1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WARNING: Darrin Huff Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Jun 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    As I said, that was just my understanding.

I probably shouldn't have posted that, and instead just let the owner, Krisjankisi, chime in. I'm guessing there's more to it than that... maybe he had a trip planned already?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  2. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    Am just keen to see the finished article!!

Rob Martinez, slowburnaz and Fuzzbass like this.
  3. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Me too, and more so how (hopefully) happy Kristjankisi is with the bass!

4. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    After all these years, what's a couple months in transit?

blablas likes this.
  5. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    This thread is no different than so many threads on TB, too many people talking about things of which they have no clue.

6. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    Like yourself

MattB88 likes this.
  7. I Had removed my post about the air travel and cost . Thinking about it now, my post may have not been very tasteful and definately did nothing to help. Sorry guys.

DiabolusInMusic and Rob Martinez like this.
  8. I don't think your post was unreasonable, in fact it makes a lot of sense given the nature of a lot of this. I asked earlier about the Iceland bass and no one responded. Perhaps the owner feels no responsibility to respond here, and that is ok. But those of us making queries did not start this thread, and have questions normal people have.

Pbassmanca, MattB88 and Yammybass like this.
  9. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles

Rob Martinez likes this.
  10. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    Let’s hope this isn’t a future thread:
    Bass to Iceland — 12 years and still waiting.

safikex, Trouztrouz, roogbass and 3 others like this.
  11. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Here's a thought that just popped in my head, my guitarist Mark and his girfriend are going to Iceland in December because the airline pricing is really cheap at the moment and there is apparently some cool things going on in Iceland in the month of December including the Northern Lights so maybe Kristjankisi's friend from Canada that has the bass is going to Iceland then, sure would make sense to me!!!!

Rob Martinez likes this.
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Hey, a bass-related post.

13. Lookin' good!

Pbassmanca and Fuzzbass like this.
  14. Steve-D

Steve-D

Jul 28, 2018
    Leesburg Florida
    I do

Pbassmanca, Farseer and MattB88 like this.
  15. Fuzzbass

According to a recent FB update, Darrin has decided to use stainless steel fretwire. Interesting choice. I've heard it tears up tools quicker than other wire types.

Anyway, I don't have a preference. I have EVO gold wire on my Martin Keith but the biggest thing I notice is that the gauge chosen is smaller than on my other basses (it was Martin's suggestion and I'm totally fine with it). Aside from that, the rest of my basses have the usual nickel silver fretwire.

16. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    In have a guitar with SS wire. The frets feel different on bends to me. More “slippery” is how I would describe it. That’s not at all scientific and completely anecdotal. Techs hate it unless they have SS specific tools.

Pbassmanca and Fuzzbass like this.
  17. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I'm a huge fan of SS.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  18. Fuzzbass

Interesting and useful comments about SS frets.

Because of the durability? Feel?

Or tone? I'm skeptical about this. I currently own the Keith with EVO wire and once owned a Warwick with bell brass wire, and never felt that there was anything in those fretwires that contributed to tone differently than nickel, but obviously I can't prove that it doesn't contribute.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  19. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I don’t think it’s a tone thing at all. If it is it’s so subtle that it would be hard to make a strong preferential case either way.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  20. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Durability. Which contributes to feel in the long run. Nickel can get grooves and slight imperfections and your fingertips are very sensitive so it can feel them (especially on a guitar when you are bending). Not that you can't easily overcome this minor nit, but it's so satisfying to play on something that feels like brand new frets every time all the time.

Like a finely tuned car.

Fuzzbass likes this.