1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    I have seen people with mental illness and personality disorders; some of them are hyper-creative, like DH. I don't believe he's a scam artist but a man who cannot focus on his responsibilities. Is that a fault? Yes, but I believe he has a condition that has brought him to this juncture and as someone above said, the status quo probably preys on his mind all the time.

Pfff....not sure how I'd have handled waiting 12 years on a bass but I hope the guy comes good. Hope, as we know, is sometimes all a person has.

AltGrendel and Pbassmanca like this.
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I agree, and in light of this activity I've been avoiding skepticism/cynicism (been there done that, after all). I'm rooting for the guy to get everyone's basses done, and believe it's possible that he could complete some by the end of this year.

After all these years I can safely say that I'm free from false hope, but I have greater-than-zero hope and that's a change for the better.

3. This.

I know those with orders don't want to hear it but if he truly wanted to clear the backlog and deliver the basses he has been paid for he would have been working his day job and then putting in a couple of hours a night (at least) and a good 8 hours on the weekends building basses for the last 12 years. This is what so many small time custom builders already do. They don't make a living building basses so they have a day job. If the assumption that he has not been doing any work while working a day job is true then he's not serious.

The man that fixed up my necks for me is a perfectionist that builds unbelievable custom basses that are truly works of art. He's been doing it for over 30 years, still has a day job, and works out of his garage in his spare time. He estimates that even selling his basses for Fedora kind of prices that after all associated costs and the hours he puts in he's probably lucky to be making less than $20 per hour for his time but still does so.

4. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    And some of those fedoras can be pricey!

(Sorry... just trying to provide a little comic relief.)

BMGecko, BadJazz, jackn1202 and 2 others like this.
  5. Fuzzbass

That's basic time management. It's exactly what we've been hoping he could do since we placed the orders. Problem is, after all these years Darrin's proven that he's unable or unwilling to work that way. So, now he has a new plan of building guitars and basses full time. He's made "end of the year" promises to some of us at least, so we'll know soon enough what pans out.

Pbassmanca and Rob Martinez like this.
  6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    End of the year promises. How far away were the initial promises?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  7. Fuzzbass

The original 2018 promise was to complete 10 backordered basses prior to summer NAMM, which Darrin would then attend to debut his new Zeller guitar company. That plan did not work out, so he did not travel to NAMM.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  8. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    So the immediate question is without his day job, can he make enough building a few guitars to support himself and buy the materials needed to finish off the back orders? Or will he be back to the bartending or living on the streets in a few months?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    What was the time frame on the promise he made over a decade ago? I've never given this man any money but his promises wouldn't mean much to me if I was one of the people who have.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  10. Fuzzbass

IIRC the original ETA I was given in April 2003 was 6 months. I don't have time to provide the full rundown of subsequent promises given between then and now -- and besides, I'm trying to stick to the positive thru the end of this year.

I've tried not to talk about my expectations, aside from noting that I don't believe they are unrealistic. ;) Just sayin' that the latest developments have the potential to result in completed overdue basses, and I'm rooting for Darrin to follow through this time.

Rob Martinez likes this.
  11. Bloody auto correct!
    I even carefully typed it out properly..... but didn't check before posting.
    I'll leave it as is for the comic value.

Pendulous, Pbassmanca, ICM and 2 others like this.
  12. I know it's not what you want to hear but if that's the case he really has no desire to make things right. I'm sure most of you have come to that conclusion as well.

13. Fuzzbass

Over the past decade-plus we've considered every possibility, including obvious ones such as that. Not sure why you would think we haven't, or why you keep insisting we "don't want to hear" these things.

Not saying it's you, but I suspect that some people pop by this thread expecting torches, pitchforks, and fury, and when they don't see that they assume we're all sitting around the campfire singing kumbaya and expecting our basses to arrive any day now.

14. Not at all. I do keep an eye on the thread to see if there is any change and hope that sooner rather than later you might get your basses but these latest posts from Darrin Huff lead me to believe that he's not serious about being an instrument builder.

15. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    Darrin is doing an open house tomorrow (and next week?) if anybody is in Washington, may a TBer can check out the progress in person...

e7e1b07676ee67bec252a7a1f7cbc526.

16. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Gotta say, while I like seeing him actively building, it does sorta suck seeing all this progress being made on new guitars rather than the enormous backlog of basses.

I kinda understand why he's gotta do it (to make some cash selling these to keep him afloat financially)... but yeah, kinda stings when you've got a bass on order for close to 16 years now.

Just hoping this plan works out for him, since that means the basses should be finished up shortly.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  17. So he's quit working to build full time..... YET
    ....He's been building guitars in his spare time that he now wants to show off to people, obviously to try and get orders for them......
    But he still hasn't built the basses he's already been paid for.

Am I missing something?

If I was owed a bass and lived close enough I'd be going to the open home, grabbing a guitar and walking out.

basschanges and Pbassmanca like this.
  18. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    As poetic as that seems, I think you would be arrested.

19. Fuzzbass

Darrin claims that he will not take orders for guitars -- he will only sell finished product. He also claims that selling the guitars will provide living expenses so that he can work full time as a luthier, which will then allow him to complete the back-ordered basses.

Those are his claims. I'll withhold comment until the end of the year when we take stock of what he's accomplished. Again, he's promised to deliver some back-ordered basses (including mine) by the end of this year.

ak56 and Pbassmanca like this.
  20. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

That sure will be nice when he gets that bass to you. What exactly did you order from him again?