1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

No worries, the bass is safely in Canada. The delay is due to logistical complications, nothing more (I can't provide details).

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. Ok cool good to hear.

3. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014
    this was posted two days ago;
    huff.PNG

although it's worth noting I've used the "I'm a horrible person" excuse several times to get out of messy situations. it's a way of reversing the moral high-ground.

I'm tempted to say "I don't know how he sleeps at night," but I'm pretty sure I do;
    well.

4. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Honestly? I wouldn’t have even known Huff and his instruments existed if it weren’t for this particular thread on Talkbass. His basses look extremely well made but I grew out of the pining for a Carl Thompson phase 20 years ago (YMMV.)

I guess it’s cool that he’s sharing a link to the madness but I don’t think any higher of him because of it.

Good on him for (maybe) pulling himself out of the muck but the fact that he seems so offended by people being aware and openly talking about his self wrought predicament is very strange and not very surprising to me.

That being said, I’m still hoping he pulls through for all involved.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Yes, throughout the past he's resented the "negativity", but I do feel that it's a positive move for him to own up to this thread.

On the FB page I've seen a lot more progress on guitars than basses, but as noted he promised my bass by the end of the year (along with other backorders I'm sure).... so, let's see what happens.

6. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    New post of FB, interesting...

7d52f857154f9025d0e43ff2d42a8a6e.

7. MattB88

MattB88 Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2016
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Alien Audio Basses, DR Strings, Warm Audio, Shaw Audio
    He’s making it sound like everyone here that’s been waiting on paid and partial paid orders for over a decade is the evil villain and he’s being persecuted. Wow. Best of luck to that cat. He needs it.

Axstar, Pbassmanca and EddiePlaysBass like this.
  8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    So while knowing that he owes many people many thousands of dollars of merchandise, he's chosen to quit his day job, make the things he owes people....but not for those people...but rather for new people, so he can make money to actually make the things for the people that are owed. Sounds about right.

9. I am sure that this self-created mess is on his mind 24x7, which is rather sad actually.

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    He's kept people's money without producing anything for it for more than a decade and has had no repercussions besides his damaged reputation? I think he sleeps like a baby.

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

For what it's worth, the bass left Canada via boat so it is expected to take 30+ days in transit. If you are expecting 30+, 60 isn't that unheard of. Shipping air takes about a week but it is four times the cost.

12. Maybe. I think he’s just keeping up appearances. I have a lot more respect for all the people waiting.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  13. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    Produced goods in a timely fashion is everything and communication is next up. If he'd been straight in a news letter to customers about stuff would have helped.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  14. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    This reminds me of the people on evil bay that set up the strictest auction demands. "Payment must be made immediately at auctions end, Must be paypal etc etc." So you comply and they have every excuse lined up on why your merchandise wasn't shipped out for a addditonal two weeks. LOL!

I had that happen when I ordered an amp head through the now defunct BNW several years ago. I met their every demand and when the head didn't show for 2 weeks I cvalled them up and thd casually told me that the guy in charge of shipping was gone on vacation for a couple weeks hahaha...."

I told the guy of my disappointment in that attitude. I wrote Evan a kind but firm email of my grievances. He offered an apology and he'd send me a "free T-Shirt"

"free t-shirt?"

Like, I really wan'ted to advertise for them?

Anyhow hey, I didn't mean to hijack the thread. and sorry if I did. I was just explaining that if if your going to demand a good partial or full payment up front, then one should deliver the services, 'up front'. that's all

EddiePlaysBass and Pbassmanca like this.
  15. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

So here's what you do when you're a screwball wanna be small business owner who has owed people fully paid for and undelivered products for more than 10 to 15 years, and who has an amazing set of skills, but who has huge personality issues and no business acumen: You keep your day job, or in this case your evening / night job so that you have a steady income coming in. Then, (and here's the real trick) ; in your off time from your job, you use your mornings or afternoons, or Saturdays and Sundays etc, over a period of a decade or more, to build the products that you've owed people for a ridiculous amount of time, and then you send them out one by one in order of who paid first, and you clear up your backlog. In doing this, not only do you somehow miraculously salvage your rightly brutalized reputation, but now, you are morally and ethically in the clear to start to produce new products in the way that you want to for all the wonderful and gracious people who have and who will order what you have to offer, knowing full well what a gong show you are capable of creating.......

16. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I don’t believe that to be the case. He’s admitted fault for not maintaining a schedule numerous times. He’s suffered through some tough personal stretches as well. Now he’s trying to make good on his commitments, and the evidence supports his good faith effort to do so. It’s been an unfortunate situation for everyone, but piling on and proclaiming what a horrible person he is at this point in time doesn’t really help move the needle in getting the basses built. The buyers have done their due diligence and have determined that there really isn’t a viable legal remedy, so under the circumstances he’s basically executing the best case scenario for people with open orders. Regardless of how you feel about him, that’s a positive sign, and it’s not hard to see why he would choose to wear a Teflon suit at this stage; you are best served if he ignores the many insults on his character in this thread and focuses on the task at hand.

AltGrendel, ak56, Ikkir and 2 others like this.
  17. seventhson

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    There’s lots of things that could have been done in hindsight. But we are where we are. Hopefully the basses get finished, which is an outcome that wasn’t in the cards at all until recently. So despite all the negative emotions over the years, Darrin’s recent activities actually represents a positive development. I know that’s hard to swallow for some of you. But consider the alternative if Darrin had just disappeared.

Ikkir, Pbassmanca and CatchaCuda like this.
  18. MattB88

MattB88 Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2016
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Alien Audio Basses, DR Strings, Warm Audio, Shaw Audio
    After a decade for some of these folks and nothing to show for it good faith goes out the window.... but the great thing about America is you are freely entitled to that opinion. :thumbsup:

Pbassmanca likes this.
  19. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

I'm not sure that they do. He has been offering empty promises of progress and delivery literally hundreds of times for over a decade, and yet has delivered few finished pieces. Darrin is undoubtedly technically capable of completing the backlog, but whether he will eat plate after plate of poopie and deliver all of the basses remains to be seen. If we were to fast forward 3 or 4 years from now, and found that sadly the majority of pieces remained incomplete, I would argue that for those who still had not received their orders, it might have been better that he had disappeared, than to have been cruelly strung along with decades of false hopes. That said, Huff might surprise the cynics and deliver like a boss. The harsh truth is, forced positivity is ignoring the fact that based on previous lack of performance, the odds are against complete delivery of all pieces....:rollno:

pcake, EddiePlaysBass and MattB88 like this.
  20. seventhson

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Well, I am one of those folks with nothing to show. However, there's a completed bass headed to Iceland and a lot of wood working activity for other basses, so I would say that qualifies as a positive development and supports the idea that Darrin is trying to make good on his commitments. You are certainly free to opine that everything he's done in the past few months is all smoke and mirrors. Again, I'm not guaranteeing to anyone that Darrin is going to fill his orders, I'm just saying that for anyone with an order, the recent activity is a positive step despite how you feel about him personally or what he's done in the past.