1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Sorry... you did say "what", not "when"! Specs:

5-string Z bass with carved scroll (as opposed to ball scroll shown in the previous post):
    dcp_5036-.

Specs have changed due to wood availability and changes in preference. I originally ordered 35" scale but recently requested 34", which made things easier for Darrin as mine was the only 35" in the queue.

Current config: flame maple neck with racing stripe. B/E maple board (I think). Contrasting wood binding (I think). Core wood will be Peruvian walnut, top and back laminates will be redheart, and there will be contrasting maple/walnut/maple veneers between top and core

I believe I'm still on for single MM-style pickup and a preamp of some kind, but I'm flexible.

19mm bridge spacing, 1.875 nut width. Wood knobs (I think). Black hardware.

I had never seen one in person (still haven't), but Darrin's original website had closeup photos of a few (3 or 4?) that he'd completed. I'd also seen a demo video by an early owner. In the ordering process I made my feelings known about string spacing and neck profile -- the most important keys to my happiness -- and Darrin's preferences matched mine. I also contacted a Huff bass owner who also owned a CT bass, along with others in that style (Browne?), and he testified that Darrin's work was superb.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    Yeah, neck profile, neck dive, the way the ergonomics feel when strapped on are all on the top of the list for me.There have been many times I've tried out a highly praised bass model that just didn't work for me,Alembic being the one that comes to mind mostly.

Fuzzbass and Pbassmanca like this.
  3. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Sounds gorgeous! Hmmmmm....single music man eh? Wouldn't it be nice just to have the option of a neck pickup though...? ;)

4. Pbassmanca

Does he wind his own pickups or is he using another manufacturer's? I think Delano makes a really sweet MM hybrid with matching humcancelling neck pickup set.

5. Fuzzbass

FWIW, I was thinking of the MM pickup in more of a middle position than the classic Stingray. Dual pickups have advantages, but this will be a 24 fret bass and I like to leave lots of room between pickup and neck: I'm not a very good slapper but have to do it every so often. :bag:

Pretty sure Darrin does not wind his own pickups. I was slated for a Nordstrand MM5.2, but don't know whether he still has it (or ever had it), so I'm flexible. Still a lot of wood carving to go before pickups enter the discussion, but it's good to think about 'em. Thanks for the suggestion. I've been seeing a lot of Delano love, and would definitely consider them.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've used the MM4.2 in the past, and have another MM4.2 going in a Stingray build that I should receive in the next week or two. It's a wonderful pickup, and I think you'd be hard-pressed to go wrong with the MM5.2 if that's what ends up in the bass. Definitely a little fatter than an Ernie Ball pickup. No experience with the Delano MM, but they have a reputation for great products, so I'm sure it's fantastic as well.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  7. Pbassmanca

Oh that's cool man! Yeah, maybe one of those tri or quad coil MM pickups in more of a middle position would give you quite a number of tonal options as well....:thumbsup:

8. Fuzzbass

I have the MM5.2 in a couple of basses (Keith, Sadowsky). It's a great pickup, for sure. Neither bass clones the MM tone (because neither has the MM preamp) but they get close enough for my satisfaction.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  9. Pbassmanca

I apologize if I didn't notice from a previous post, but will there be a preamp in the bass, or will it be a passive instrument?

10. Fuzzbass

Active. The original choice was a bartolini EZQ semi-parametric, but I'm flexible on that too.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  11. BMGecko

BMGecko

Sep 5, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Mr. Huff will be having an open house and providing beer and snacks. Perhaps if folks showed up they could simply take what was owed them in trade. Taking the guitars he has built along with his tools, backstock, wood, etc, could perhaps assist someone with payback.

And they could surely tell other open house attendees who doesn't know about his business practices about his dishonorable ways. And take the beer and snacks "to go".

12. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    The owner of the guitar shop is aware of Darrins current issues, and doesn’t care.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  13. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    He doesn't wind his own pickups, but I think I've seen where he has had some pickups made for him by Howard Ulayte.

I also made the pickups for my own bass that I have on order. Pictured here, on the left... another of his customer's pickups are on the right:
    multicoil_pickups.

I'm pairing that with an ACG-01 preamp... probably a bit obvious what kind of vibe I'm going for. :thumbsup:

14. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    These kinds of comments need to stop, they don't help anyone.

15. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    Cool....I like those.

16. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Which would be theft.

17. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I think it rhymes with Paul.

18. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Wal for days!

19. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Admittedly I don't know much about Darrin other than the broad strokes and what I have scanned from this thread every time it pops up in my watch list. So I don't know if he ever declared bankruptcy for example, or if like many boutique luthiers, his only creditors are the poor cats who ordered his basses. I mean we are 114 pages in with no end in sight the way he is going, right?

But what I will say is that every time I read this thread, or the SGD PUPs thread, or the Marco Serio thread, I realize that guys like Darrin, and Schwab and Serio are the reason that people won't buy boutique.

So many talented builders run their "businesses" without sufficient working capital or with none other than their deposits/down payments they receive for orders. In the best cases, they build great stuff and "grow broke" by reinvesting their cash on hand into purchasing more materials, paying their bills, etc. until they fall off the treadmill and can't get back on. In the worst cases, they are just horrible with financial and time management and your money goes into a black hole, i.e. their rent and other living expenses which is what appears to be the case with SGD.

It's pathetic really. And a shame because a few bad apples can spoil the bunch as my grandparent's grandparents used to say.

And it is a shame that this guy has a lifeline in a dealer that knows about his past and doesn't care.

It may be a cold comfort, but when SGC was thrown a bona fide lifeline by BBG, he burned them too. So odds are this thread may have some new subscribers over the course of the next year or so.

Anyway, I am sorry so many people got hosed here.

Fuzzbass and marko138 like this.
  20. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Maybe the moderators should think about locking this thread again until one of our fellow forum members gets the news that their long awaited bass has shipped?

I keep checking this thread with the high hopes that things are working out for the best but really it’s just the same unnecessary opinions spewed forth again.