While he is certainly not ever keeping the pace he states in advance, he Is clearly moving forward, and that is real and good news for those waiting.

I still think this story could have another ending. With him Eventually catching up with the backlog and managing the taking of future orders in a more organized and conservative fashion. The story Could end with him being thought of as a Great builder and important figure in luthier history. I still think it is possible. I wish I lived near him. If I did, I'd offer some biz guidance. From everything I read, he doesn't seem like a bad person. He seems like a genuinely good person who was challenged from the biz side.

If he stays at this another 10 years, it will be very interesting to see where things are about 2 years from now.

18. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    If he stays at it another 10 years, given his pace, he’ll just barely complete his orders from ten years ago.....

Robus, BadJazz, pcake and 4 others like this.
  19. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Gosh, any good news is, well, good news. The basses I’ve seen are gorgeous. On the bright side, these basses would now cost more than what y’all paid 12 years ago.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  20. The Robman

The Robman

Jun 15, 2017
    That is good news Kristjan, would you be ok with your Canadian friend posting pics of the bass, or did you want to save that honour for when the bass arrives in Iceland?

SBassman likes this.